Installing an OEM pop window into windowless panel of our ford van

mike.marcacci

Adventurer
Hey everybody! I'm curious - has anybody had experiencing installing factory Ford windows into places they don't belong? My wife, brother and I have been working on our Type II ambulance, and we have just enough room on the left side between the shelving for a small window. I hate the way flat windows bend the outer sheet metal, so we snagged a factory pop-window that belongs on passenger barn door.

It actually narrows slightly toward the back with the van's curvature, so aesthetically it won't be perfect, but i doubt anybody will be able to notice. My question is: does anybody have any experience or suggestions on how to actually attach this to the van so it doesn't wobble or leak?

Thanks in advance!

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

If I were going that direction..... I'd take the window off the frame, make sure darn well where you want it, and start by drilling the holes into the side of the body. Once the holes are drilled I'd rough cut with a jigsaw and finish out with a router. Though I'm not sure the router would cut the steel body like it does in aluminum. I'd probably make a doubler plate for the inside of the body out of strips of 1/8" material to ack as a big washer so the panels don't distort so bad since the factory pressed shape won't be there. Seal it up with windshield adhesive or butyl and run it.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
The glass appears to be from the side door, the smaller one. Why not get yourself a replacement door (from the pull a part/junkyard) that has the factory window opening in it? It would be in the long run better looking, better finish, and less headaches imho.

Last edited:

philos

Explorer
That window is designed to sit inside a "channel" for lack of better term. It's basically a recessed second piece of metal that the window sits in. The inside of the door has provisions to hold the latch, etc.
You'll be far ahead just buying a small window that already has the curve built in. CR Lawrence makes some.
There's also a non opening 60/40 window like you've pictured that cr Lawrence makes for the barn doors; it would be easier to go that route if it's the look you're after.
Aftermarket windows are pretty easy to install. Jigsaw and a marker...finish with butyl tape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mike.marcacci

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies! Jigsaw and butyl tape - perfect.

start by drilling the holes into the side of the body
That's exactly what I was thinking - make a cardboard template with holes for the bolts, drill the first one from the inside to be sure it's where it needs to be, then finish the rest from the outside to make sure everything is as level as possible.

make a doubler plate for the inside of the body
I had been playing around with this idea too - the factory installed ones have two pieces of body sheet in a pinch-welded, which feels quite strong. I just checked my measurements, and the top and bottom bolts will be going through the second inner layer of metal that supports windows in passenger models. The sides, though will probably need some kind of reinforcement... just not sure what kind. I haven't welded since high school, and I'm not about to start up again on sheet metal :)

@philos - we have looked into the CRL windows, but struggled to find one of the right size, with the curvature and some sort of ventilation option. I sure wouldn't mind giving one a go, but I've scoured the internet and come up empty. The problem is that the opening is positioned where half of it is obscured by factory roof support (and I'm not willing to cut that out), leaving us a shape and size that is not very common. Also, our quest for a cross-breeze (this is the only spot for a vent on the left side of the van) limits our options. If anybody knows of aftermarket windows that fit these requirements, I'd be *thrilled*!

One big problem with our current plan is how we will mount the latch. We're going to be building out a narrow shelf behind the cabinets, aft of the nook to slide the coleman stove, and I figured I could just extend that. Fortunately, I also have the fixed window we replaced on our actual barn doors, so I can use that at first and figure out the latch after the fact.

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

mike.marcacci

Adventurer
Okay, so we took the plunge today and it turned out to be quite an easy job! We have to figure out how we're going to fill the gap between the sheet panels, but the window itself is solid. Right now we have our fixed window in place, but we'll be swapping it out for the pop-out passenger ones as soon as we have a place to attach the latch. We're also just using general purpose weather stripping, because these are going to come off in a little bit to raptor line the whole van. We'll probably use butyl after that's done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online