Ford OBS 7.3 manual trans or 1998-2003 manual trans 4x4 for overlanding? F250 or F350

stevo-mt

Your right there aren't to many differences so buy what you want. One great example I can think of with regards to hauling weight on the back of a truck and off roading. Lots of ranchers put these round bale feeders on their trucks to feed their cows out across their properties. They have these hydraulic armsthat will pick up the 2000 lb round bales and put them on their flat beds. Realistically you should only carry one bale at a time. Of course you can get done feeding twice as fast if you keep a bale on the hydraulic arms. Hauling that second bale has cracked/broke more f250 or other equivalent frames than you can shake a stick at. They brake one ton frames too, but not nearly as often. They are allegedly the same but there in my real world experience f350 hold up much better with weights like a camper in back. Many of the ranchers have went to one tons, but it would be safe to say the newer trucks have less of these problems. A camper isn't to far off the weight of some round bales. Just my opinion :).

As far as gvw goes you have to pay to play. I know several people who own 3/4 trucks and they are great. In the end if it's a diesel with a camper in back a persons driving habits will change accordingly, so it probably doesn't matter one bit. :)

With respect to turning radius and length I love my m1010 gmc in the woods. Single cab and it will turn around on some pretty narrow roads. A single cab long box isn't a bad way to go sometimes. But if you need the truck to haul people you are somewhat stuck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Korben

Adventurer
Hauling that second bale has cracked/broke more f250 or other equivalent frames than you can shake a stick at. They brake one ton frames too, but not nearly as often.
Where are they braking?
They are the same frame, but I could see the differences in suspension making the difference. We know about the front, and that the rear has a taller block but the F350 and some F250s use a different rear overload spring setup. One that has 4 points of contact with the frame vs. two.
FWIW there's only one State I'm aware of where a pickups GVWR has any legal bearing. Pennsylvania, there they won't let you register a vehicle over it's GVWR. Everywhere else as far as pickups are concerned you only need be concerned with registered weight and tire ratings.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
(with regards to OBS)

Yep, the frames are the same.

As is MOST everything.

Only real difference out of the box is front axle, real overloads, optional rear duals, and cab configuration.

Generally, 3/4 ton you cannot get a crew cab
Generally 1 ton you cannot get an extended cab

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ding Ding:ylsmoke:

Easy to swap the d60 to the f250 however for a great truck

They are the most expensive obs ford in my searches

OBS F250 Extended cab with a D60 (kingpin) swap, 1-ton suspension, and 3:55's

chassis310a.jpg

stevo-mt

It was behind the cabs mounting points, almost in the middle. The steel flatbed usually reinforce the frame up to that point so it makes sense why they would have issues there. The extra weight is on a lever arm it is more than what your truck would be designed for and see even hauling a camper. But when you are playing around on the woods it can be a bit rough on a frame.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It was behind the cabs mounting points, almost in the middle. The steel flatbed usually reinforce the frame up to that point so it makes sense why they would have issues there. The extra weight is on a lever arm it is more than what your truck would be designed for and see even hauling a camper. But when you are playing around on the woods it can be a bit rough on a frame.

If they had flatbeds, then all bets are off.

Most all flatbed installs are done incorrectly with little respect given to the point loading of the chassis.

Your failures more than likely were due to incorrect installation of flatbeds, not due to the chassis itself being a weak point.

Seabass

Idiot
Ford OBS 7.3 manual trans or 1998-2003 manual trans 4x4 for overlanding? F250...

I can chime in on the frames....lots of farmers in my neck of the woods use "bale beds" as we call them. What these guys are likely doing that's breaking the frames is setting one bale up on the bed- which is fine- and then packing the second bale by the arms. The second bale is usually high up, and secondly BEHIND the bed. This puts literally tons of weight behind the axel and literally tries to make the truck pop a wheelie. I've seen people do it a lot. I've never heard of a frame breaking, but it looks like it would be really hard on everything under the back half of the truck. Some bales can weigh a ton or more depending on size and moisture. I farm for a living and have more than a little experience. I refuse to put on of those beds on any of my trucks. Tractors do a mighty fine job feeding roll bales.
67ed347aa7f354c8a495fc3b65804cb9.jpg
147c3d11157e36ebc605890bfcd3d1f7.jpg
You can see why these guys are having problems. As for trucks.....I really love obs fords. I sold my newer trucks and bought two obs f-350 Crew cab long beds- was able to pay cash. No payments now. One is a 460 gas, the other a 7.3. Both are 97's with 4.10 gears and 5 spds. The PSD averages 17mpg. The 460....ha. You don't want to know. It's REALLY thirsty. These trucks were very durable, cheap to repair, and easy to work on. Yes they are long. No it's not really a big deal. And they are VERY capable off road with little modification. Good thread, good luck.
2f2c6d5faa33bb348081cc37169508f3.jpg
The gasser/work truck with 300,000 miles.
3f3a94901d9a479a517bc7a7b5ac072e.jpg
The 7.3 "good truck" only got 140k on it..I try to keep it nice.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, the OBS fords are tough as nails.

I hope to never find myself in a position to find another truck.

The OBS' are starting to get pretty tough to find in decent shape, for legitimate cost.

I picked up my '96 Powerstroke for $3k years ago, and looking at the local market, I could sell it tomorrow for near $10k :Wow1:

More to the case of the supposed failure...

I've highlighted the proof that's in the pudding.

The steel flatbed usually reinforce the frame up to that point so it makes sense why they would have issues there.

Any reinforcement of the chassis will most certainly result in chassis failure given enough time and weight.

The frames are designed to flex. Not allowing them to, especially only certain portion, will result in failure.

This is the exact reason why I run a 3-point pivot mount for my flatbed. Flatbed remains flat, while allowing the chassis to flex.

The steel flatbed usually reinforce the frame up to that point so it makes sense why they would have issues there.

Seabass

Idiot
Yep, the OBS fords are tough as nails.

I hope to never find myself in a position to find another truck.

The OBS' are starting to get pretty tough to find in decent shape, for legitimate cost.

I picked up my '96 Powerstroke for $3k years ago, and looking at the local market, I could sell it tomorrow for near $10k :Wow1:

More to the case of the supposed failure...

I've highlighted the proof that's in the pudding.

Any reinforcement of the chassis will most certainly result in chassis failure given enough time and weight.

The frames are designed to flex. Not allowing them to, especially only certain portion, will result in failure.

This is the exact reason why I run a 3-point pivot mount for my flatbed. Flatbed remains flat, while allowing the chassis to flex.

I've noticed that my flat twists with the chassis. I'm very pleased by this. I got it in a good twist the other day and the bed was just a flexed as the frame. But, my bed isn't very rigid. I bought that particular bed in hopes that it would twist when it needed to. Since I'm not carrying a camper like you do- it's not hurting anything, and saved me the hassle of building a three point like yours- which is very impressive by the way.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
A little flex goes a LONG way with these frames.

I'm sure your fine if you have a fairly forgiving flatbed.

Funny, the 3-point I built was intended to save the camper from being twisted into pieces by the frame flex.

But it works the other way as well. Saves the frame from the camper :sombrero:

Although, my flatbed was/is pretty forgiving as well.

Here is my flatbed, before (rigidly mounted) and after (3-point)

8 inches under the LR and 8 inches under the RF

02.jpg

45.jpg

WILLD420

Observer
I've owned both trucks, OBS and now a Super Duty. The Super Duty is twice the truck of the OBS vintage. The frames are stronger, the engines run harder and everything is industrial grade compared to the OBS stuff.

I love an IDI diesel and when you think about the money you can spend getting a Powerstroke up to date on it's R&R stuff you can buy a whole IDI truck for what you can spend on parts for a Powerstroke. On the other hand, I've run my 7.3 from Nevada to Kansas at 85-90 mph the whole way and the only thing I had to do was watch the fuel gauge and top off the oil. Not bad for a truck with 258K miles. My IDI would use a quart of oil every 200 miles on a good day and couldn't make it over 85 without overheating because the air gets caught under the hood and won't flow air to cool the thing.

The granny 6 speed is a great transmission but a slushbox isn't the end of the world if you have to get one. As for fuel economy, I get 15-17 mpg daily driving, short trips and long hauls. If you run it at 55-60 mph it will get 18. If you run it up to 80-85 I get 14-15. Not bad for an 8K lb truck on 255/85/16 Toyo M-55's.

I would second the V-10 recommendation. If you aren't towing heavy, the 7.3 will never pay for itself. I have a giant 5th wheel so I had to get one, otherwise I would have gone V-10. The MPG penalty can more than be made up in the price of the truck and the range can be extended by buying one of the 50 gallon replacement tanks. That would give you pretty close to a 500 mile range with a V-10 and you can buy gasoline just about anywhere. Diesel is still hard to come by in a lot of places and you pay a premium for the fuel on long trips if you aren't willing to drive several blocks away from the freeway.

Diesel requires expensive filters, 10 quarts of oil, a $15 filter and has $1300 worth of injectors that will die every 150-200K miles. The V-10 only requires that you be careful with the spark plugs and buy another quart or so over the V8 version.

Off-road, I'd take the V-10 if you like to hear things and don't want to smell diesel exhaust all day long. It is also a little lighter if memory serves and will not be as hard on parts if you bounce down dirt roads a lot.

jonb96150

Observer
This is some great info, thanks guys.

My last two attempts to reply to this thread (after spending some time composing them) disappeared when I had to log back in after being timed out. But I've been reading this every day and appreciate the knowledge. I'm not such a slow typist as I am a slow thinkist.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The Super Duty is twice the truck of the OBS vintage. The frames are stronger, the engines run harder and everything is industrial grade compared to the OBS stuff.

Frames are a bit stronger, yes.

Engines (7.3 PSD) has a bit more power due to larger injectors and a few other motor changes, all easily changed/upgraded on the OBS.

But the last comment is, well, as general as they come.

Please enlighten us with regards to your everything is industrial grade compared to the OBS comment.

Im dying to here the specifics.

Thanks

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Super straight and rust free seems to drive the prices these days.

That one is certainly both.

Also a dealer, so add even more to the price.

It looks to be a nice truck. And an odd ball "HD" F250 crew cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior