Show me your center console

Rosco862003

Adventurer
So a bit of background: I have a 1994 Suburban that has recently had the front bench seat removed in favor of leather buckets from a later model, so I find myself with a large void in between the seats. Although a stock center console from a GMT400 would work, and are plentiful and cheap, I'm doubtful that it would be the best alternative in using the space to it's maximum potential. I know I want 2 cup holders and to be able to store things in reasonably sized compartments. I have a spare ammo box lying around that would look fitting in my Green vehicle but I've found that large cavernous consoles can be a bit of a PITA. Perhaps I could make a divider that splits up the space effectively. The 1994 Suburban came with an oddly proportioned radio, that requires an aftermarket radio to be installed in a different spot altogether, which had me curious about the tuffy center consoles with the radio slot. The one issue I see with the radio installed at my hip is that I might have to take my eyes off the road for a bit, unless I have a remote, and although this is only a split second that I'd be doing this, that's all it takes for traffic to come to a complete stop. Does anyone else have any experience with this, or am I over exaggerating here?

rayra

Expedition Leader
The answer to your concerns is not messing with the radio controls while moving. Or simply modifying your dash to take a common pattern radio. A company called Metra makes all manner of brackets for doing so. And there's an endless stream of YouTube videos showing people doing so. There's room for a great many stereo designs in your existing dash.

I took an intermediate console out, which tied the dash and between-seats console together and held a tape deck and small pocket for CD cases and replaced it with a custom built rack / console designed to both hold and conceal CB and HAM radio installations.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ling-and-heavy-gage-power-lines-under-vehicle

console41_zpsgnmvlkvi.jpg
console42_zpsukkjgrew.jpg
console43_zpssqzpytib.jpg
console44_zpsyhnluyuo.jpg

More detailed construction pics and descriptions in that topic.

Since you are starting with a blank slate and it's a large volume of space, the sky's the limit on what you could incorporate. Radios, power inverters, secure vault storage, drink and smartphone / tablet mounting, all sorts of amazing things you could do. The limit is your imagination and budget. You could have a largish tablet mounted high center, a la all the new vehicles these days. Coupled with navigation and mapping it would be a great place for it. You could integrate one of the many bracket designs into your console so the tablet is held securely. Or use a slide slot so you can just slide it in. As I just did this week in a garage mount -

ipadrack08_zpstib1vszf.jpg

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Its a ford Bronco and not a cheby, but like you, I wasn't exactly satisfied with the original "bucket" center console and the lousy cupholders it came with. So I threw in a console from a 2013 Raptor pickup in there. Didn't need to replace the radio or anything like that, but I thought I'd throw it up here anyways.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I still need to do some detail work of course, but its already working WAY better than the original.

Like rayra said, you're only real limit is your imagination. Maybe you can find a more modern console to throw in there that would fit what you want.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
While those consoles are a great use of space, and look great, my 4wd shifter interferes with something going completely to the dash, unless I off set it and do some cutting. I believe I'm leaning towards an ammo can with a drop in divider of sorts. I'll stick with the metra kit which relocates the radio, instead of trying to figure something else out. I'll upload a few pictures when I get things knocked out.

rayra

Expedition Leader
you might ask a mod to move your topic to the Communications or navigation subforums, as much of that stuff involves center console mods. You might get more responses that way

Summit Cruisers Jr

I recently built a console for my Land Cruiser after needing a secure way to store camera gear and electronics. My dad has a Tuffy in one of his FJ40s and the radio in it doesn't seem very distracting. I built my own console since to replace the tiny one that would only hold a pair of sunglasses and several CDs in it.
This was my original console.
image.jpeg
I started with several cardboard mock ups and eventually started cutting out metal and bending it up.
image.jpeg
Instead of putting a head unit in it, I cut out a place to fit a bunch of switches so I could cleanly rewire all of my accessories. I also threw in a dual USB port, voltmeter, and a USB/aux port that connects to the head unit. I also put a 12v outlet down on the side that my CB radio plugs into while hanging on the side right there. Then I had a pad made up and my logo digitized and sown in.
image.jpeg

Wheelman

I have done this in several vehicles, but I always start the same way... with a trip to EBAY to buy a used police console from Havis Shield. These are built very well and will hold radios, cups, switch plates, serve as a bus for power, USB chargers etc PLUS serve as a place to mount your laptop tablet etc. In my experience, I could find most of the parts I needed (like custom radio faceplates) on Ebay, and then order the last couple of filler plates or accessories from a company like VLSUSA.com. Also, be sure to order a bag of the Torx screws from VLS or Havis to ensure a clean finished look.

fogo

The only photo I have is a work-in-progress one, but you can see the general idea. Like AFBronco235 up above, the original Bronco console was worthless to me. I just finished swapping in one from a '99 Expedition I picked up at a salvage yard for $13.

Now I've got a place to mount both my FT-8800 and CB, somewhere to rest my phone, little storage pockets on the sides, and 12V power sockets in the back for the kids. And of course, better cupholders.

IMG_3219.jpg

Shawn686

Observer
Here is mine:

The blank switch cover now has a dimmer switch for the lights on the console and two of the lighter plugs are actually the blue sea USB charging ports

Shawn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles