Jelorian's 03 Z71 Suburban Build

rayra

Expedition Leader
It might be worthwhile to modify the large Smittybuilt. They certainly are huge / roomy.

561479d1290970297-5x10-roof-rack-my-suburban-2010-03-27-18.46.50.jpg

It wouldn't be difficult to append some mounting tabs to the bottom of such a rack, such that it bolts right to your Z71 rack in the same way I did my flat bar cross brace tabs. Yours would just hang down just inside the Z71 rails for attachment. Or you could do an inverted cross brace out of 3/4" square tubing, with tabs weld on their ends spaced so the tubing is flush with the top of the side rails and then fabricate a mounting method that attaches the smitty rack to them. So the Smitty rack sits flush on top of the Z71. It would look sort of imposing, but the Smitty rack is on its own, anyway.

BajaRack's MegaMule is a decent size, and.but at 48" wide it too would have to perch on top of the Z71. But it's only 5-1/2' long.
http://www.bajarack.com/?id=themegamule

There's been some real nice racks made out of EMT. And a decent local welder wouldn't cost a terrible lot. And you could design it to fit however you want, have whatever features you want.

If you aren't attached to the Z71 rack, I'm sure you could find an easy trade with someone with an LT. But best check if the mounting holes are the same. The LT is more slight, and sits lower, could serve as a mount for an aftermarket basket without things stacking up too high.

just tossing out ideas.

saabman

Hi Jelorian;
I found your post and would like to ask your advice:
Would the 17x8 rims fit a stock ride height with 265/70R17 tire on it?
Love the look of the Level 8!!!
Thanks for your feedback :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'll answer that if you don't mind. The 17x8 / 265/70-17 is the stock config on the Z-71 GMT800 Subs. Fitment is just fine. I just completed a 2" leveling / lift on mine and it didn't substantially change my clearances either, due to the shapes of the wheel well openings. And should readily fit a 33" in the front wheel well tubs with the lift without rubbing at max steerign turn. I had no rub with my 265/70-17s, stock, even before I cranked the front torsion bars a bit. And now with a bit more room after the lift install.

saabman

I'll answer that if you don't mind. The 17x8 / 265/70-17 is the stock config on the Z-71 GMT800 Subs. Fitment is just fine. I just completed a 2" leveling / lift on mine and it didn't substantially change my clearances either, due to the shapes of the wheel well openings. And should readily fit a 33" in the front wheel well tubs with the lift without rubbing at max steerign turn. I had no rub with my 265/70-17s, stock, even before I cranked the front torsion bars a bit. And now with a bit more room after the lift install.

Thanks for your reply :)
OK for tyre size then great...
Just one extra detail, the level 8 rims are stated at 4.5 inch backspacing, and the guys at summit told me the oem ride would probably only take 4.9 inches
Can't quite see how this would be an issue but thought I would add this detail just in case... ;)

Jelorian

Adventurer
Hi Jelorian;
I found your post and would like to ask your advice:
Would the 17x8 rims fit a stock ride height with 265/70R17 tire on it?
Love the look of the Level 8!!!
Thanks for your feedback :)

Sorry for the late reply. I apologize! I haven't been on this site as often as I'd like.

However, the Level 8's with the 265/70R17 should fit just fine.

I would say go for it.

We'll have to see pics after you get the wheels and tires!

Cheers!

Jelorian

Adventurer
It might be worthwhile to modify the large Smittybuilt. They certainly are huge / roomy.

561479d1290970297-5x10-roof-rack-my-suburban-2010-03-27-18.46.50.jpg

It wouldn't be difficult to append some mounting tabs to the bottom of such a rack, such that it bolts right to your Z71 rack in the same way I did my flat bar cross brace tabs. Yours would just hang down just inside the Z71 rails for attachment. Or you could do an inverted cross brace out of 3/4" square tubing, with tabs weld on their ends spaced so the tubing is flush with the top of the side rails and then fabricate a mounting method that attaches the smitty rack to them. So the Smitty rack sits flush on top of the Z71. It would look sort of imposing, but the Smitty rack is on its own, anyway.

BajaRack's MegaMule is a decent size, and.but at 48" wide it too would have to perch on top of the Z71. But it's only 5-1/2' long.
http://www.bajarack.com/?id=themegamule

There's been some real nice racks made out of EMT. And a decent local welder wouldn't cost a terrible lot. And you could design it to fit however you want, have whatever features you want.

If you aren't attached to the Z71 rack, I'm sure you could find an easy trade with someone with an LT. But best check if the mounting holes are the same. The LT is more slight, and sits lower, could serve as a mount for an aftermarket basket without things stacking up too high.

just tossing out ideas.

rayra, thanks for taking the time to write up all that info. Good suggestions and tips. I haven't gotten around to getting a roof rack yet as now I'm torn between getting a roor rack or a roof top tent. Argh... decision decisions.

Great looking 'Burb! One of my favorites.

ExplorerTom, you are too kind! Thanks!

I have to agree! :iagree:Nice looking `Burb´:smiley_drive::bigbossHL:

Thanks chilliwak! Cheers!

rayra, if I'm not mistaken, the snowflakes that came with my 03 were 17x7.5. Only a half inch narrower. 5.5" backspacing.

If my 05 z71 was not a total POS it would look pretty well exactly like this! awesome job!

Hahaha...I'm sure you love her just the same. Thanks kojackJKU!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Nah, she's my plow rig now. She's left us stranded more times than I can count. Which sucks because it would be an awesome rig if it were reliable. I am going to boost it and move it today, it has not been started since april. We just don't feel comfortable doing long distances. I love yours however....looks awesome with all the additions. Just like I knew they would. I had the same setup in my head for mine except I was going to go with bronze guardians.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Jelorian your rig is looking mighty pretty! I will always be jealous of you guys with the z71's and gotta say I love the wheel/tire combo! If I were you I would put the rooftop tent in to the back and a small 4x4 rack in the front if it fits.

rayra

Expedition Leader
hmmm. The steel rim I scavenged up for my spare was indeed stamped 17x7.5, but for some reason I was thinking the aluminum 'snowflake' rims were 17x8. Maybe the tire installer said it and it stuck in my brain...

saabman

Sorry for the late reply. I apologize! I haven't been on this site as often as I'd like.

However, the Level 8's with the 265/70R17 should fit just fine.

I would say go for it.

We'll have to see pics after you get the wheels and tires!

Cheers!

Hi again;
No problem I was not in a hurry :)
Great thank you for your answer!
I will for sure post up a before and after pic when I get them!
Thanks again!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
well, Thanks Jelorian.....since eyeballing your rig, And the fact that it's going to be 1700 bucks just for parts to swap the plow to my f150, I am going to build my burb back again. Resurection. I am going to go pretty well the same as yours. and try to get the wife to ride in it again. We had some close calls in it, brake line bust and lost all brakes on one trip, had one of the snowflake wheels fall off at 100kph once....so you can see our trepedation in using it again! ha ha.

Jelorian

Adventurer
Nah, she's my plow rig now. She's left us stranded more times than I can count. Which sucks because it would be an awesome rig if it were reliable. I am going to boost it and move it today, it has not been started since april. We just don't feel comfortable doing long distances. I love yours however....looks awesome with all the additions. Just like I knew they would. I had the same setup in my head for mine except I was going to go with bronze guardians.

Keep her alive I say!! Give her one more chance!

Jelorian your rig is looking mighty pretty! I will always be jealous of you guys with the z71's and gotta say I love the wheel/tire combo! If I were you I would put the rooftop tent in to the back and a small 4x4 rack in the front if it fits.
Thanks boll_rig. Been following your build as well. Good stuff!

One of the members here has that exact setup on his Tahoe. Looks great!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-RTTs-and-Accessories**?p=2148781#post2148781

I want to do something similar, but with the big Z71 racks I may be limited. I guess I could always get rid of it, as it sits much higher than the standard LS/LT racks. I don't have sunroof so I don't need to worry about covering/blocking it.

well, Thanks Jelorian.....since eyeballing your rig, And the fact that it's going to be 1700 bucks just for parts to swap the plow to my f150, I am going to build my burb back again. Resurection. I am going to go pretty well the same as yours. and try to get the wife to ride in it again. We had some close calls in it, brake line bust and lost all brakes on one trip, had one of the snowflake wheels fall off at 100kph once....so you can see our trepedation in using it again! ha ha.

I hear you on the reliability issue and I can see how you don't want to drive her anymore. While I'm confident of making long trips around populated areas, I'm a bit anxious of taking her out into the desert/mountains and have the 10 bolt grenade on me or the fuel pump go out. Now I'm debating looking for a 2500 GMT800 Burb since it already has the 14 bolt and the 4L80E tranny or waiting for mine to go and do the swap then. I really haven't done much to my rig that I couldn't transfer over. The tricky part would be finding one with 6 lugs instead of 8. Ah...decisions, decisions.

Good luck getting her up and running again. Would love to see pics when or a build thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior