2005 ish Burban vs. 2010 + Tundra CrewMax with cap

hikingff77

Adventurer
What are your thoughts as a long trip family of four, sometimes 5, plus possibly two dogs.

The Suburban is obviously much more affordable.

I like the CrewMax a lot, but it doesn't have third row seating, etc. But it's so huge, three could easily sit in the back.

Does anyone have experience with either? Good or bad? Photos please!

justcuz

Explorer
I have lots of experience with Suburbans, none with the Tundra. You already mentioned the cost. Think about the majority of usage and buy for that. If you primarily drive in town the shorter wheelbase of the Suburban may be a consideration. The Suburban cargo floor with the third row removed and the second row folded down is longer than the bed of the Tundra. Depending on power train the Suburban will average better fuel mileage.
All this being said if you need a crew cab truck more than a people hauler, get the truck. If your primary concern is a people mover, get the Suburban.
There are several Suburban and Tahoe threads here with varying levels of add ons.
I'm sure there a few Tundras in the Toyota section and they have their own forum too.
Two of my Suburbans have over 250,000 miles on them with no major work. Both still have their original engines and transmissions.

gmwelder86

Adventurer
Had an 08 tundra now have a 08 suburban 2500. For 5 people plus animals suburban hands down. The truck bed is nice for truck things but nothing beats the interior space you get with a suburban.

joshjan

I have a tundra crewmax. Love it. Really love it because it's paid off! i also looked at suburbans but decided I wanted a truck bed and we could use our van for long road trips. I would decide what the main use will be and go from there.
I was really in the hunt for the rare crewmax with front bench but settled for buckets when a good deal came up.

p nut

butter
Yeah, I'd say unless you need a truck bed, go with something with a 3rd row. It will keep the peace in the family.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Even if you need a truck bed, consider the Suburban. A sturdy canvas tarp makes a lot of things possible.

sublumbercapacity_zpsa5ztp6ya.jpg

Big50

Adventurer
Can't go wrong with either. The real thing to consider is towing capacity, unless you're going with a 2500 Burban, I'd go with the Toyota since you plan on getting a cap.

If towing isn't a consideration, the Burban would probably be better just to have the extra people hauling capacity which is convenient. My wife has a Yukon XL and it comes in handy when the family is visiting or we have a long road trip planned and my parents come.

That being said I've been incredibly unimpressed with GM's build quality when it comes to interiors. The Yukon is a 13 and it squeaks more than my Raptor does and it's got 20,000 offroad miles on it. Everything looks cheap on the interior. The funny thing is the MSRP on a Yukon XL SLT was damn near the Raptor's. Anyhow, not the same vehicle your considering but I wouldn't think a 2005 would be better.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Silly thing to ding them for, as the GMC and Chevy variants aren't touted for a luxurious interior. They're family trucksters. You want bling, pony up for an Escalade, Navigator, or Range Rover etc. Even the 'LT' upgrade in both the GMC and Chevy are no great shakes. It amounts to little more than leather upholstery and a few more electronic controls, when it comes to the interior fitment.
And if **** squeeks, inside or under, maybe do some maintenance / lubrication.

justcuz

Explorer
My Suburbans may develop a squeak or two over time and usually after an off road trip. I usually find it is from the second or third seat latches or hinge mechanism. I spray lube the pivot points and latches and it usually settles them down. Also make sure all your trim pieces on the interior are snapped in properly. I had some rear AC work done and the guy did not install a rear trim panel properly that squeaked until I found it.
Personally I prefer the simplicity of the LS engine over Fords modular engines and I've never seen a bent Suburban frame!

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Can't go wrong with either. The real thing to consider is towing capacity, unless you're going with a 2500 Burban, I'd go with the Toyota since you plan on getting a cap.

If towing isn't a consideration, the Burban would probably be better just to have the extra people hauling capacity which is convenient. My wife has a Yukon XL and it comes in handy when the family is visiting or we have a long road trip planned and my parents come.

That being said I've been incredibly unimpressed with GM's build quality when it comes to interiors. The Yukon is a 13 and it squeaks more than my Raptor does and it's got 20,000 offroad miles on it. Everything looks cheap on the interior. The funny thing is the MSRP on a Yukon XL SLT was damn near the Raptor's. Anyhow, not the same vehicle your considering but I wouldn't think a 2005 would be better.

I'd have to say there probably is a little difference. My 2005 Silverado is much more solid inside than the 2013 I had as work truck, even though my personal truck is the base model and my assigned truck was much better appointed.

The interiors seemed to dip there in quality for a while, we had a 2015 Tahoe as a rental a few months back and I was VERY impressed. Short term mind you, but looked like it would hold up.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
my 05 has a terrible noise under the dash on the drivers side. Cannot find what it is. have to live with it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
my 05 has a terrible noise under the dash on the drivers side. Cannot find what it is. have to live with it.

If it's a clunk that sounds like something is busted, whenever you hit a pothole, speedbump or flop your steering wheel around, it's the intermediate steering shaft needing lube. It's a 15min near-free fix, many videos on YouTube about it, affects all the full size GM trucks / SUVs

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
If it's a clunk that sounds like something is busted, whenever you hit a pothole, speedbump or flop your steering wheel around, it's the intermediate steering shaft needing lube. It's a 15min near-free fix, many videos on YouTube about it, affects all the full size GM trucks / SUVs

I'd never want to fix my clunk, it's how I know I'm in a Chevy.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles