New guy - looking at 2003 100 - opinions needed

74makoLKN

Hi folks. New here. Have only posted in jeep forum a couple times. I've been a jeep guy for a long time - on my 6th jeep now. However I am now looking at a 2003 series 100. I'd like some opinions on whether I am looking at a decent rig, if the asking price is reasonable, and if not reasonable, what would be?

First let me say I have not had it checked by my mechanic - this is happening on Monday. I have looked at it once and test driving tmrw morning. Here are the details: *vehicle is in NC. *asking price is $14700. *146,000 miles on the odo. car history shows that 101,000 were in NY and PA. *To my untrained eye, I see almost no rust and none on the body. I climbed all over underneath looking for evidence of rust or some sort of coating and none found *Timing belt has been done, but not sure when. *interior is exceptionally clean. The only thing that stands out is worn, stained carpet at rear seats, likely from kids climbing in/out. Also, when I looked at it, the center touch screen assembly was missing. It was supposedly sent off to be repaired b/c of a flashing screen and has sense been repaired and reinstalled.

Now for the sketchy part...vehicle has salvage title. Seller's story is as follows: his wife's boss had a front end collission. Insurance totaled the vehicle. Seller purchased the vehicle and did all the repairs himself. Repairs included only "body work" on the front end. Quarter panels were not damaged. Hood was straightened, not replaced. Radiator was replaced and frame around radiator required metal work and welding. Seller says he has receipts, etc. To evidence all work done. I have not seen them yet.

Any advice, opinions, and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ulySSes

Observer
His wife's boss? PO did all the work himself? In his garage? Eh

Salvage titles make me run either way. I'd keep looking.

Check out MUDs classifieds.

Last edited:

74makoLKN

Yeah i know. A bit disconcerting to say the least. Not sure it helps, but current owner/seller bought it damaged and did all the repair work.

ulySSes

Observer
Also priced high for a salvage titled hundy imo. I think it'd be difficult to resale if you ever decide to. Not knowing 100% if or when the timing belt was replaced and the touch screen missing would also throw me off. Who knows what electrical gremlins might be lurking. Plenty of nice ones around for that price. Took me a couple months to find mine. Search around in other cities/states near you. It'd be worth to fly to it if it checks out ok and drive it home.

Good luck and welcome, btw.

Benc

Explorer
The salvaged title wouldn't always be deal breaker for me but at that price it would. That price is about what a similar clear title LC would go for. It can also be tough to get full coverage on a salvaged vehicle.
If I were going to buy it with the salvaged title I would probably pay around 7-8k not 14k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I'm with Benc 100%. If you are going to buy a salvage titled vehicle, it should be priced accordingly. That vehicle is priced around what a clean titled vehicle would be. No freaking way at 14.7K.

Couple things with that too . . .

It can be difficult to get insurance beyond collision for salvage titled vehicles. Secondly, the damage needed to be EXTENSIVE to total a landcruiser. Best case, even at it's current price, the damage would have needed to be at least 50% of the market value ($7500). That is a lot of damage - to the extent that I doubt it could be repaired to 100%. And that is a conservative estimate - it could have been more like 75% of 22K. Even without the salvage title, I wouldn't pay that much for a vehicle with that kind of accident history.

I know it is hard to find good 100 series - trust me, I have been looking for a LONG time. But you can do much better than this. There is a decent one by me in Roanoake, VA for 14K with 175K. It is coming due for it's second timing belt, but I would get that one way before I would touch the one you are looking at.

It's your money and only you can judge what your time is worth. But man, I really think you can do a lot better.

74makoLKN

Thanks so much for the input. Here is where things stand as of today: I went to look at the vehicle for the second time today and I drove it for the first time. Everything feels solid. Shifts into 4lo smothly. Brakes are good, tight and not soft at all. All electric appeared operational. A/c blows cold. All doors, trunk, hood closed and latched as they should. Etc, etc. All the normal stuff seemed fine.

Only thing I noticed was what could be a slight vibe in the drive line when gas was floored and RPM hit around 3500. It wasn't come g through the steering g wheen but there was something there. I couldn't pin point t what it was. Also, I had to argue with the guy about the 4x4. I asked if I could drive on a gravel rd. to engage 4x4 and lock the center diff. He attempted to convince me that b/c the LC is full time 4x4 that putting it in Lo was the same as Hi. I eventually convicted him that he was wrong and everthing checked out, but I had to tell him I wouldn't consider purchase without engaging Lo and explaine that it is highly recommended to not engage on pavement. What an a**hat.

Told the guy I didn't want to pay for mechanic to check it if we were too far apart on price. He would not budge off of $13000. We agreed to have the mechanic check it and see where things are.

I'm guessing based on previous replies that y'all would suggest that I not waste my $ on the mechanic at that price??

To add to the story. We took my wife's outback to look at the vehicle and while we were out test driving the LC, the Seller's wife backed into the Subi. Driver door is gonna have to be replaced. What a bummer. Just got to laugh I guess.

Thanks again for any thoughts, advice, suggestions. Even if it is simply to "run away."

74makoLKN

After all that long winded response forgot to add that I've already checked in insurance. My provider will cover it.

And Seller says he will provide parts list from repairs he did that totals $7000. Tells me that if he bought it for $1000 in totaled/wrecked condition he is trying g to pocket $3-4000 after sale.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Sorry to hear about your Subie. I still say run - I just don't think it is a 13K vehicle. If you ever decide to sell it, you will never get market value out of it. Good idea, however, to see what work was actually completed.

By the way, here is the vehicle I mentioned: http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/658404549/overview/

I actually think it is Charlottesville, not Roanoke, but not a bad drive from NC. The 30K additional miles would be far more preferable to me than the accident history, rust belt history, and salvage title of the vehicle you are considering. The one linked above is coming due for a timing belt service though. Either way, I think it is a far better way to spend 13K on a 100 series.

74makoLKN

Marc - thanks again for the input. I've really been trying hard to talk myself into this vehicle, but things just keep adding up against it. I found another Hundy a couple hours away. '00 with 140k on the clock. Rear locker. 2 owner. Current owner bought it from his sister. Souther car its whole life.

There are folks who got in line ahead of me who are driving from KnoxvilleTN to look at it today, but seller says I'm next up if deal doesn't go through. My guess is that it will be gone today. Holdi g out hope tho. Got the VIN on it but wait g to see if I should pay for history report until I know if it sold today.

jhawk

Adventurer
If it was a good buy it would be in your driveway. Waiting for the right one is hard, but you'll be happier in the end.

Jim

wolfcw1

FWIW - the rear locker was discontinued post 99. OF course they could've swapped one in but I'd verify that.

74makoLKN

I bailed on the salvage title LC. I ended up with an '06 4Runner. Not exactly what I wanted to do but it made more sense for now. Hopefully my search for an LC will resume in a year or so. Thanks so much to everyone for the input and advice.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I'm glad you didn't get the salvage 100 series. It sounds like you still ended up with a great vehicle. I know how hard it is to find a good 100 series which is why I am driving a GX470. If I had to do it over, I probably would have just got the 4Runner. That said, I continue to look for the right 100 series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior