Tuff Stuff RTT review

matches130

Organizer
I recently purchased and installed a Tuff Stuff RTT with annex. I have to say that I am overly impressed with the tent. The quality is great and the set up/take down is super easy. I decided to buy this tent because it had the awning over the ladder and the annex was included for "free". I bought it on Amazon and the owner of the company called me that afternoon to talk about the tent. I would highly recommend this tent. it was $1225.00 with shipping.

matches130

Organizer
Update

I recently was camping in central Az and on our first night the wind was extremely bad. The tent held up fantastically. I took down the awning and poles on the windward side as the wind was hitting the tent broad side. The tent performed brilliantly and I couldn't have been more pleased. The annex was installed too and that worked really well because we kept our gear in the annex out of the weather.

spikemd

Explorer
I agree 100%. It is a much higher quality than expected and I am thoroughly impressed with mine. It kept me warm and dry through a night of snow in the Sierra at the start of the Rubicon along with many nights in mild weather. The annex is easy to install if you are camping for a few days and I don't take the cover off and just zip it on.

Upgrades I have performed: just added a 2 inch foam topper which barely stuffed in the mattress cover. LED colored lights from IKEA. Used double sided tape to attach a strip to each of the 3 internal poles. Ran a 12v wire from the battery to the connection box and now I have permanent lighting in the tent.

The guys at RuffStuff are really easy to work with and I highly recommend them. On their website, the tent goes on sale frequently to save another $100 or so.

2015_moab29.jpg

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I've also been considering the TuffStuff RTT. My problem is I just can't decide between it or the Smitttybilt XL. The Smittybilt XL is a little cheaper but no annex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

offthepath

Adventurer
I finally got my Tuffstuff tent and am pretty happy with it so far. It has been raining and snowing so we were not able to use it this weekend but I left it set up to see how it handled the weather. So far after a solid 24hrs of rain and snow its basically dry inside. Right in the middle at the bottom seam there is some moisture but the mattress is not wet.

I am going to do a full review after we spend a few nights in it but so far it seems like a good deal, especially when Im pretty sure its almost identical to several other more expensive tents on the market.

I was torn between the smittybuilt and I think that tent still has a real draw especially with the backing of four wheel parts, however for me the tuffstuff won out. I looked at the fact the Tuffstuff was 1in larger in every dimension, had no see-um mesh vs mosquito netting, and finally the tuffstuff had the annex which I see as being really nice for a family.

JCDriller

Adventurer
I got my Tuff Stuff a couple weeks ago, picked it up locally for $1000 Cash. How can you turn that down! I ordered a Tepui ladder extension and a CVT accessory channel so I can install the annex without removing the travel cover. All works well. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't see how these don't come right out of the same factory in China. I'm not arguing that Tepui has someone who is full time QC, but it's hard to see any issued with my $1000 Tuff Stuff.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
I got my Tuff Stuff a couple weeks ago, picked it up locally for $1000 Cash. How can you turn that down! I ordered a Tepui ladder extension and a CVT accessory channel so I can install the annex without removing the travel cover. All works well. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't see how these don't come right out of the same factory in China. I'm not arguing that Tepui has someone who is full time QC, but it's hard to see any issued with my $1000 Tuff Stuff.

Is the $1000 dollar deal a deal they will do for anyone with local pickup? Or did you know someone? How'd you get the deal? Also is this considered a 2 or 3 man tent? Do they only offer the one size. Size matters to me at 6'5. Haha

JCDriller

Adventurer
Is the $1000 dollar deal a deal they will do for anyone with local pickup? Or did you know someone? How'd you get the deal? Also is this considered a 2 or 3 man tent? Do they only offer the one size. Size matters to me at 6'5. Haha

Nothing special, they advertise it locally on Craigslist. It would be fine with 2 adults and a child, tight with 3 adults unless said adults were 2 other women :wings: Also, I'm 6'1 and I don't come close to the edge, you'll fit a 6'5" just fine.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
How does the tepui ladder extension hook up to the TuffStuff ladder. I just bought there RTT and my ladder is to short. My tent floor height is about 7'3". Is the Tupui ladder extension enough? Did you order direct or from someone else. I need one for the Overland show in just over a week. Just need to know if it will work or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

How does the tepui ladder extension hook up to the TuffStuff ladder. I just bought there RTT and my ladder is to short. My tent floor height is about 7'3". Is the Tupui ladder extension enough? Did you order direct or from someone else. I need one for the Overland show in just over a week. Just need to know if it will work or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is a Tepui ladder extension available for the sliding style ladders. Or the standard telescoping ladder offered on all Tepui tents that will extend as far as 8'6". The telescoping ladder is a much better design IMO but both are options for anyone looking for a ladder change.
In response to the comment about the TuffStuff and the Tepui coming from the same factory, they don't. There are dozens of factories that are manufacturing tents now and many are piggy-backing on designs. So there are visible similarities, but if compared side by side, the differences become more evident.

offthepath

Adventurer
There is a Tepui ladder extension available for the sliding style ladders. Or the standard telescoping ladder offered on all Tepui tents that will extend as far as 8'6". The telescoping ladder is a much better design IMO but both are options for anyone looking for a ladder change.
In response to the comment about the TuffStuff and the Tepui coming from the same factory, they don't. There are dozens of factories that are manufacturing tents now and many are piggy-backing on designs. So there are visible similarities, but if compared side by side, the differences become more evident.

What are the differences?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior