Wanting some help on vehicle choice...

SpeedAddict502

Observer
Hey guys, I am wanting some vehicle choice help from the Expo collective.

I have had a lot of off road vehicles over the years including 80 series, Unimogs, Domestic 4x4 trucks, Montero's, and we currently have an LR4.

The LR4 is really really nice, a great vehicle really, but the lack of a diesel sucks, and the amount of things that can go wrong with it scare me.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Seats 6 adults pretty well
Diesel
Tow at least 5k easily
Dont mind importing form overseas, have done it before but would have to be over 25 years old.

I dont really know is there is anything out there like this! I would go a diesel E350 van route, but the wife will not go for a van at all. Ive thought about diesel 70 series troopy cruiser with a third row instead of the rear bench seats, I've seen a few of those. Ive thought about diesel swapped 2500 Suburbans. I dont think even a Defender 130 was ever built as an SUV, just the HCPU. How's a nissan Patrol third row, if they have them? Probably like the Montero which is much too small.

Discuss with me!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Why imported? Domestics have all that you want and more. Also, why is your wife against vans? I've seen some pretty bad *** ones out there if she doesn't want the "soccer mom" look.

SpeedAddict502

Observer
Thanks for the replies guys!

I definitely thought about the Excursion, but man it is big. It is quite a bit bigger than the older Suburbans and off road I really feel it would limit me. Thoughts?

And I totally agree on the van. I showed her some awesome vans and she wasn't having it. I'm sure I'll get her into a Sportsmobile one day.

Also I wasn't at all saying I want to import. Just that if the best option was overseas it doesn't bother me.

Keep em coming!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I'd say your biggest limiter is your seating for 6 requirement. If not for that, you would have plenty of options, including crew cab trucks. Otherwise, you're pretty limited to Excursions and Suburbans. Most other capable SUVs can really only handle 4 or 5 full sized adults if they don't mind rubbing shoulders.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
What kind of off roading are we talking about? If it is just fire break roads and the occasional trail, then the Excursion is great. Plenty of guys wheel full size rigs with very few problems. It is either a smaller rig with everyone crammed so you can wheel tighter trails or a larger more comfortable rig that might not fit on the skinny trails.

SpeedAddict502

Observer
I'd say your biggest limiter is your seating for 6 requirement. If not for that, you would have plenty of options, including crew cab trucks. Otherwise, you're pretty limited to Excursions and Suburbans. Most other capable SUVs can really only handle 4 or 5 full sized adults if they don't mind rubbing shoulders.

Yah I know, that is definitely the hardest one. That is one reason why the LR3/LR4'r are so nice, because they are still pretty compact, but can fit 6 full size adults really well. The third row seats are really amazing.

What kind of off roading are we talking about? If it is just fire break roads and the occasional trail, then the Excursion is great. Plenty of guys wheel full size rigs with very few problems. It is either a smaller rig with everyone crammed so you can wheel tighter trails or a larger more comfortable rig that might not fit on the skinny trails.

Yah definitely more than just fire roads or dirt trails. And I have wheeled full size rigs before, but the turning radius on the Excursion is even worse than its length. Just makes it really hard to do much of any kind of trails above a fire road.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any idea for a vehicle like the LR3/LR4 that I havent thought of. I have seen some really nice setup 70 series troop carriers overseas that have lots of room for 7 when setup like a normal SUV with three forward facing rows, mainly because of the high roof of the troopy like the Discovery's. Something like a 100 series or 200 series are close, but the third rows are still pretty bad.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Just run the LR.

If something breaks, fix it. Big deal. These trucks don't have the POS reputation of the previous generations.

Honestly, I don't see the point of changing platforms.

If fuel is a big deal... really, you are driving a LR4 and can't spring for a few hundred bucks extra per trip for fuel? Sounds more like rationalization just to change platforms (i.e. an excuse). It's not even like fuel costs anything right now.

Get a nice trailer and carry on.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
6.7L, Crewcab, long bed, Ford Superduty. Seats 6 if ya'll aren't all fat bodies. But I think that some of your adult friends need to get their own darn truck. Be realistic about that spec. I'll car pool with friends to cut down on vehicles on long trips, but sometimes it best to have at least two vehicles for 6+ people.

Fuel cost is a dumb reason to go diesel in a fullsize truck. That's an excuse, not a reason. The 6.7L engine was meant to tow, not get good economy. It only outperforms the gassers when it is towing. Otherwise the gas engine is the better deal. None of our diesel fleet trucks cost less to operate. But they are all heavier as well. Dually 4x4 at 13,000 pounds+ is when the diesel makes sense. Not a single wheel truck under 9,000 pounds. Hauling around tents and dirtbikes is best suited to a gas truck.

Does an Lr4 really count as "seats 6"?
L319_15_INT_STU02_04_dfc_fs_293-90669_1216x684.jpg

I only see 4 seats and a cargo area?

We seat 3 in the front of a Ford CC and 3 in the rear with no problems. Just make sure the pretty girls are in the middle. It's not like you'll be traveling far all packed into one vehicle anyways. It's way more comfortable than 6 in a LR4, and there's 8' of bed for all of your gear.

I also won't tow 5,000 pounds in a little SUV. And I'll barely tow 5,000 pounds in a 1/2ton fullsize truck. Those combinations leave very little room for emergency maneuvers or bad weather. I go straight to the big trucks for that.

Last edited:

SpeedAddict502

Observer
Just run the LR.

If something breaks, fix it. Big deal. These trucks don't have the POS reputation of the previous generations.

Honestly, I don't see the point of changing platforms.

If fuel is a big deal... really, you are driving a LR4 and can't spring for a few hundred bucks extra per trip for fuel? Sounds more like rationalization just to change platforms (i.e. an excuse). It's not even like fuel costs anything right now.

Get a nice trailer and carry on.

I agree their quality has improved a lot, but when they do break, they break hard. I recently had an issue with the air suspension computer going haywire and luckily I was just around town as normal, but if that would have happened on the last trip pulling a trailer in the middle of nowhere, it would have been bad. Not something I could have fixed myself at all. Just got me thinking is all.

I agree on the fuel costs, I dont mind paying for it right now one bit. The range sucks but I can always add tanks. The main reason for putting down that it has to have a diesel is that if I am going to switch, it better have everything I want. And like you said if I cant find anything, I will stick with the LR4.

6.7L, Crewcab, long bed, Ford Superduty. Seats 6 if ya'll aren't all fat bodies. But I think that some of your adult friends need to get their own darn truck. Be realistic about that spec. I'll car pool with friends to cut down on vehicles on long trips, but sometimes it best to have at least two vehicles for 6+ people.

Fuel cost is a dumb reason to go diesel in a fullsize truck. That's an excuse, not a reason. The 6.7L engine was meant to tow, not get good economy. It only outperforms the gassers when it is towing. Otherwise the gas engine is the better deal. None of our diesel fleet trucks cost less to operate. But they are all heavier as well. Dually 4x4 at 13,000 pounds+ is when the diesel makes sense. Not a single wheel truck under 9,000 pounds. Hauling around tents and dirtbikes is best suited to a gas truck.

Does an Lr4 really count as "seats 6"?
L319_15_INT_STU02_04_dfc_fs_293-90669_1216x684.jpg

I only see 4 seats and a cargo area?

We seat 3 in the front of a Ford CC and 3 in the rear with no problems. Just make sure the pretty girls are in the middle. It's not like you'll be traveling far all packed into one vehicle anyways. It's way more comfortable than 6 in a LR4, and there's 8' of bed for all of your gear.

I also won't tow 5,000 pounds in a little SUV. And I'll barely tow 5,000 pounds in a 1/2ton fullsize truck. Those combinations leave very little room for emergency maneuvers or bad weather. I go straight to the big trucks for that.

You might be right about my friends needing to get their own cars haha. But in all reality it is pretty fun cruising along with 6 friends all in the same vehicle. Honestly the LR4 fit all 6 of us full size adults no problem on our last 3k mile trip. The third row is actually extremely comfortable and roomy, even though it might not look like it in the picture.

Interesting about seating 3 in the front of a fullsize truck, I hadnt thought of that actually. I'll have to look into that.

Ram 1500 EcoDiesel with split bench front seat.

I didnt know they sell the higher end diesel ones like that, Ill have to look into it.

Thanks all!

drewactual

Adventurer
If you're serious about importing and the 25 year requirement, danged if I wouldn't add a Nissan Patrol to that list. They're just flat tough vehicles from that era. I've no clue why this site pretty much ignores their existence. Turbo Diesel equipped ain't a problem.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Not enough size difference to matter, they're of the same 'class'

2003 Excursion

Wheelbase 137.1
Track f/r 68.4/68.1
Overall Length 226.7
Overall Width 79.9

2003 Suburban

WHEEL BASE 130 in.
Track f/r 65/66
Length 219.3
width 78.8

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The only options I can think of is the excursion or a dual bench seat super duty truck. That would tick off your requirement for diesel and 6 seats. Other than that scratch diesel off your list and then you can get suburban, and expedition into the mix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior