Any Columbia Clothing fans in here?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Anyone enjoy the price per dollar ratio of Columbia clothing? My family and I have an extensive list of Columbia gear and everything has performed beyond expectations.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I bought an Omni-Heat beanie to keep with my CG Expedition Parka. That way, I can have the hood down for driving and not be wearing a thick toque. My CG merino wool toque is MIA, btw. $$$:mad: So far, I'm very impressed with Omni-Heat. Those little silver dots seem to work! I only paid $15 on sale at the Columbia Outlet near Vancouver Airport, too.

Jason

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Can't speak for other items, but the only thing Columbia I own is a big winter jacket, parka maybe? I'll check tomorrow at work for the model number/name if it's still readable. Bought it in 2010, my first year working for the RR. Just finished my 5th winter with it. Unbelievable jacket. Not that our winters are that bad here in Atlanta, but clothing tends to not last long given my work environment. Typically stuff gets torn, ripped, or flat out holes worn in them, but this jacket has remained solid. I'll report back tomorrow.

kojackJKU

I like Columbia.
But sort of biased,, They were one of my favourite customers, nice folks overall. Mrs Boyle included !
I own a tent & outdoor goods, but for the most part their clothing is nothing I would wear.

They are an awesome company for sure! I swear by their OMNI-(fill in the blank). I have a few Omni freeze subzero shirts, and in the hot florida summers they keep me cool...whatever is in that shirt, its crazy good!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I have a light jacket made by them, nothing snazzy, just a brown jacket, some kind of soft lining and it's sort of waterproof. Probably got it because it was on sale or cheap, but I can't even remember how long ago that was or where I got it. I didn't get it for the name, but now you mention it, that thing is hanging in there well. I've worn it every Fall/Winter for many years now, I'm thinking more than 5, maybe more like 10 years, and it's still in good shape. I'm wearing it today actually.

This year I intended to replace it, just because I wanted something fresh, and got an Outback Trading Co oilskin jacket. I thought it would be suitable for the same temp range, but I was off and it made me sweat, but it's perfect when it's below 40. So I'm still wearing the Columbia whenever it's cool but not really cold out.

lugueto

Adventurer
I use their warm weather clothing, specially their PFG fishing clothing very frequently (I'm a fisherman myself). I mostly use their Omni Shade products, and a few Omni Dry products. Their fishing pants and shirts are awesome, although their fit is too large for me -I usually wear a size Medium shirt (sometimes even a size Large T shirt), whereas I need size S shirts from Columbia to fit properly.

I also have a set of cold weather gear, specifically snow jacket and pant combo. They've worked well the few times I've used them, but living in a tropical climate means they rarely get used.

I have no personal preference for when it comes to travel or adventure clothing, I've used Exofficio, Under Armour, Mountain Khakis, Carhartt and other in the past with good results, but Columbia is what I own/use most by far. Mainly because they're cheaper than most others, they perform very well and last forever.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I use their warm weather clothing, specially their PFG fishing clothing very frequently (I'm a fisherman myself). I mostly use their Omni Shade products, and a few Omni Dry products. Their fishing pants and shirts are awesome, although their fit is too large for me -I usually wear a size Medium shirt (sometimes even a size Large T shirt), whereas I need size S shirts from Columbia to fit properly.

I also have a set of cold weather gear, specifically snow jacket and pant combo. They've worked well the few times I've used them, but living in a tropical climate means they rarely get used.

I have no personal preference for when it comes to travel or adventure clothing, I've used Exofficio, Under Armour, Mountain Khakis, Carhartt and other in the past with good results, but Columbia is what I own/use most by far. Mainly because they're cheaper than most others, they perform very well and last forever.

I also use some of their PFG gear and have been happy so far, have numerous pairs of Columbia hiking pants and shorts as well.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Columbia has definitely benefitted from their take over of Mountain Hardware, and I might say that MTHW has not benefitted as much due to the merger. Columbia has always been price point apparel and value based. While I don't think any of it is exceptional in any way, it works and doesn't fetch absurd prices.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I've been very happy with my Columbia stuff. I have an Omniheat down "puffy" that's great. I also have a number of their wicking shirts, which are great for travel. I just bought two of my first fleeces from them too, and really enjoy them. The only thing I am not 100% sold on is the Mountain Hardware ski gloves. They're pricey buggers and aren't as warm as I was hoping.

Oh yeah, I also have a Mountain Hardware sleeping bag that I love.

I may or may not be on the list at the employee store here in Portland, too. :D

kojackJKU

Ha ha....awesome. I have the Columbia Omni heat gloves. AWESOME WARM. Now I know who to contact about getting some more Columbia stuff! Not a lot of stores here...so a lot of the stuff is not available round here.

Healeyjet

Explorer
One thing we liked about Columbia was how they stood behind their products. If we had a Columbia winter coat, which we had lots over the years, if the zipper broke or there was some other warranty claim you could just take it back to a store and they would send it away and have it repaired. Our winter coats lasted through two boys and probably a couple cousins as well. You didn't need to be the original owner or purchaser of the coat and it would still be repaired.
We have always loved Columbia products.
Ward

kojackJKU

Columbia has definitely benefitted from their take over of Mountain Hardware, and I might say that MTHW has not benefitted as much due to the merger. Columbia has always been price point apparel and value based. While I don't think any of it is exceptional in any way, it works and doesn't fetch absurd prices.

The way I look at it, for the same costs, theres NOT a lot of clothing that's better. I will use my down parka for example. I paid 119.00 On sale at the local sportchek, last winter for it. I have worn it most every cold day for the past two years. I washed it last week and it looks and feels new again. The only thing is the "fur" on the hood sort of went wonky when it was dried. I also own a Snow Goose/Canada Goose expedition parka. The fur is real coyote fur. I love it. However, my Columbia is 90 percent as warm as the C.G. parka, in a lighter weight, less bulky coat. Cost of the Canada goose, 899 in 1995. Now, its still like new but it needs to be "fluffed". It has a cold spot in its arms around the inner elbow joint.

So, for the price point, Columbia is down right awesome. I cannot wait to get a new Columbia down 550 parka for next winter....just because! at 239 dollars Canadian...its a no brainer!

Rando

Explorer
Many years ago I had a few Columbia items that were pretty good (some pants and fleece jacket) however it seems that of late they have shifted far more to the value end of the spectrum as opposed to the quality end. I had a water proof/breathable shell out of their "Omni-Tech" and was quite disappointed with the breathability of the fabric. I guess I see them as the clothing equivalent of Coleman - it it cheap, and it works OK as long as you don't expect too much.

Rando

Explorer
Maybe "less breathable" would be a more accurate description. I also have/had Gore-tex, eVent and Patagonia house brand shells, all of which seemed to be more breathable than the Omni tech shell. That said, I am sure the others were more expensive than the Columbia shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles