Simpson crossing - 2016

Bris31

Adventurer
Anyone with Canter interested in Simpson crossing?

We are group of about 4 Prados & Patrols + 1 Canter (FG649 SWB) planning for Simpson desert crossing from Mt Dare to Birdsville starting Fri 24th June.

Send me PM for more info.

Also appreciate if you can part your knowledge if you have done this trip in a Canter.

Cheers

HazMan

Observer
I did this crossing last year on bikes with a Canter as backup vehicle. We did it starting from Birdsville.

Tyre pressure is critical to getting up the dunes.

The dune face on the Western side, the side you will be coming from, is not as steep as the Eastern side due to the way the wind forms the dunes. Unfortunately, the Western side is very rough due to more traffic this way and especially vehicles stopping at the crest then starting again diggs big holes on the upper sections of the incline.

I was watching our Canter come down these rough dunes and both back wheels were often in the air! Maybe because our driver was always flat out trying to keep up with the bikes.....

If you get your tyre pressure right you will do it easy. We never got it bogged coming from the East on the steeper sides.

Sean

Bris31

Adventurer
Thanks Sean, that was good to know some first hand experience.
I was watching our Canter come down these rough dunes and both back wheels were often in the air!
Sean
That is bit scary!

Do you know what GVM Canter was (<4500 kg or 6000kg)? Also the what was the tyre pressure?

Cheers
Brij

Skennedy

Adventurer
I have made that trip from The West to the East, make sure you watch the weather for rain before and during your trip....those salt flats get muddy.We did it in two Discoverys so as far as the Canter I cannot comment.
Awesome trip look forward to doing it again.

Fugly

Adventurer
Bris31
Have a look on ATW site..
There is a story / testimonial ...
by a bloke that has some good info on tyre pressures....
For sand and the Simmo

Cheers Fugly

kanga1

Observer
No worries, we're in Birdsville a few days before the BRB and for the duration, heading for Alice Springs via Boulia on the 7, hopefully in a 2012 Fuso ATW! Going to Toowoomba on Wednesday to pick it up. You never know, might see you around> Cheers, Kanga.

Bris31

Adventurer
Coming from west side on QAA line, we would be passing by Big Red on 28th June. Depending on the group's mood, we might stay one night on the red dune itself. Could be very cold though.
Cheers
Brij

Fugly

Adventurer
Bris ,
Would love to join you on this trip across The Simmo....
Unfortunately my work roster doesn't suit the time frame....
My contract is winding up Aug /Sept ....
Next time .....

Cheers Fugly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles