Picking a vehicle what size

Ok so I'm trying to get into overlanding I want to know what vehicle to to pick I want to see as much as possible but my wants to be comfortable so what should I do I was thinking a lmtv conversion or a f550 with a box on the back like the turtle expedition vehicle also we are planing on traveling with 2 other people in there own trucks so what would be good convey vehicles as well thanks in advance

tarditi

Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Vehicle selection comes down to several factors:

1) What is your intended use
2) What is your budget
3) Where will you be traveling
4) What are you willing to put up with

There is no "perfect" overlanding vehicle - there are lots of great platforms, there are some that people make the best of what they have, there are some that look better than they perform, others perform better than they would appear to.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Ok so I'm trying to get into overlanding I want to know what vehicle to to pick I want to see as much as possible but my wants to be comfortable so what should I do I was thinking a lmtv conversion or a f550 with a box on the back like the turtle expedition vehicle also we are planing on traveling with 2 other people in there own trucks so what would be good convey vehicles as well thanks in advance

Tons of info on this topic on this forum and google, by utilizing the search function you can answer your questions about 95% of the time.

I have been looking

I keep seeing different things back and forth been doing a lot of research i want to be able to get to remote locations they dont have to be too remote and i also want to use it as a missions vehicle to third world countries but i could make another vehicle for that as that will come later mainly want a good vehicle that is capable not to big where it cant go places but big enough to have a bed shower sink and it had some good info i kinda want to here from people with the bigger rigs to see what there thoughts and experiences have been with big vehicles because i can drive a tractor trailer driving isnt the problems its the locations and where a vehicle can go thanks for your responses

if that is about me then your are mistaken these are real questions i have been looking and they all same some of the same stuff you want to have a Toyota or Mitsubishi and those are ok but i dont want to live in a roof tent or pay alot for a earth roamer

Maninga

Adventurer
Need some details

1) Traveling by yourself, with partner, or partner and kids?
2) How long do you normally go for? Days/weeks/months/years?
3) Level of comfort. I went from a roof top tent to custom 4x4 motorhome for comfortable bed, toilet and shower. What do you need?
4) Budget?
5) US or overseas travel?

Ok it would be me and my wife and I would say about 2 months at a time I personally wouldn't mind the roof top tent but my wife wants something solid so something like a camper which I would build myself want to spend about 15000 for base vehicle and everything else I'll buy piece by piece so no buget really after I get the vehicle and first we plan to travel the Americas then once we get some experience we will head overseas right now I'm leaning toward the turtle v cam per I seen that seemed really capable for the size or something like a surplus lmtv or 5 ton because those would be me alot of space but I know those are big and I don't know how big of a problem being big is so thanks for your reply maninga

Maninga

Adventurer
You might be better off looking for a used Tiger/Sportsmobile/Four Wheel Camper to get started with, figure out what works, what doesn't, build based on what you actually need rather than think you need.

Going straight to an LMTV I think is a huge step and quite surprising how fast it adds up, both in time and money. Ie. I expected to spend around 60k at first on my truck/camper (Fuso 4x4, 14' camper, all diesel appliances, custom design), I'm looking at over twice that by the time it's finished. Wouldn't have been a lot of savings if we went for a cheaper truck, most of it went into making it civilized for us and comfortable living. But we're planning living in it for 2 years and spent a month living out of a similar sized tent while traveling.

justcuz

Explorer
Have you looked at 4wd vans? There are some pretty nice ones on the forum and a van is very roomy inside and not so big to restrict your travel outside. You can keep most of your possessions locked inside and out of sight. If I was planning any extended trips of more than a couple weeks, I would seriously consider a van myself.

I've looked for 4x4 vans but haven't found any used near me I liked the sportsmobile but too much for me I want to do it piece by piece not one big lump sum I have looked at f250 or similar models all the way up to the f550 would a f150 be able to take the weight if I took the bed off and build a camper back ? The reason I liked the lmtv is because it is bigger so more space and it rides tall so you can cross deeper water crossings how much is it to convert a van to 4x4 rough guess?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94