Bear, My 200 Series Newbie Build

aausmana

Adventurer
Hi everyone. I've been a ghost on ExPo for well over 3 years, and finally joined ExPo just over 2 years ago. I haven't really been much of a contributor, though I have PM'd with a few on here, and mostly used my countless hours of surfing ExPo to soak in the amazing wealth of information there is on here and a few other forums. That is going to change now. There are so many of you I have learned from, will be emulating, and have spoken to by now. I will try to note how I was able to get here and how each of you have helped. What I have come to learn is that this community is so tightly knit, most everyone has heard of or knows everyone else, and no matter what, everyone is always willing to take a phone call, meet up, or help however they can. This is also part of the reason I love this lifestyle so much, it is one of the few places in the world where you can still find this level of involvement and commitment. If I leave any of you out, I sincerely apologize for that oversight!

I have been into camping, hiking, etc. for many years. I have always wanted to start a build like the one I am about to share with you for some time. The ability to take off, go literally anywhere, and be self-sustained almost indefinitely has intrigued me since I was very young. I have finally decided to jump right in and go for it...well, that and it took several years of convincing my wife Lauren that all would be OK, and that we are only dipping our toe into what enjoying life really feels like. :sombrero:

It all started with Theron Humphrey's build thread of his FJ60 over on mud (not sure if he is on ExPo). If you haven't seen it, or don't know of him, follow him on Instagram @thiswildidea...he does some pretty cool stuff. This wasn't nearly the first build thread I dove into, there was Paul May/Equipt1's 100 series thread, his 4R build, Kurt from CruiserOutfitters 100 series build, AdventureDriven's Lexy build, and many others are amazing as well and had their part in my learning, interest, excitement...but something clicked with Theron's thread...Needless to say I was engulfed. I shared some of the captions and pictures with my wife, again slowly beginning the master plan, and Lauren started listening.
:REAdvRockClimber:

Next came finding Expedition Overland. These guys are amazing! I somehow came across their various build threads, their website: www.xoverland.com, and their SERIES!!!! If you haven't seen them, it is a MUST! I, of course, plugged my laptop into the tv to watch...Lauren was doing something and got curious passing by, she was hooked too. Watching the XO family and their adventures really helped us get serious about the potential for a build, what we would ultimately do to Bear (our 200 series), and where we would want to explore.

Why a 200 series, besides the fact that the truck has been used worldwide for decades as exploration and safari vehicles, there were a few other reasons. I have owned a 4R (V8), Tundra, and some other vehicles. With the 4R V8 option no longer being available and the supercharger not being available for the newer gen 4r's a bug reason was the engine. Where ever we might go, I wanted the capability to confidently climb high altitudes, fully loaded with little concern. Capacity, the 4R is a great chassis but I thought for the longterm that the Land Cruiser would be better suited for us, with potentially starting a family in the next year or so, gear, etc. Additionally, the materials used the build the 200 series are vastly higher quality than the 4R, and most other vehicles for that matter. Thus, we ended up purchasing Bear very lightly used (dealer demo) with about 8500 miles on it.

Some of my plans include a custom drawer system which I will build, OME suspension running 440lb springs in the front and 880b springs in the rear, full front back and underwear treatment (much more to come on this very soon :Wow1:), K9 roof rack, national luna fridge, clamshell storage for the 60% side of the middle row seats, IBS dual battery solution with a rear bluesea saftey hub for my rear cargo electrical distribution which I will install, and potentially a water system of some sort behind the drivers seat. I am sure much more will be added as we go like compressor, small inverter, hot water, etc. I am thinking this project will take me about 12-18 months to complete.

I do want to preface this build thread by stating that I am not mechanically inclined, I do not know that much about electrical, nor woodworking - but with the help of many, and Google at our fingertips, I have been able to learn a lot which has led me to this point. I know there are more and more aftermarket accessories, drawers, etc. available in the market today, but there is something about having a slight hand in actually building your vehicle..you are emotionally invested, part of you is in it. So here we go...this build has been a long time coming and I am excited to share it with you. I put this plan together to suite my needs, which won't be everyone's needs, but it works for me..I am just hoping that someone takes a little away, or sparks an idea, like so many threads have done on here for me....Also, I do tend to over analyze things and take my time with them so the progress of this build may be a little slow for some, onto the FUN! :victory:

Below are some pictures of when we brought her home:

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4437.jpg

Next up...removing the 3rd row seats and starting the drawer plan...

H

High Country Nomads

Very nice, I'm thinking this is my next build. I'll follow this thread for sure.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
This build sounds fantastic! I'll be watching with anticipation. I loved reading your story and how you decided to be a part of this community. I remember the path I took too. I love that you're letting us join in for your first run.

aausmana

Adventurer
Thanks guys! It's been fun so far - hardest part is prioritizing everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aausmana

Adventurer
Let's Get Started

After a slight delay due to posting restrictions which are now resolved - thank you Dendy @ ExPo for the help! - we can now move forward.

Removal of the rear seats was cake - 4 bolts on each of the 3rd row seats after removing the plastics and viola, out they come. I thought I had taken some pictures of actually removing the seats but apparently I did not... again, my ability to remember to take photos along the way has also increased.

Here is a picture of how much room the 200 series has, middle row tumbled:

thumb_IMG_4440_1024.jpg

I used cardboard to make a template of what I was thinking - width, depth, height wise. I also sketched out several build plans for my drawer system but I believe they were misplaced in the move.

thumb_IMG_4441_1024.jpg

And starting to build the carcass of the drawers. I used 3/4" Baltic Birch Ply for the Carcass, center support, and wings, and will use 1/2" birch for the drawers themselves.

thumb_IMG_4477_1024.jpg

aausmana

Adventurer
This build sounds fantastic! I'll be watching with anticipation. I loved reading your story and how you decided to be a part of this community. I remember the path I took too. I love that you're letting us join in for your first run.

Have fun! 200's are the new 100's and the platform is going to be awesome!

Thanks guys! It took a long time but I cannot wait to see what this platform turns into across the US (as it has already taken off in other areas of the world)!

@wreckdriver1321, your frontier looks fantastic! How are you liking your e-locker? This mod may not ever happen unless absolutely needed but I have contemplated going with an e-locker vs. the ARB air lockers as I have heard of many o-ring failures, etc. and the need to continuously cycle them.

Are you by Yellowstone? We are heading to Yellowstone and Grand Teton week of August 8th and I was thinking about making a quick pass up through Absaroka-Beartooth if there is any way I can fit it in...

@Rezarf - Drew, I saw portions of your build thread and it is looking fantastic. Love the details of your electrical and can't wait to see more. Are you going to run a dual battery set-up? I will be kicking my electrical off in about 2 months.

Sad to see that the m12K winch did not fit. I chose that winch and it will be going into a custom front bumper that CBI Offroad will be building, and hopefully manufacturing, very soon. Did you decide which route you are going to go with the winch?

aausmana

Adventurer
Congrats on the purchase! I want a 200 so bad, maybe one day when they're at the price point of an 80 lol.

Thanks! It was daunting but after I could not find any solid 80's or 100's in my area that weren't either beat to crap or outrageously priced, I decided to jump in head first and commit myself to building something that will last me 10+ years of enjoyment.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Thanks guys! It took a long time but I cannot wait to see what this platform turns into across the US (as it has already taken off in other areas of the world)!

@wreckdriver1321, your frontier looks fantastic! How are you liking your e-locker? This mod may not ever happen unless absolutely needed but I have contemplated going with an e-locker vs. the ARB air lockers as I have heard of many o-ring failures, etc. and the need to continuously cycle them.

Are you by Yellowstone? We are heading to Yellowstone and Grand Teton week of August 8th and I was thinking about making a quick pass up through Absaroka-Beartooth if there is any way I can fit it in...

Thanks my man! She's come a long way, and I love her to death. Been so many great places, and have so many more to go.

I love my e-locker. It's really nice to just flip a switch and have more traction and capability. Mine is a factory locker though, so I'm limited to using it in low range, which is okay by me. It does the job, and it does it quite well. I like that it doesn't need to have the compressor running to keep it engaged, but I can tell you without a doubt that if I didn't have the e-locker, I'd go with the ARB air locker. I think issues with them tend to be really quite rare. You're just less likely to hear about the people who don't have any problems than the people who do. That's the internet for you :)

Yeah, I'm only about 2 1/2 hours from Yellowstone. If you want, I can take a day, meet up with you and show you the best parts of the Beartooths. We can even hit some of the lighter mining trails up north of Cooke City, which will leave you breathless. From the view and the altitude. We can also run up and over the Beartooth Highway, which is just about the prettiest place I've been. I can think of a couple other places too, if you wanna check em out. I'd highly recommend taking a day to run around out there. The scenery is unbeatable.

aausmana

Adventurer
I measured four times for every cut, predrilled, and glued/screwed everything. Looking back, a definitely not needed add on were the metal L brackets I used on the inside 90's and up the spine of the carcass... oh well, when I do this again in years to come I will remember that...

thumb_IMG_4478_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4482_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4484_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_4481_1024.jpg

aausmana

Adventurer
Thanks my man! She's come a long way, and I love her to death. Been so many great places, and have so many more to go.

I love my e-locker. It's really nice to just flip a switch and have more traction and capability. Mine is a factory locker though, so I'm limited to using it in low range, which is okay by me. It does the job, and it does it quite well. I like that it doesn't need to have the compressor running to keep it engaged, but I can tell you without a doubt that if I didn't have the e-locker, I'd go with the ARB air locker. I think issues with them tend to be really quite rare. You're just less likely to hear about the people who don't have any problems than the people who do. That's the internet for you :)

Yeah, I'm only about 2 1/2 hours from Yellowstone. If you want, I can take a day, meet up with you and show you the best parts of the Beartooths. We can even hit some of the lighter mining trails up north of Cooke City, which will leave you breathless. From the view and the altitude. We can also run up and over the Beartooth Highway, which is just about the prettiest place I've been. I can think of a couple other places too, if you wanna check em out. I'd highly recommend taking a day to run around out there. The scenery is unbeatable.

Very true about the internet age of wisdom. I have heard it from a few others as well but opinions are just that...If I need to get serious about thinking about them, I am sure I will dive into much deeper then..pun intended.

Yeah I would love that. Let me talk to Lauren about it and see if I can either plan an extra day up there, or move the itinerary around. I have 3-4 in Yellowstone and 2-3 in Grand Teton. I would love to do the Beartooth Highway and hit some trails.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Very true about the internet age of wisdom. I have heard it from a few others as well but opinions are just that...If I need to get serious about thinking about them, I am sure I will dive into much deeper then..pun intended.

Yeah I would love that. Let me talk to Lauren about it and see if I can either plan an extra day up there, or move the itinerary around. I have 3-4 in Yellowstone and 2-3 in Grand Teton. I would love to do the Beartooth Highway and hit some trails.

Yeah definitely, just let me know. I'm in. I'll show you the places tourists never go, and even some only the locals know. The most scenic stuff would be doable in a day. Just have to meet me in Cooke kind of early. But it's totally worth it. I've got some photos on my Flickr page. Just check out the albums and they'll say where the photos were taken. Use them to convince Lauren :D

aausmana

Adventurer
Yeah definitely, just let me know. I'm in. I'll show you the places tourists never go, and even some only the locals know. The most scenic stuff would be doable in a day. Just have to meet me in Cooke kind of early. But it's totally worth it. I've got some photos on my Flickr page. Just check out the albums and they'll say where the photos were taken. Use them to convince Lauren :D

Awesome. Will do. May drive through the day and night to be there bright and early. Any recommended camping spots where I can just pull in about 30-60min southwest of town. We'll be coming from the San Francisco area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94