Any surfers? I need advice

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I am looking for a used surfboard just to play around on....

For sale - Longboard surfboard 7'8" New condition bic hard plastic finish - $150

I want something my 14yo daughter (110 pounds?) can ride the small stuff - she did a surf lesson and they were on a big soft top and she popped right up with instructors pushing her, I would do the same I am sure.

And I want to be able to use it for me (215 pounds) - I have surfed a couple of times over the last 3 decades, but last time was in Hawaii and I was able to ride right away on a long board.

I have read real surfers hate the Bic, but all said it does what I want.... it's cheap, and very durable - that is important since it would ride to FL (6 hours) and the Core Banks (5 hours) to be used.

Thanks

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
"I have read real surfers hate the Bic, but all said it does what I want.... it's cheap, and very durable"

I think you answered your own question :). I have a wide variety of surfboards, but for those days when it's too small, I have a big and heavy NSP that catches everything. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you're having fun and catching waves.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Do you have experience on the Bic? or seen it? I am 4 hours from the ocean, and it would get used 4-5 times max a year, but where we go, there are not surf shops to rent from.... in your experience would this board be OK for both of the described users?

"I have read real surfers hate the Bic, but all said it does what I want.... it's cheap, and very durable"

I think you answered your own question :). I have a wide variety of surfboards, but for those days when it's too small, I have a big and heavy NSP that catches everything. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you're having fun and catching waves.

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
Do you have experience on the Bic? or seen it? I am 4 hours from the ocean, and it would get used 4-5 times max a year, but where we go, there are not surf shops to rent from.... in your experience would this board be OK for both of the described users?

Did you mean to post a link to the sale page? I haven't ridden a Bic, but I would consider them in the same category as NSPs. It'll be perfect for your daughter, but you might want to go with something a little longer.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
I rented a Bic board on an Outer Banks vacation twenty years ago and it caught waves pretty well. It was a "fun" shape and 7'8" sounds about right based on my memory. I can't comment much about riding performance since it was only knee to waist high.
The Bic would be fine for your daughter but at 215 pounds and of advanced age for a beginning surfer I'd recommend starting with a ten foot board. You'll catch way more waves and have more fun. Unfortunately a ten foot board is harder to find and can be tough to transport and store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste