LC100 Deluxe ARB bumper on a 1st Gen Tundra?

I'm in the process of selling my '03 AC and purchasing an '06 DC that comes with a butt-ugly Iron Bull bumper on it. It needs something more refined.
So I'm exploring the idea of using an ARB deluxe bull bar off of a 100 series Land Cruiser, partially because of the availability of the ARB bumpers and partly because I like the look of them-

I've heard that it's been done before, but I haven't been able to turn up any photos of it, let alone any write-ups. Sounds like the mounting brackets need to be altered, but at this point, that's hearsay.

Can anybody add to this?

You are correct- ARB does make the Sahara bar for the Tundra, but they're not the prettiest.
It would be an improvement over the Iron Bull, but they really sacrifice approach clearances.

PS- I've been following your 100 Series build as we have a '98 parked in the driveway next to the Tundra. Keep up the great work!

Benc

Explorer
I build bumper for both the 100 series and tundra. The frame width is about 2" wider on the tundra and the frame its self is wider as well, the body on the tundra sits 2" higher off the frame as well. It can be done but the internals of the bumper will need reworked and brackets rebuilt to fit the tundra frame, after all that work you still end up with a bumper that looks like it was installed on the wrong vehicle as the body lines and profile is quite a bit different between the two.
Hope that helps.

Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the picture I'd seen before, I just didn't have a source for it. But, I was able to track down a bit of info.

This thread here has a little info, but most of the pictures. The thread is huntsonora's 2006 truck. Most of his pictures have lost their host, but there's still some good info. Looks like the bumper mounts up pretty well from the photos there, I wouldn't guess it was for a different application.

The other thread is this one, CTapia's 05 Tundra. Looks like that was his truck in the other thread. I'm not sure how active he is on here any longer, his thread has been quiet for awhile.

Benc

Explorer
Like I said, I have built bumpers for both and my tundra bumper is based off my 100 series bumper, there are enough differences to not look right IMHO, when most were doing this mod it was because there was not the after market support for the tundra or they got a good price on a 100 series bumper. Even in those pics you can see the gaps and the bumper doesn't even match up with the fenders, it looks even worse in person. If you have the ability to build the new brackets why not build the whole bumper to your likings? The brackets are the most difficult and one of the most important parts of the bumper, if you can tackle this you should be able to tackle a complete build.
I'm not tying to sound like a know it all, I just would hate to see you spend all that time and money and not be satisfied with the outcome. I think you would be much happier if you went with something that was designed for your vehicle.

Good luck and update us on what you end up with.

Ben.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier