pressing in upper ball joints

bkbroiler00

Observer
i pressed in the upper balljoint into the knuckle. we really cranked on the bj press, and the ball joint seems to be fully seated, however the groove for the retaining ring isn't showing. do i need to crank it even more and try to get the groove to show, or does the upper ball joint not use the retaining ring? the old one doesn't have it, but i just want to make sure. thanks for the feedback!

djbonsu

Adventurer
There isn't a groove or snap ring for the upper ball joints so as long as it is seated well (from what you can see up top) it should be good. Only the lower ball joints have a groove and snap ring. Remember to grease and remove the 90 deg zerk fitting and plug it with the plug (if supplied) as it should only be used when servicing the ball joint. If you leave the 90 deg zerk in, you will have clearance issues with the half shaft axles.

Last edited:

jblaze5779

Observer
There isn't a groove on the upper. Also, the groove is on the knuckle not on the ball joint. If you can't see the groove on the knuckle you've (somehow) pressed the ball joint in to far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier