naturaly asprtated vs forced induction

punisher1130

Adventurer
This isn't really aimed for anything specific just a general question to cover all types of areas and terrains but is aimed more to expo vehicle's that are underpowered ( like jeeps and other vehicle's that don't have a lot of power like v8s). Is it worth using turbos or superchargers on a expo rigs or is it better to keep it n/a?

ExplorerTom

Explorer
In the type of terrain and type of travel that I've done, I've never been left wanting power. I've been loaded down at nearly 14,000 feet and haven't needed more power. The V6 in my Explorer has been plenty.

I do have 4.56 gears to combat the 33" tires. Without gears, a power adder might be necessary- but even then it would be way down on the list.

Even going over the paved passes at highway speed, maintaining the posted speed limit has not been a problem

Rot Box

Explorer
For the most part I'm a firm believer in leaving it stock, using genuine parts (or better) and not using bolt on power adders of any sort. That said turbocharging the ol' 6.9/7.3 IDI diesels like my Ford uses is one of the best things you can do to them in terms of reliability, fuel economy and power.

Other vehicles take a step backwards in reliability, fuel economy and power when a turbocharger/supercharger is added. Just depends on what it is I guess.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Matching gears to the loaded weight and tire size on a vehicle is far more important and effective than any type of forced induction on a gas vehicle, not to mention adding more moving parts under the hood is not a good idea in general. I have doubled the hp on several street and track cars and can work on turbo setups with my eyes closed, and I wouldn't even want to run a turbo on a trail rig. Diesel rigs are a bit different and can handle more heat and abuse.

punisher1130

Adventurer
Good info. But lets say I bought a gas engine that had a turbo or supercharger added onto it, would they live happy on trails in say like mountain areas or places where I would have to go through deep water? Or would it be a headache and just be worth sticking with a n/a motor or maybe worth the money to get a stroker kit for said vehicle? I know stock is usually better for expo but say if I wanted to bump the power just a little to help on top of gears. Hypothetically speaking of course.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
As with most things, if its done correctly it will be no less reliable than stock.

After having a turbo diesel, Ill never have another NA full size.
Loads of power when needed, and a fuel sipper when not.

And with regards to altitude, a boosted motor is effected much less in high altitudes than NA.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
If you keep the air intake out of the water, it doesn't matter if you are NA or FI.

Friend of mine put a supercharger on his 80-series. It was a TRD SC so the fit and finish was perfect. He's gone everywhere I've gone. He got a killer deal in it, otherwise wouldn't have done it. He does stop every once in awhile and pops the hood to keep the underhood temps down. Power adders like this generate more heat and when you're on a trail moving at 4-5 mph (tops), there's not a lot of airflow through the radiator. And in 4lo, the engine RPMs will be higher which is creating more heat. You just need to be aware of it. A cooling system in proper condition should be able to handle this just fine.

If it were me and the rig I was looking at had a turbo or SC then fine, l wouldn't let that factor one bit. And if it didn't, I wouldn't be looking to add one. Keep the motor stock and run it.

My Ranger is a 4 cylinder turbo diesel from the factory. I like the power when the turbo kicks in but there is definitely turbo lag. On the road it is great, offroad I wish it had more grunt. It really relies on the turbo to make its power. But I suppose if you were going to add it to an engine that already had decent power you would be ok. Just think about what rpm range you are typically driving in. If it is very low you may not actually see huge benefits on the trail because of the lag. It will be better but maybe not as much as you woulike think.

punisher1130

Adventurer
Ok cool, this was just something that made me curious with expo rigs so I thought I would ask and get some straight answers.

p nut

butter
If talking today's engines, I wouldn't sweat FI vs NA. I have an Ecoboost and have no second thoughts of reliability compared to its NA counterparts.

Arclight

SAR guy
I have a supercharger on my T100 with the V-6 5VZFE motor. It definitely helps when you want to pass someone at highway speed or go 75MPH up a hill. It doesn't really help at all off-road, IMO. The only disadvantages are the need for Premium fuel, and the fact that it puts more demands on the cooling system.

Arclight

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I have had many vehicles and done off roading from mild to pretty extreme; body damage likely (and I'm not talking sheet metal).
In my experience for the somewhat more than moderate forms of wheeling (less than extreme), in a small vehicle (less than 4,000 pounds loaded) 200 horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque are adequate if they occur at useable rpm. It should be noted that the reduction of power at higher altitudes can reduce this to problematic levels; on road there are rarely any issues, if gearing and/vs. tire size are close to optimum; for highly technical very difficult crawling high altitude obstacles; sometimes there can be power problems (95+% of people will likely never do this).
Virtually no one who does significant obstacles off road uses carburation any more (E.F.I is probably the best thing to ever hit wheeling; better even than lockers, IMO).
Many times, I have wished for even 5,000 ft (altitude) performance at/near tree line using 6 cylinder engines. Super/turbo charging would provide this but is really more trouble than is necessary for the rare (virtually never since I got away from hard core wheeling) need, IMO.
Changing to a small V-8 is cheaper and easier.
Enjoy!

punisher1130

Adventurer
I have had many vehicles and done off roading from mild to pretty extreme; body damage likely (and I'm not talking sheet metal).
In my experience for the somewhat more than moderate forms of wheeling (less than extreme), in a small vehicle (less than 4,000 pounds loaded) 200 horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque are adequate if they occur at useable rpm. It should be noted that the reduction of power at higher altitudes can reduce this to problematic levels; on road there are rarely any issues, if gearing and/vs. tire size are close to optimum; for highly technical very difficult crawling high altitude obstacles; sometimes there can be power problems (95+% of people will likely never do this).
Virtually no one who does significant obstacles off road uses carburation any more (E.F.I is probably the best thing to ever hit wheeling; better even than lockers, IMO).
Many times, I have wished for even 5,000 ft (altitude) performance at/near tree line using 6 cylinder engines. Super/turbo charging would provide this but is really more trouble than is necessary for the rare (virtually never since I got away from hard core wheeling) need, IMO.
Changing to a small V-8 is cheaper and easier.
Enjoy!

Yeah I don't have any plans of getting extreme but the info is still very useful.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Are you talking OEM setups or adding forced induction on an otherwise NA motor?

Most OEM vehicles running FI are going to come with the usual items to battle the higher torque and more heat. Like tranny coolers, larger rad, stronger engine internals, etc. I think if you're turbocharging a trail rig that came NA, you're going to have to think about the heat. Getting enough cooling at crawling speeds is going to be an issue. That means some giant fans with proper shrouds and probably some hood louvers are going to be needed.

And unless you're running a fancy engine management system where you can change the maps on the fly, or a flexfuel type system, you're going to have to think about being able to find high octane fuel wherever you're going. When you're loaded down for a trip you're going to be in that boost more often and that means more heat and that means higher chance of detonation.

And turbocharged rigs at crawling speeds trying to navigate through technical terrain can be tricky. Tapping into that boost when you don't want to can break some stuff really quickly.

I'd say the only place having FI that would be beneficial would be on the highway, while towing, or at high altitudes. Otherwise I think running proper gearing will probably get you by in most cases.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Are you talking OEM setups or adding forced induction on an otherwise NA motor?

Most OEM vehicles running FI are going to come with the usual items to battle the higher torque and more heat. Like tranny coolers, larger rad, stronger engine internals, etc. I think if you're turbocharging a trail rig that came NA, you're going to have to think about the heat. Getting enough cooling at crawling speeds is going to be an issue. That means some giant fans with proper shrouds and probably some hood louvers are going to be needed.

And unless you're running a fancy engine management system where you can change the maps on the fly, or a flexfuel type system, you're going to have to think about being able to find high octane fuel wherever you're going. When you're loaded down for a trip you're going to be in that boost more often and that means more heat and that means higher chance of detonation.

And turbocharged rigs at crawling speeds trying to navigate through technical terrain can be tricky. Tapping into that boost when you don't want to can break some stuff really quickly.

I'd say the only place having FI that would be beneficial would be on the highway, while towing, or at high altitudes. Otherwise I think running proper gearing will probably get you by in most cases.

He is talking adding F/I to a factory N/A motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000