Tablet Help

DarksydeFab

I received a Duel Electronics Skypro GPS antenna and a ram mount as a gift. I currently only have an ipad mini which I know will work but is an android based tablet a better option because of micro sd expansion allowing for topo maps etc to be added?

Also looking for best tablet mapping app or software for offline mapping

Im new to this part of enjoying the outdoors but want to do it right the first time.

Thanks in Advance
T

We have an iPad and have a couple of apps loaded for navigation. One is PDF Maps. It allows you to download maps that are in Adobe PDF format and also PDF geo referenced maps. If you have the space you can load USGS topos into it. This is for off line use only. The other app we use is Motion X GPS HD. It allows for both on line and off line maps.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I received a Duel Electronics Skypro GPS antenna and a ram mount as a gift. I currently only have an ipad mini which I know will work but is an android based tablet a better option because of micro sd expansion allowing for topo maps etc to be added?

Also looking for best tablet mapping app or software for offline mapping

Im new to this part of enjoying the outdoors but want to do it right the first time.

Thanks in Advance
T

The short and long answer is YES. you will benefit from having an android tablet with SD exapansion. I suggest the incredibly inexpensive LePan Mini. I have one and it rocks. same size as the ipad, screen is just as good and you have SD expansion, you can use the cheap OBD reader for vehicle sensors etc. all in all a much better setup than the closed apple system.

kojackJKU

Cool. Good choice. You should pick up a cheap GPS receiver and OBD plug off ebay. Makes a world of difference!

kojackJKU

cool I use a cheap 20 buck one off ebay and it locks on in about 15 seconds. Works really well!

fishEH

Explorer
I've never had a problem with my Samsung Tab3 locking on to and holding GPS signal with no external antenna. And its a WiFi only tablet so cell signal isn't helping.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've never had a problem with my Samsung Tab3 locking on to and holding GPS signal with no external antenna. And its a WiFi only tablet so cell signal isn't helping.

Ditto here. My Tab4 sits "low" on the dash and is theoretically shaded from a sky view, but always locks up eventually. I'd wait on an external puck or antenna until you know if you have problems.

kojackJKU

The good thing with having the external, if you have a power issue with a cord or something, you will have power much longer because your not using GPS receiver from the tablet. 20 bucks, I will just grab the external module. Its faster than on board as well, at positioning as well.

KYC

Adventurer
We have an iPad and have a couple of apps loaded for navigation. One is PDF Maps. It allows you to download maps that are in Adobe PDF format and also PDF geo referenced maps. If you have the space you can load USGS topos into it. This is for off line use only. The other app we use is Motion X GPS HD. It allows for both on line and off line maps.

I second this.

This is the best no nonsense way to do it.

You can see yourself on the pdf map when you have it open. It is simple as hell

WOODY2

Adventurer
Since you have the I Pad mini check out Scenic Maps" It remains resident no ongoing down loads needed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke