Toyo Open Country CT ???

deadbeat son

Explorer
While researching tires, I came across the Toyo Open Country CT. This tire appears to be primarily available in Canada, although it seems 1010 Tires will deliver to US addresses. The tire looks like a good traditional styled all-weather traction radial, something that seems to have disappeared from the US market in favor of tires with more aggressive styling. (I'm thinking of the dearly missed Dunlop Rover RT, etc.) It's primary drawback (other than availability) is that it's only offered in limited sizing, primarily 17" and larger.

Are any of the Canadian forum members running this tire? If so, how are they performing for you? I searched this forum and couldn't find any information on them.

http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/open-country-ct

Tire_Reflections_OPCT-dual.png

Thanks!

tacollie

Glamper
I know it's an old thread but here I am. I put the CTs on my Tacoma in August. The first 4000 miles were great but then the snow fell. These tires are flat out horrible on snow and ice. I have been through 3 different show storms in the last week and all of them have shown the nature of these tires in the snow. These tires have horrible snow performance. I would equate them to the BFG KM(not km2). I even dropped them down to 34 psi. The chalk test looked good at 38psi. I have literally slide down the crown if the road. For the first time in my life the wind blew me off the road. I was following a buddy with a similar Tacoma with KO2 and he didn't even notice the road was slick.

This leaves me with two questions. The first is what does the servere weather snow flake symbol on them actually mean? The second is do I sipe these and tough it out or do I cut my losses and get some KO2s, Duratracs, or st Maxxs?

deadbeat son

Explorer
I know it's an old thread but here I am. I put the CTs on my Tacoma in August. The first 4000 miles were great but then the snow fell. These tires are flat out horrible on snow and ice. I have been through 3 different show storms in the last week and all of them have shown the nature of these tires in the snow. These tires have horrible snow performance. I would equate them to the BFG KM(not km2). I even dropped them down to 34 psi. The chalk test looked good at 38psi. I have literally slide down the crown if the road. For the first time in my life the wind blew me off the road. I was following a buddy with a similar Tacoma with KO2 and he didn't even notice the road was slick.

This leaves me with two questions. The first is what does the servere weather snow flake symbol on them actually mean? The second is do I sipe these and tough it out or do I cut my losses and get some KO2s, Duratracs, or st Maxxs?

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for posting the feedback. I guess this is another example of the old adage, "you can't judge a book by its cover." The CTs definitely look the part for a tire that can handle some Colorado weather.

tacollie

Glamper
I actually wanted the M-55 but they were stupid expensive. My tire guy recommended the CTs. Don't get me wrong I like the tires but the servere weather rating is not representative of their snow performance. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do. I started my own business this year so money is a little tight otherwise I would probably replace them. It sucks going into winter with a tire that leaves you doubting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online