Roof rack finish

So I just got my roof rack in, and it's unfinished. I was going to get it powder coated, but I work to much and can't get to powder coat place while they are open during the week. They are not open during the weekends. How durable do you think spray paint will be? Any other finishes I can use?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
In my opinion, powder coat is no better than a GOOD paint job. Powder coat came into being primarily because of the restrictions on paint solvents, especially in places like So Cal. If you can get your hands on some good quality paint from some source, and if you have spray equipment, it should be fine. Good prep is the key to a good finish. Besides, even with powder coat, you'll be reshooting it in a few years with paint.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Decent prep and rattle can paint will get you what you need, but you'll be retouching regularly. Brush-on Rustoleum or similar are much, much more durable.

anickode

Adventurer
Truck bed liner? No matter what you do, proper prep is critical, and a good primer appropriate for the material will go a long way for keeping the paint from chipping off. I really like the look of truck bed liner for stuff like that.

HotNotch

On the first one I built, I had problems getting rattle can to stick and hold up well, even with self etching primer and multiple coats. The one I'm building now is getting powdercoated. It'll be the same finish that is on my bumpers and it has held up incredibly well. But its a textured/hammered powdercoat so that may be why.

M35A2

Tinkerer
Powder coat is useless on something that will get scratched and chipped.

You want paint.

The most durable I have found is (wait for it) black semi-gloss latex house paint. A quart will last years. Once cured (dries to the touch quickly but completely cures over a few days) you can hit it with a hammer or scrub it with a wire brush with no untoward effect. And it is easy to touch up or renew.

This suggestion seems so counter-intuitive because, well, house paint. Try it.

You can apply with a brush, foam roller or an airless sprayer.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I agree with M35A2 on the powder coat, can't comment either way on the house paint.

Good prep work is key like many have said. I personally would do truck bed coating.

mudbutt

Explorer
Ace hardware sells wrinkle finish spray paint. Sorry I can't remember what brand it was tho... It's what I used on my roof rack 6 years ago, and it's held better than I expected. No rust anywhere...

4xdog

Explorer
I've had decent results with rattle-can "implement paint" from the tractor store. As noted, good preparation is *everything*. Those implement paints have a much longer drying time, too -- think weeks before putting the work into service.

Having spent most of my professional life in coatings research of one type or another, I can't go along with the latex house paint recommendation as the most durable finish. Glad it works for you though, M35A2.

drewactual

Adventurer
interlux outdrive paint w/ flattening agent...

made for marine applications so you'll have to get it from a marine supply shop like westmarine, ect...

the stuff is steel when it cures... it's been on my outdrive now for over 10 years and until i attacked it purposely with a wire wheel recently, it never showed a bit of wear, and this is in a submerged salt environment and sitting on a trailer in the sun of coastal south.

get it in a spray can, and get a couple cans extra for touch ups down the road- which will be far down the road... :)

ExploringNH

Explorer
I've had great luck with Rustoleum Hammered Finish spray paint. The key is great prep work and the right conditions for painting/drying/curing. You need to make sure that the rack is absolutely clean and free of any oils. Use a good primer and follow all the directions. The Hammered finish paint takes a long time to fully harden. Mine took a couple of weeks even in the summer. Once it did fully sure, it was awesome. I had it on the roll bar of my Defender and it was used as a step almost daily to get onto the roof. It held up great. Far better than I expected. Since then I've used it for various things. It's always done well, as long as proper prep was done first. That's the most important part. The good thing about spray paint is that if it does chip later, you can sand out the spot and touch it up easily. Once powder coat starts to go, it's all over.

There are definitely more industrial and expensive coatings that could be applied, but let's face it, cost is a factor. This is cheap and works very well. If you have the budget, I would look into some more industrial coatings.

81QjiMA2v-L._SY355_.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
seconding the importance of proper prep and primer. seconding hammer finish. but also epoxy / appliance paint is very durable if done right.

I'm soon to try an extreme test, a plywood cargo rack deck, painted black, probably with a premium external house paint. Or maybe brushed hammered finish. Haven't decided.

MandAtaco

Observer
Hammer finish is great for this kind of stuff. Its what I used on my rack so it's easy to touch up. Just a side note, the Black color is more of a charcoal color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94