Bear, My 200 Series Newbie Build

aausmana

Adventurer
Coming Together

Test fit...looking good.

thumb_IMG_4901_1024.jpg

After I mounted the slides to the carcass of the drawer system I started building the drawers themselves. Glued/Screwed and Countersunk the screws in the front.

thumb_IMG_4894_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4904_1024.jpg

aausmana

Adventurer
From there I cut the top to measurement, countersunk, and testfit with only a few screws. You can see I also used cardboard to make some templates for the driver side and passenger 'faceplates'. I also mounted the 36" Accuride slides inside the driver side drawer. I will be building a drawer within a drawer for a few reasons.

1) The left side will primarily be kitchen and housekeeping items. I will use the upper drawer as a home for my Partner Steel 22" stove, hoses, silverware and some utensils. The bottom drawer will act as spice storage, an extra 1lb propane or two and odds and ends.

2) I plan to place 1/4" Richlite cutting boards running the length of both the upper and lower drawers - to place the Partner Stove on the lower for cooking and use the upper for prep, etc. Any advise on the cutting boards you use/have used that have worked out well?

thumb_IMG_4931_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4937_1024.jpg

Then drew them onto 3/4" Birch and cut them out.

thumb_IMG_4932_1024.jpg

aausmana

Adventurer
I then built and mount the 3rd inside driver side drawer. Though I do not have all the right tools (did not want to spend $300-400 on a table saw, etc.), and some of the lines are by no means straight or pretty, I think it's turning out pretty well - happy with it.

thumb_IMG_4936_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4935_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4934_1024.jpg

Next up, drawer faces and wings...

aausmana

Adventurer
So I worked pretty well into the night and was able to complete the drawer fronts and fitment of them in the carcass and the truck. Have to admit I am a perfectionist and not too happy with the unevenness but that will be slightly taken care of later and evened out as best possible. I see a table saw purchase coming in the next couple of years. Would have been A LOT easier and cleaner rips if I had bit the bullet...oh well.

Test Fit:
thumb_IMG_4944_1024.jpg

Templates for wings:
thumb_IMG_4946_1024.jpg

Fitment, fitment, fitment:
thumb_IMG_4947_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4955_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4948_1024.jpg

aausmana

Adventurer
Build Plan

So I thought I would provide everyone with a list of current/upcoming projects for Bear. I am sure more will be added and some may change but this is the current build plan:

• OME Suspension with Spidertax spacers (Purchased & Installed)
  • Custom Built Drawer System (Built & Installed) - More coming very soon in this thread on the completion of the drawers
  • Clearview Accessories Easy Slide Drop-down Fridge Slide from Australia to fit a National Luna 90L fridge (Purchased and awainting install) - Let me know if anyone is interested in these, they have various sizes.
  • IBS Dual Battery System (Purchased)
  • Slee Battery Trays for the 200 Series - Primary Group 31 & Secondary Group 35 (Purchased)
  • Odyssey Group 31 Main & Group 35 Aux
  • BlueSea Saftey 150 Hub for rear electrical distribution (Purchased)
  • Wiring, Switches, Plugs for rear electrical (Purchased)
  • National Luna 90L Fridge
  • K9 Roof Rack
  • sPOD LED setup for all lighting and communications (Purchased and awaiting install at CBI Offroad)
  • Various Rigid Dually D2's and E2 Lightbar (purchased D2's and waiting on E2 30" lightbar)
  • 305/65R18 BFG KO2's (Purchased & Installed)
  • CBI Offroad Front Bumper (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • Warn M12K Winch with Synthetic Rope (Purchased - CBI to install)
  • CBI Offroad Rear Bumper and swingouts (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • CBI Offroad full skidplates (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • CBI Offroad sidesteps/rock sliders (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • CBI Offroad Auxillary Fuel Tank - Feeder setup (CBI will start in a few days!)
  • Rooftop Tent - Tepui Gran Sabana Ruggedized (Secured and awaiting arrival)
  • Alu-Box 81L
  • Frontrunner 67L or 60L water tank with custom pump and fittings for install in front of future clamshell storage center floor of truck
  • Awning - potentially an Ostrich Wing from South Africa - more information here
  • Communications 2M
  • Custom Built Barrier for rear cargo

I am sure I am missing a few things but that's all for now.

Last edited:

aausmana

Adventurer
I ended giving David a call at Trekboxx, link to his site in a previous post, for some guidance and questions. David helped solve a debate I was having with myself regarding the Chassis Saver and Monstaliner.

I used Bondo to fill all the holes and some gaps from my not so straight cuts. then sanded and we were ready for applying the Chassis Saver.

thumb_IMG_5021_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5022_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5027_1024.jpg

aausmana

Adventurer
Then came the fun part...painting on the Chassis Saver. This stuff is strong - I was painting it on just outside my garage and my neighbors smelled it from across the street and came over to join in on the fumes :snorkel:

thumb_IMG_5028_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5029_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5030_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5031_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5032_1024.jpg

aausmana

Adventurer
So after I got the Chassis Liner on the whole lot I let it dry for three days and then applied the Monstaliner. Overall it really helped pull everything together.

thumb_IMG_5035_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5036_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5038_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5039_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5042_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_5044_1024.jpg

aausmana

Adventurer
And finally I fitted everything bolted the system to the chassis and installed the drawers. The right front panel is reserved for electrical outlets and the left may be used for compressor switch, plug and a water outlet..

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5114.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

Where's the last drawer?!?!?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94