Importing Routes/Creating Route on Ipad

RedStripeRanger

Hi everyone-

Finally decided to put down the paper map and start using my Ipad Mini for Nav. I have the Bad-elf GPS unit and am using the MotionX app. The one thing I cant figure out is how do I get a pre-loaded route in MotionX? Do I need to import a map (.gpx file) onto my Ipad? And where do I get those- alltrails.com or trails.com?

I have searched the forum for the answer but just a lot of debating on which app is better. I do not want to start another one of those threads- simply looking for a way to get pre-loaded routes on my Ipad.

Thanks for the help,
Reed

v_man

Explorer
What I do sometimes is go to a website like http://www.scribblemaps.com/. Then I hand draw with the cursor or mouse, a route that I want to follow. Then I can create a KML or GPX file of that route, and download it to MotionX, and then follow it out in the field . It's useful to be able to send the drawn route to others as well.

The only downside is that sometimes it takes a while to draw a route on a map 'by hand' , but hey it works ....

Lancer

Observer
Not really on topic as such, but I'd suggest keeping a paper map as well as electronic - in my experience (and I love satnavs) its amazing how often gadgets go belly up just when you REALLY need them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz