Mapping on my tablet

MOguy

Explorer
I have been playing around with Here for a few days. One thing I have noticed some of the sat views of areas I have checked the sat views are old. One sat view was in Oklahoma. The section I looked at the sat view was over 5 years old. It didn't show a new road that was built 5 years ago and there were a couple of new houses not shown. I know the houses were 5 years old. I looked another area over in the UP of MI. That sat view was over 2 years old.

Anyone else noticed this problem???

I have been using HERE for a couple months and the "satellite" views in my are are non existent. They are just green background and worthless. I am in a rural area and the maps itself have been excellent, they even show the out of the way rural county dirt roads.

PhilipE

Observer
That new road I know of in Ok is not on the topo map or road map. I would expect it to be on maps by now. :rolleyes:

I plan on checking out some other nav progams anyway. I thought I would check and see if anyone else has noticed it.

Hi all,

Well, I took the plunge yesterday and purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablet for $200. Light weight and big screen (9.4 inch.) Downloaded HERE today and have been playing around with it.

Question: on dedicated GPS devices they will note the speed you are moving, the altitude you are located at, etc. Is there software that will provide that info to load on my new Galaxy tablet?

Thanks,

Alan
Tablet GPS greenhorn

MOguy

Explorer
Hi all,

Well, I took the plunge yesterday and purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab E tablet for $200. Light weight and big screen (9.4 inch.) Downloaded HERE today and have been playing around with it.

Question: on dedicated GPS devices they will note the speed you are moving, the altitude you are located at, etc. Is there software that will provide that info to load on my new Galaxy tablet?

Thanks,

Alan
Tablet GPS greenhorn
When you driving a route in here it know the speed limits, your speed and if you are speding.

Joe917

Explorer
Is free for on road turn by turn or more suited for off road?

I don't use it "turn by turn" as such. The mapping works just as well on or off road. pretty much every trail in the south west or in Baja has shown up on Maps,me. Often the Garmin has been way off when Maps,me is right on. The really nice thing working with a tablet is you can get an overall view of surrounding trails.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I recommend Here and Co pilot. Both are really good. NO one does SAT imagery as well as Google. If I want sat images, I go google everytime. For topo usage I use Canada topo. It is made by a company called atlogis. they make the same app for most every country I think. I have seen them for most. Good program, easy to use.

Arclight

SAR guy
I recommend installing "GPS Test" on all of your Android devices. It's a lightweight app that will give you LAT/LON, elevation, satellite status, and other standard info that a dedicated trail GPS does. If you ever get stuck and need to call for help, don't fool around with trying to drop pins on Google Earth or whatever. Just pull that out, and write down the coordinates before you call. This app is also nice for verifying things are working.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en

Arclight

digitaldelay

Explorer
I recommend installing "GPS Test" on all of your Android devices. It's a lightweight app that will give you LAT/LON, elevation, satellite status, and other standard info that a dedicated trail GPS does. If you ever get stuck and need to call for help, don't fool around with trying to drop pins on Google Earth or whatever. Just pull that out, and write down the coordinates before you call. This app is also nice for verifying things are working.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chartcross.gpstest&hl=en

Arclight
Installed. Thank you!

Jason

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94