AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
That is not a common enough a request fit it to be economically viable for is to develop. This does not prevent you from developing your own or have someone make it for you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtmiketacoma

Gas Mileage

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a habitat in the near future and had a couple of questions about gas mileage. When you have the habitat on have you noticed a discernible difference with wind resistance and drop in mileage?

elcoyote

My wife and I are looking at purchasing a habitat in the near future and had a couple of questions about gas mileage. When you have the habitat on have you noticed a discernible difference with wind resistance and drop in mileage?
No

joel

Observer
I drove about 2,500 miles back to the east coast after I got my Habitat. Was surprised to not see much if any MPG difference. (I kept receipts but normally saw a 1MPG variance per tank with or without the Habitat.) Trucks are sort of aero slabs in the first place, and the Habitat is pretty low profile for what it is. I'm sure there's a minor hit to MPG—it's more weight and aero loss—but it's not something you really need to worry about.

mtmiketacoma

I drove about 2,500 miles back to the east coast after I got my Habitat. Was surprised to not see much if any MPG difference. (I kept receipts but normally saw a 1MPG variance per tank with or without the Habitat.) Trucks are sort of aero slabs in the first place, and the Habitat is pretty low profile for what it is. I'm sure there's a minor hit to MPG—it's more weight and aero loss—but it's not something you really need to worry about.

Thanks that helps alot.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Are these available for DCSB 2nd gens yet? I'm really liking the compact, lightweight approach and how much room it has once opened up.

ebbs

Observer
The overhang is 23" from the bed rail of the truck. You would not have enough room under the over hang for a roof rack. We are working with Paul May at Equipt for a K9 rack to fit in the remaining roof space that will be approximately 40" L x 50" W. Here is a picture looking down on top of an access cab. The remaining real estate would be no different on a DCSB
View attachment 335997

any pictures of what the windows would look like? is that's what is in the above pic, or is that just missing the sides?

I'm very interested, about 99% sold on one, just gotta wait until next year when I upgrade my 1st gen to a 2nd gen. I'm trying to decide between a trail limo (double cab long bed) and a short bed(still double cab). anything from the Habitat that I should be aware of as far as differences between the two? I know you can only get the "windors" on the 6' bed... what do those look like? do you guys sell parts? for example if the struts go out? last question is I noticed the hatch locks/handles in the pics differ from the videos... which is what I can expect on the production model?

elcoyote

The above picture has no sides installed yet. We do not have pictures of windows as no one has ordered windows yet. Windows are available on the 6' bed only. All the parts are readily accessible if you needed them. The videos show the production latches, some of the pictures posted here such as the one you did are of the prototype. Hope that answers your questions.

ebbs

Observer
Awesome thanks for the quick reply, yes it did! I'm sure I'll have more... I really just need to make a trip down to you guys... but honestly... probably won't happen until I've got an e-mail from you saying mine is ready for pickup lol.

Older AT Flippac

What about adapting the Habitat lift struts and opening pole for use with the heaver duty AT flippacs? Should be doable and no torsion bar drama. I can remove the lid portion and weight it for the force calculation.

What is the distance from the hinge to the upper strut mounting pivot?

What is the distance from the lower strut mount pivot to the upper strut mounting pivot when the lid is at 90 degrees?

elcoyote

The Flippac torsion bar delete concept is an entirely different set of issues to hack beyond mere pivot point locations. It is complicated by materials and construction methodology. At this time it is not on our product development agenda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior