The Raven's Escape and Evade Neverending Wanderbout

• Thread starter Deleted member 141581
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 141581

Hello everyone. First post here

Intro:
My Wife, two cairn terriers, and I are planning on packing it up and taking off to explore North America starting in April 2016. For the past decade we have been savings, paying off debt and in the past 6 months all things have fell into place allowing us to pack up and take off. Our goal is to travel to all the cool wild places we can in the US, Canada and possibly even Mexico. We have no end date.

Who we are:
Autumn is a well known fantasy Author (Autumn Birt) and I, Adam, am a pretty good photographer and outdoor professional (Maine Guide, WFR etc) Our Dogs Nemo and Ayashe are Cairn Terriers. Ayashe even has his own FB Page, Ayashe, Great Cairn of the North. We are traveling now as we have realized that there will always be an excuse NOT to go, but in reality we only have about 70 years and half of ours are spent. We are also doing this for our dogs. Having lost a great one a few years ago we realized that thier lives are too damn short and they love adventure, for that reason alone we HAVE to do this....... If you have a chance check out the clip "Denali" on Vimeo
Our rig (s)
We have a Jeep LJ Unlimited Rubicon with a Tepui RTT on a Gobi rack. While a Landcruiser would be great....quite frankly it's what we got and it's paid off. It's a very capable vehicle and any and all upgrades have been carefully thought out. In fact the biggest upgrade it has is an OME HD suspension which resulted in an unintended 1" lift. We will be installing an ARB front bumper for crash insurance. Upgraded rear hinges for the planned fuel tank upgrade and the interior has some cool pennytech upgrades. The tire size are stock with KO2 mounted. All Ujoints when necessary have been replaced with spicer and generally if anything breaks, or wears out...it gets upgraded with better quality parts. I'm less concerned about crawling than I am about reliability and functionality.

I say Rigs because as time is no issue, we also have an F650gs and a KLR650 which we hope to do some more exploring in the Canadian North. In addition to the two wheels, we also have a Ural Gearup which is sort of in limbo as the room would be touchy having the two dogs and wife. :) We may trailer the Ural...but it sort of defeats the basic premise of avoiding complication.

How do we do it?
Aside from saving for the past 10 years, I think the thing that is letting us do it is the reality that we have in income stream for the road. While no where near as much as we have with the 9-5...it'll be enough for fuel, insurance and food. We also hope to pick up gigs along the way via workaway, workamping, and/or any other on-the-road ways of making money

So...we are all ears and hope to update this post in the future to allow you to see our online presence etc etc!!

D

Deleted member 141581

The Rubicon this winter...happy to never have to use it in this work again!!

Will post photo once the admins approve my profile :(

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Good for you! Over the past two years I've been on the road for a good portion of that with my dog, Petey. I don't regret chucking everything and going one bit. It has been awesome and I'm surprised at the number of people I've met out on the road doing the same thing. Have fun.

Oh yea, go to Baja next winter and spend a few months down there. You won't regret it!

mezmochill

Is outside
If your going to Western Canada, the BC Rockies are endless. If you can, hit the UP of Michigan on the way out if coming from Maine.

Huron/superior area awesome.

Maritimes?

The Raven

Been a while since posting. Ended up getting a FZJ80 and have been fixing it up. Spent a good amount of the summer in Labrador and Newfoundland in the Jeep though as I hate the heat :)
_DSC1595-M.jpg

More shots
https://ravengallery.smugmug.com/Labrador-and-Newfoundland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles