Picked Up A New 8" In Dash Alpine......Need Insight

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Help explain the Alpine INE-Z928HD 8" in dash model

It has NAV 38, NAVTEQ on board. Topo maps, maps with terrain features of city skyline, roads, etc. Tells you where to go it seems.

Ipod, Bluetooth, HD Radio, Pandora, Sirius, Dolby, USB & DVD, MP3, DIVX, AAC & Windows media. It can take 2 cameras.

Okay, don't know what half that is!

I'm building a console to house the unit in my 99 F-150, it won't go in the dash unless I redisgn the dash, which I might do later on.

What kind of GPS NAV systems can work with this unit?

I was born before 1969 so I'm technologically deficient. :ylsmoke:

husker77c

Help explain the Alpine INE-Z928HD 8" in dash model

It has NAV 38, NAVTEQ on board. Topo maps, maps with terrain features of city skyline, roads, etc. Tells you where to go it seems.

Ipod, Bluetooth, HD Radio, Pandora, Sirius, Dolby, USB & DVD, MP3, DIVX, AAC & Windows media. It can take 2 cameras.

Okay, don't know what half that is!

I'm building a console to house the unit in my 99 F-150, it won't go in the dash unless I redisgn the dash, which I might do later on.

What kind of GPS NAV systems can work with this unit?

I was born before 1969 so I'm technologically deficient. :ylsmoke:

I used to be into car audio in my younger days and to a certain extent I still am, my tastes have just changed. That being said I'm not intimately familiar with that particular Alpine. If it is like the ones I've dealt with in the past you are stuck with whatever navigation is installed on the unit. You may be able to use the USB to run something else through the display but I doubt it. USB is used for connecting a phone for audio or a USB flash drive with audio files.

You may know some of these so don't think Im talking down to you if thats the case. You said you didn't know half but didn't say which half. :)

-iPod means it controls an iphone through the unit via the touchscreen.

-Bluetooth is the wireless connection for a phone to use the handsfree function or to stream audio from the phone to the unit.

-HD radio is terrestrial radio that is broadcasted digitally similar to the HD channels on your TV you now receive over the air, these are you local channels on normal FM radio.

-Pandora is a music streaming app that is fantastic. You customize it and it plays music it thinks you will like, try it out its cool and free. You can control the app through the Alpine.

-Sirius is satellite radio, also fantastic if you've never tried it out.

-Dolby used to be a form of noise reduction designed to reduce hiss out of cassette tapes, now its basically referred to as surround sound. your unit will decode surround sound on DVDs. You will need separate amplifiers for that and its a much more complicated system than just hooking it up and plugging it in like you're planning to do.

-USB is for what i explained above, connecting and charging a phone, or attaching a USB flash drive with audio files.

-DVD you you can watch movies, although there is usually a safety feature that requires the vehicle to be in park with the emergency brake on to work. There are ways around that youtube is your friend.

-MP3 means it plays compressed MP3 files when burned to a disk. uncompressed you get 15-19 songs on a CD, with compressed MP3s you can fit several hundred on a disk, the unit wil allow you to navigate the disc via folders so you aren't just skipping through 150 songs to find the one you want.

-DIVX is similar MP3s, it is a compression format for video files, you can burn them to a disk and play them through the unit.

-AAC is Apples proprietary music compression format, similar to MP3 but can only be played on AAC compatible devices unlike MP3s which can play on almost anything.

-Windows media is the same things as AAC but with less restrictions.

Edited for clarification

kj4vyi

you should be able to fit that radio in the dash location -- will take some trimming of the panel that covers the radio and make your own brackets to hold the radio in but it would look a heck of a lot better in the factory location than in a console below the cup holder

I have a 99 / 00 f150 and thought about a console but changed my mind as when i wanted to change stations or look at directions on the map i would be constantly looking down ( eyes off the road ) instead of glancing to my right and seeing the large 8" screen without really taking eyes off the road.

I too have been in the car audio world for over 20 years still do a few installs every month and it amazes me how much stuff they can cram into a car radio these days !!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I know this an old thread, but I just found it and really need to thank you both for the information, so thank you!

Well, sold the F-150, I bought it new and miss it, but my neighbor bought it and I get to see it everyday....with regrets!

The Alpine is now going in an Astro van, planning on a customized dash so room is not an issue.

It may take me a year to learn how to use this thing, if I ever do, it might just be a radio and a camera screen, LOL :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94