just got my tablet now what?

MOguy

Explorer
I downloaded HERE for on road now I am looking for topos. It is overwhelming. Much of my time will be spent in federal and state forestry. I am on an android. I want to be able to share routes with others. Are there apps to look for and some to avoid? I know I want it to operate GPS only.

I tried a search and there is too much info.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm a big fan of Backcountry Navigator. The range of free maps is decent, and the paid maps are not expensive. The interface has a bit of a learning curve, but if you actually read their helps, etc. it's very doable. My favorite thing is how easy it is to pre-generate a track in Google Earth, then download it into the map package so I can follow a "breadcrumb" while out on trail.

carbon60

Explorer
I downloaded HERE for on road now I am looking for topos. It is overwhelming. Much of my time will be spent in federal and state forestry. I am on an android. I want to be able to share routes with others. Are there apps to look for and some to avoid? I know I want it to operate GPS only.

I have some very good success with Osmond, which uses OpenStreetMap data (and can use other data). One of the cool things is that you can easily use recorded GPS tracks to go and correct/add the OpenStreetMap data, which will then get downloaded to your tablet (and mine!) when you grab the monthly updates.

I also use Gaia GPS.

A.

MOguy

Explorer
Are the track you save able to be saved where multiple devices, apps or software can read them? For example I can save a picture as a jpeg?

Another question, with on road type app or devices such as a Tom Tom I can click for various nearby points of interest. Are there topos style apps that have this option for things such h as historical points of intrest, trails, fishing, places to launch your boat etc?

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
I'm a big fan of Backcountry Navigator. The range of free maps is decent, and the paid maps are not expensive. The interface has a bit of a learning curve, but if you actually read their helps, etc. it's very doable. My favorite thing is how easy it is to pre-generate a track in Google Earth, then download it into the map package so I can follow a "breadcrumb" while out on trail.
I downloaded backcountry navigator and it asked me to choose a map. What do you suggest?

gmwelder86

Adventurer
I liked the usgs topo or sati-light maps or the hybrids. Very handy when searching for things like camping sites while on the trail.

1Louder

Explorer
If you are not tech savvy GAIA makes it very easy to download maps. You can pick the area or if you have imported a route GAIA will download the maps around a track just tell it to do so. Visit the GAIA GPS site for more info. I'm sure BCN works in a similar fashion. Orux is popular on Android but I found mao downloading to be a pain. All of these apps create GPX files which are universal and can be shared.

You said you searched and there was too much information. I suggest taking the time to read through the other posts since many don't have time to retype all of the same information over and over again.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Another vote for Backcountry Navigator. Especially if you're going to be in a lot of NFS stuff. I've found the National Forest maps on BCN to be pretty helpful, especially in conjunction with a simpler, wider coverage map like Open Street Maps.

I'm with Herbie, one of my favorite things about BCN is how much it will let you do, especially if you're willing to put a little time into learning the program. I also plot routes in google maps, convert the track to GPX, then load it into a Dropbox folder that I have set for offline access on my tablet. I do the same thing with local pdf maps I find and other gpx tracks I might need. Makes it easy to manage things from a desktop, then I have everything I need offline on the trail.

BCN also makes a pretty great companion for map and compass work, makes it easy to flag and share interesting locations or tracks, and gives you LOADS of mapping options.

For a simpler, easier to use option, I use maps.me. It works great if you're sticking to roads and don't need all the extra tracking,import/export,waypoint marking, and multiple map options.

MOguy

Explorer
If you are not tech savvy GAIA makes it very easy to download maps. You can pick the area or if you have imported a route GAIA will download the maps around a track just tell it to do so. Visit the GAIA GPS site for more info. I'm sure BCN works in a similar fashion. Orux is popular on Android but I found mao downloading to be a pain. All of these apps create GPX files which are universal and can be shared.

You said you searched and there was too much information. I suggest taking the time to read through the other posts since many don't have time to retype all of the same information over and over again.

when I am on my computer I can search, when I am on my tablet it doesn't work. I have been getting through more posts.. Thanks.

MOguy

Explorer
Another vote for Backcountry Navigator. Especially if you're going to be in a lot of NFS stuff. I've found the National Forest maps on BCN to be pretty helpful, especially in conjunction with a simpler, wider coverage map like Open Street Maps.

I'm with Herbie, one of my favorite things about BCN is how much it will let you do, especially if you're willing to put a little time into learning the program. I also plot routes in google maps, convert the track to GPX, then load it into a Dropbox folder that I have set for offline access on my tablet. I do the same thing with local pdf maps I find and other gpx tracks I might need. Makes it easy to manage things from a desktop, then I have everything I need offline on the trail.

BCN also makes a pretty great companion for map and compass work, makes it easy to flag and share interesting locations or tracks, and gives you LOADS of mapping options.

For a simpler, easier to use option, I use maps.me. It works great if you're sticking to roads and don't need all the extra tracking,import/export,waypoint marking, and multiple map options.

Thanks

MOguy

Explorer
I have a Lowarance GPS that has incredible topo maps with both all sorts of trails, forestry, state and county. It even lets you know if you are on private on public lands. It has forestry gates marked and it is usually very accurate. The problem is I only have them for my region and I will be traveling further out. I could buy more maps for my Lowarnce but it isn't much more to buy a new tablet and the tablet is far more versatile and a bigger screen.

AaronK

Explorer
I use Orux. The one thing that I really like that it does that I haven't found on any of the others is offline routing. Pick a point you're trying to get to and it'll build you a route to get there, all offline.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior