ebay: 2004 Mercedes-Benz Unimog U500 - $249,900 BIN

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The box could be reconfigured for much less than starting from zero Ron. And perhaps the spare could be relocated just a bit lower?!

The one I drove when they were new Stateside had the ability to slide the steering from side to side inside the cab, which would be perfect for world travel. Not sure if it was optional or standard on all of them.

That was an option that some had - not this one. A bigger issue may be that it looks like all the hydraulics were removed (blanking plates in the center console).

4milesurfer

That was an option that some had - not this one. A bigger issue may be that it looks like all the hydraulics were removed (blanking plates in the center console).

Just out of curiosity... why are the hydraulics necessary on a U500 expedition vehicle?

evilfij

Explorer
The box could be reconfigured for much less than starting from zero Ron. And perhaps the spare could be relocated just a bit lower?!

The one I drove when they were new Stateside had the ability to slide the steering from side to side inside the cab, which would be perfect for world travel. Not sure if it was optional or standard on all of them.

I don't even have a passport so no international travel for me. The box I don't like because of the configuration. I agree it could be modified, but without seeing it in person (no chance of me getting any time off work to see it), it is hard to know how much of an undertaking that may be. I have always wanted a U500, but I would use it mainly as a pickup truck, a very cool pick up truck. :)

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I don't even have a passport so no international travel for me. The box I don't like because of the configuration. I agree it could be modified, but without seeing it in person (no chance of me getting any time off work to see it), it is hard to know how much of an undertaking that may be. I have always wanted a U500, but I would use it mainly as a pickup truck, a very cool pick up truck. :)

Here you go bring it back to 1982. Not mine.
00p0p_c6Kj2HdTgl2_1200x900.jpg
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5646672334.html

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
It's strange, I watch prices bounce around like that on ebay all the time.

I got curious and emailed the sellers - it has an interesting option list for a U500. It was apparently ordered with street tires and no hydraulics/PTO (though appears to be running the XZLs now). Pretty standard options otherwise (no vario, no CTIS, no auto-shift transmission)

1range

Adventurer
It was formally a Baja chase truck/ mechanics chase truck, one of like 3 or something the team had. The exterior shell was custom and built specifically for the teams needs. I thought about buying it and turning it into a expedition truck! It is worth every dime of what they are asking now... I mean I would offer 100, I think that's what he has in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior