Entry Level SLR Camera

Super Doody

Explorer
Hi,

I'm looking for a solid entry level SLR camera. I'm no pro but I do enjoy taking a lot outdoor pics.

Seems like the cannon rebel xt and the nikon D40 are popular choices.

Any other recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Jim

Super Doody said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a solid entry level SLR camera. I'm no pro but I do enjoy taking a lot outdoor pics.

Seems like the cannon rebel xt and the nikon D40 are popular choices.

Any other recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Jim

I'll be watching this thread closely. I'm in the same boat as you, my friend.

tibaal89

Adventurer
Exact same boat here as People Eater.... planning to purchase in the next couple weeks. :safari-rig:

travel dodge

Adventurer
I as well am in the boat with the rest of you.. My local camera guy has a Pentax K10D (last years) on hold for me and I think it will be great, "weather/dust proof" body and under $1000. Also lens will be somewhat cheeper as the anti shake is all in the body

arcteryx

Adventurer
Looks like some folks received their stimulus check :sombrero:

Peruse this site link

Ken is biased toward Nikon, but very good reviews, IMO. I have a D70 that I have owned for several years and like it a lot. My wife has pretty much taken over it, so when I do get around to getting one, the D40 is what I will be getting. Remember, it's all about the lenses ;)

I have no experience with Canon. We had Nikkor lenses pre-digital SLR days, so we were drawn down that path.

HTH.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
arcteryx said:
Remember, it's all about the lenses ;)

Right you are! I strongly suggest buying a used good camera, rather than an "entry level" camera, particularly for the durable construction and dustproofing. I reccommend the Canon 20D, which are plentiful and relatively inexpensive, and I think the Nikon equivelent is the D80?

The lens is where you will want to spend your money, and they are a LOT of money for a good one. But once you have one, you will understand why, and will never want to go back!

I posted more about this topic recently here, as did many others in the entire thread.

Spenser

Adventurer
Same boat until Memorial Day Weekend. Went out shopping for a real DSLR to "replace" the Canon G9 that I am still learning to use. Went for the hard core, entry level stripped down DSLR, thinking that I was going to buy the new Canon Rebel or used more pro level Canon or Nikon. I ended up leaving the store with the new Nikon D60 kit, including the 55-200 zoom lens. I figured that this is my first DSLR, it is pretty stripped down and light, and the price difference versus the D40 kit made the 60 the better buy. I AM NOT professional, am clueless about DSLR, will upgrade at some point but took it out and shot all around New Hampshire this weekend, without first reading the manual, and turned out some great shots. I went back and forth regarding the Pentax, due primarily to the heavy duty body but Nikon has the cleaning system, is beefy and had a good warranty (5 years). Just my 2 cents, enjoy the shopping trip!

H2O_Doc

Adventurer
A note on camera selection. Think MORE about lens quality/availability and the availability of other things (flashes etc.). Thie nice thing about Canon and Nikon is their accessories are great and third party accessories can are also often as good.

You will likely change camera bodies after a few years, but your glass and other goodies should be usable for decades. I'm a Canon guy; used to shoot Nikon. Just as an FYI, I frequently buy refurbished (as long as the manufacturer warranty.

A little research now will save a lot later.

www.wagnerphotographic.com

Super Doody

Explorer
Spenser said:
Same boat until Memorial Day Weekend. Went out shopping for a real DSLR to "replace" the Canon G9 that I am still learning to use. Went for the hard core, entry level stripped down DSLR, thinking that I was going to buy the new Canon Rebel or used more pro level Canon or Nikon. I ended up leaving the store with the new Nikon D60 kit, including the 55-200 zoom lens. I figured that this is my first DSLR, it is pretty stripped down and light, and the price difference versus the D40 kit made the 60 the better buy. I AM NOT professional, am clueless about DSLR, will upgrade at some point but took it out and shot all around New Hampshire this weekend, without first reading the manual, and turned out some great shots. I went back and forth regarding the Pentax, due primarily to the heavy duty body but Nikon has the cleaning system, is beefy and had a good warranty (5 years). Just my 2 cents, enjoy the shopping trip!

If you dont mind me asking, how much was your d60?

Michael Slade

Untitled
Let's clarify:

SLR: Single Lens Reflex camera, film-based

DSLR: Single Lens Reflex camera, digital sensor based

Before I offer my take I just wanted to get the OP's original intent. It seems all of the follow-up posts are dealing with digital, and I'm re-reading the thread title looking for some carification.

:coffeedrink:

Super Doody

Explorer
Michael Slade said:
Let's clarify:

SLR: Single Lens Reflex camera, film-based

DSLR: Single Lens Reflex camera, digital sensor based

Before I offer my take I just wanted to get the OP's original intent. It seems all of the follow-up posts are dealing with digital, and I'm re-reading the thread title looking for some carification.

:coffeedrink:

If I could edit the tittle I would. I'm interested in DSLR. What's film :confused: :)

Spenser

Adventurer
Jim-bought the camera with 18-55 zoom plus the 55-200 zoom at Best Buy for $900 out the door. Shot it all weekend in the White Mountains and loved it. I must say, I am not sure why I bought the D60 over the D40x, other than it "felt" better in hand than the D40. I read the Ken Rockwell review and the DPReview after I bought it, and might have rethought the purchase somewhat but it worked for me, the price was fair, and I used Best Buy's money for 18 months free instead of spending my own.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Super Doody said:
If I could edit the tittle I would. I'm interested in DSLR. What's film :confused: :)

New: Nikon D40x
Used: Canon 30D

Get good glass. Start with one...a GOOD one. How do you know if it's a good one? It's so expensive you have to cringe a little to buy it. That's a basic rule of thumb.

What's film? Go HERE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles