Show me your custom fridge slides

JCDriller

Adventurer
Getting close finishing my fridge slide.

This enclosure accomplishes a few things. 1. It keeps people out of the fridge when the top is off. Obviously it's wood so we're just keeping honest people honest. 2. Allows me to store my camp stove above the fridge and take advantage of that space. 3. It keeps items that are stacked up from falling behind the fridge when the fridge is pulled out. (most important)

Photo of the Coleman stove on top of the enclosure. I'll bungee it down.

I drilled out some 2" vent holes so the fridge can properly breath. I'll be installing gutter mesh on the inside to keep debris (dog hair) from getting sucked into the fridge.

The glue is currently curing, but in the end the enclosure will sanded and finished in the same BEHR Deck Over paint at the box. This stuff is extremely tuff. The enclosure attaches to the slider using 6 1/4x20 T nuts and still allows me perfect access to the trap door so I can reach anything stored in the factory cubby under the drawer. Also the power cord will be attached via bungee so that it retracts when the fridge is pushed in.

Finally, I'll be fabricating a drawer that goes in the space under the fridge slider. This drawer will be nice and long, should hold plates, silverware and any cooking utensils I'll need.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Thanks man, they are Ridid tool boxes from Home Depot. They are fantastic! Lifetime warranty and made in Israel not China.

RiDE

Observer
Very nice build! I definitely might be copying your fridge slide setup. Whats the measurement of the top of your fridge slide? It looks like it might work perfectly for my Dometic 65L.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Very nice build! I definitely might be copying your fridge slide setup. Whats the measurement of the top of your fridge slide? It looks like it might work perfectly for my Dometic 65L.

I don't know the measurements off the top of my head, but I doubt it'll fit your 65L, the Arctec cooler has a smaller foot print that most 50L fridges.

KBC

Your earlier design shows another table section that folds off of the centre. Any reason you decided not to include this part?
Thanks!

JCDriller

Adventurer
Your earlier design shows another table section that folds off of the centre. Any reason you decided not to include this part?
Thanks!

That design requires custom bent heavy aluminum or stainless sheeting. I couldn't find anyone to bend it for a reasonable price.

We just did a 9 day vacation through Big Sur, Yosemite and Sequoia. The slide and table worked fantastic.

Cooking lunch at Morro Rock Ca

Fresh ground and pressed coffee somewhere along the way.

Ray_G

Explorer
Late to the party since I mostly lurk in just the Rover forum but I needed my fridge to both slide and tilt so a lot of measuring and such later resulted in allowing my vertically challenged self to access my fridge fairly easily:
IMG_1654.jpg
IMG_1655.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg
Spring Break 14_packout.jpg

Sadly don't have any at hand of me accessing it tilted down since I'm taking pics and I'm usually the one reaching in, but it should at least show the concept.
r-
Ray

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Ray_G: So you don't disconnect the fridge, just access it while it's at a 45 deg angle? I was just wondering how all these people reach into the top of their fridges and see
the bottom without a ladder. Especially if the truck is lifted. I would like to put my fridge behind the passenger seat (RH side in Canada) to slide out the door on my
Land Cruiser 60. This kind of a tilting idea I hadn't worked out but what you have might be a place to start. Nice LR, J

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray_G: So you don't disconnect the fridge, just access it while it's at a 45 deg angle? I was just wondering how all these people reach into the top of their fridges and see
the bottom without a ladder. Especially if the truck is lifted. I would like to put my fridge behind the passenger seat (RH side in Canada) to slide out the door on my
Land Cruiser 60. This kind of a tilting idea I hadn't worked out but what you have might be a place to start. Nice LR, J

Nope, I was concerned that the cord would get tangled but in truth its really not that much motion and there is room under the slide for the slack of the cord, i.e. I pull the fridge out, then tilt-when replacing it the fridge tilts up and then slides back in with some element of the cord just tucking under the slide as it goes back into the truck but not that much to be a concern and never an issue in practice.

For the VOT I fabbed a frame up to replace the 40 section of my Disco's 60/40 rear seat since it was just my wife and I in the truck, truthfully having it in the passenger area is optimal but with a wife + two kids that wasn't sustainable, hence the slide/tilt...and a lot of TNF waterproof duffels for the roof rack, etc (since its a wife & two daughters who come with a decent sized luggage footprint that cannot fit inside the Disco)
That configuration:
Fridge install.jpgConsole & Fridge Shelf Fab DS.jpg

JCDriller

Adventurer

Mine is tight, but I can see in and reach anything I need. even with the top's limited opening I can get Milk or OJ from the rear most compartment. My wife on the other hand has a hard time and must stand on one of the boxes we pack our gear in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz