Proper sized camper for Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

STANG302

Observer
So over the last few years I've been trying to add a bit more camping into my UTV/V-Strom adventures. So far I've relied on truck tents. I know these are not very popular but they have served me well. The amount I've been able to get out I feel I can finally justify stepping up to a slid in camper.

I've been keeping an eye open for a good used camper locally over the last two years. Everything that I looked at was either peer junk or sold before I could even look at it. I'm getting tired of playing this game.

So I'm considering going new and need some advice fitting one to my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel.

Requirements/issues
As I will be towing one or both of my toys. Need a camper that will fit with the tailgate up or tailgate off. While still allowing adequate clearace to trailer. Truck has 6' 4" bed.

Weight. Ratings on my Eco is pretty poor vs a Hemi with the added engine weight. I will be running it across a CAT scale in the next few day's to get specific numbers.

Budget: 10-15K max.

Current options I've been looking at: Travel Lite 625 & RAYZR FK (625 minus cab over), Palomino SS-550.

I am open to either pop up or hard side.

Pro's and cons?
Are there any other options I should be looking at?

STANG302

Observer
Took the long way home after work and got the truck weighed. I knew it was heavy but dang 5900 lbs. That's without me in the truck and a full tank of fuel. So with me and the dog I'm left with roughly 800lbs. How is that even possible?

Tire swap is in my near future. As stock tires are wearing off pretty fast. Along with a set of air bags awaiting installation.

I did not know about the Northstar Vista. Does not look as refined as the Travel Lite but seems to have more storage.

I'd post the slip from CAT but it's giving me fits.

GW: 5900 lb
FA: 3360 lb
RA: 2540 lb

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I have one of these too..

goto facebook ecodiesel performance and look at my post about the 2 diffrent enclosed trailers..your gonna want air bags..($90 airlift 1000 from amazon..easy install)

my flipback weighs about 3-400lbs...and I have a 300# toolbox too..daily..and have loaded 4-600lbs of materials in the back...

900lb-1200lb no problem..airbags I would say 1500-1800..with load rated e tires..I still have factory C..

ALSO...I just got a 14ft enclosed trailer...that Im gonna partially outfit to bunk the kids in...hammocks..lights..porta-potty..vent fan..windows...and still be able to use for work..so there is that option if your trailers enclosed...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
There's only one easy answer with the payload you have left. Get a bigger truck. Or, get used to being at least 10-15% over your max GVW. The only truck Ram actually "allows" (warranty void? what else could they do?) is the 3500 or bigger. Even 2500s come with a "not for use with slide-in campers" sticker.

STANG302

Observer
Currently debating saying screw it and get a slide in camper and a 14' trailer and ignoring weight ratings.

Or setting up my truck with current tent and build a bunk with storage like others have done with truck toppers. That will stay in the truck under my toneau cover while not in use. Then get the 20' trailer to tow anything I want.

87fe356d-cf15-47fc-8769-8d9686ce62bd.jpg

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I was going to use my old 1/2 until I found out my payload was 1,300 lbs after putting it on a scale. My suggestion would be to get another truck especially if you want to tow while carrying in a camper. Others will tell you to mode this and mode that but the right way is to get a truck built to do both.

STANG302

Observer
Any one have experience with Bundutecusa?

Just seen one of there truck campers pop up for sale. Never heard of them.

Desertraven

Yes, the short answer is if you want to go with a camper, get a different truck. I bought my 2015 Ram 1500 4 by 4 Ecodiesel longbed regular cab last May, and it only has a payload of 1190 pounds. That's straight out of the factory literature I got with it. I do have airbags, but all you can get is the lightweight hair Airlift 1000s--that means a thousand pounds, and that's just for levening your pick up really-- when towing or hauling something it doesn't really increase your pay load. Course you could get a very light non self contained camper 8 foot in the 800 to 1200 pound range, but would probably have to be an older one.

Desertraven

The trade off for the nice cushy ride in the RAM 1500, is with the coil springs, and the 4 ply passenger tires almost all of them come with, you have no payload left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94