Voice Over Recording Equipment Suggestions?

runningfrommondaywife

Soon to be adventurer
Wondering if anyone out there does voice over work from the road. I have some experience doing this, but don't own any of my own equipment. I think I know what I would buy if I was setting up a studio at home, but wondered if anyone had suggestions for recording equipment that is better for the rugged road life. We are planning to travel the Pan-American Highway starting in October.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The microphone built into the current cheap iphone headphones is pretty good. Has two mic's with 5th gen noise cancelling. Saving voice overs as memo files, and dropping them into iMovie works really well and can't get simpler or cheaper. However, for something more robust and slightly warmer sounding, check out the inexpensive desktop USB condenser mic's from Blue:

http://www.bluemic.com/desktop/

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
We recently picked up the Zoom H4N Multitrack recorder. It's very easy to use and seems to produce great sound quality. I'm not an expert by any means, but I did some research on podcast equipment and this model came pretty highly recommended for the money.

Last weekend we picked up some great audio of a coyote yipping up near Shelf Road in the Canon City CO area.

Good luck!

Butch

I have the Zoom H4N recorder and routinely run a variety of microphones into it. I am partial to Sennheiser microphones and use their wireless mics as well as their shotgun mics.

JackMCollins

Zoom do some of the best portable audio recording devices for the money, for microphones you can't go wrong with Sennheisers or Shure they do all styles of microphones and they generally have some nice cheap ones which are all fairly robust in design. I have a Shure PG48 which is a great microphone and cost me £49 with XLR cable and bag for the microphone. To protect it more I would advise picking up a Peli Case and cutting the foam to fit this would stop them being damaged on the roughest of roads

kfmeyers

You might also check out the Tascam DR-05. Very similar in purpose and features to the Zoom mentioned above, but seems to me to have a better user interface and button setup.

Tascam DR-05 at Amazon

I might also confirm that I actually own it, use it and like it.

runningfrommondaywife

Soon to be adventurer
I feel so bad, I'm new to Expo Portal and don't visit very often and just realized that I got all these replies and didn't get notifications. Thank you all so much for your info. I am looking to buy my equipment sometime next month and will let you all know what I choose. Going to research all your suggestions. Thanks a bunch!

Stu2029

Matt Nooblander
Audio Technica makes a really inexpensive Smartphone lav mic that works pretty well for a simple solution.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_atr3350is_lavalier_mic_with_smartphone.html

Just plug it into your iPhone and voice memo it. Also works well with Zoom Recorders. Then you have it for interviews too.

I did the VO for this video by just speaking into a Zoom H1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4f8QWXY4h0

Not perfect, but pretty decent. Just be careful to watch your levels, and don't speak directly at the mic because it pics up breathing and popping pretty easily.

harbinger808

Adventurer
stick with sennheiser mics for audio quality and durability. i'm an audio technician in Live Broadcast and theres a reason why Sennheiser is a go to brand. great build quality and customer service when things eventually break. A solid 416 shotgun mic with Phantom power and a Lavalier set should do what you need. As far as a recorder, Tascam or Zoom will work. Take a look on Youtube so that you can setup either recorder to the mics you buy.

runningfrommondaywife

Soon to be adventurer
stick with sennheiser mics for audio quality and durability. i'm an audio technician in Live Broadcast and theres a reason why Sennheiser is a go to brand. great build quality and customer service when things eventually break. A solid 416 shotgun mic with Phantom power and a Lavalier set should do what you need. As far as a recorder, Tascam or Zoom will work. Take a look on Youtube so that you can setup either recorder to the mics you buy.

I looked at shotgun mics as a possibility. They were pretty expensive though. I'll check out all the products you mentioned. Zoom seems to be the most recommend recorder, which was the one I was planning on. Thanks!

harbinger808

Adventurer
Yes, a Sennheiser 416 shotgun mic is expensive but it will last a lifetime for quick/pickup voice over. I've owned one for 8yrs and it went into service never :) look for a used one form a reputable seller on ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94