2014 Chevy 1500 AWD - Family Road-Camp-Havoc-Mobile

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
We special ordered this van a couple years ago about a month before they stopped making them. 100% stock until a few weeks ago except for a fuel door locking cover.

We just added the Traxda torsion key/spacer block lift, with Bilstein shocks front/rear. Drove that for a few weeks on the stock alloy wheels and tires.

today we put some Toyo M55 tires on using factory steel wheels. They are only slightly larger then stock tires. Stock was 245/70-R17 , Toyo M55: 245/75-R17.

I wanted to stay at or near stock tire size with the AWD system probably not being the most robust. Plus I don't NEED anything much larger.

Future Plans:

Odyssey PC1500 dual battery system. I have the National Luna isolater and monitor. I am just deciding on which dual battery tray to purchase and MODIFY to replace the original single battery tray and hopefully fit 2-batteries in the same stock location. I originally figured I would remote mount the second battery, but there looks to be plenty of room to squeeze both batteries in. If they can do it in a jeep JK, I can find a way here. haha.

Main use for the dual batteries is for the large ARB fridge we have.

Still not sure if I am going to re-do all the seating or not. For now, I plan to leave the 2-stock triple rear seats, and build a landing in the rear section. we have 5-people to seat and always lots of stuff. The stock seats are PURE garbage though. No headrests or arm rests.

Attachments

• IMG_3881.jpg
    IMG_3881.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3896.jpg
    IMG_3896.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 194
We special ordered this van a couple years ago about a month before they stopped making them. 100% stock until a few weeks ago except for a fuel door locking cover.

We just added the Traxda torsion key/spacer block lift, with Bilstein shocks front/rear. Drove that for a few weeks on the stock alloy wheels and tires.

today we put some Toyo M55 tires on using factory steel wheels. They are only slightly larger then stock tires. Stock was 245/70-R17 , Toyo M55: 245/75-R17.

I wanted to stay at or near stock tire size with the AWD system probably not being the most robust. Plus I don't NEED anything much larger.

Future Plans:

Odyssey PC1500 dual battery system. I have the National Luna isolater and monitor. I am just deciding on which dual battery tray to purchase and MODIFY to replace the original single battery tray and hopefully fit 2-batteries in the same stock location. I originally figured I would remote mount the second battery, but there looks to be plenty of room to squeeze both batteries in. If they can do it in a jeep JK, I can find a way here. haha.

Main use for the dual batteries is for the large ARB fridge we have.

Still not sure if I am going to re-do all the seating or not. For now, I plan to leave the 2-stock triple rear seats, and build a landing in the rear section. we have 5-people to seat and always lots of stuff. The stock seats are PURE garbage though. No headrests or arm rests.
Super interested in this build. It sounds very similar to the one I want to embark on. Can't wait to see more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
we also installed a Curt Mfg. 2" rear receiver. We had the wiring harness from the factory but not the hitch. It fit perfect, and went on easy.

Attachments

• IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    590.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4369.jpg
    IMG_4369.jpg
    566 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4359.jpg
    IMG_4359.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_4367.jpg
    IMG_4367.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 150

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Just remembered, Ordered a rear sway bar. Post a follow up after I receive and install it.

Attachments

• IMG_4361.jpg
    IMG_4361.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4374.jpg
    IMG_4374.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_4365.jpg
    IMG_4365.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 182

45Kevin

Adventurer
Do you have before and after measurements of your lift?

I have 2007 and will be starting a build thread soon. I have a Rough Country lift kit but will be using 1998 2500 Suburban rear leaf springs instead of the blocks that came with the kit.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Do you have before and after measurements of your lift?

I have 2007 and will be starting a build thread soon. I have a Rough Country lift kit but will be using 1998 2500 Suburban rear leaf springs instead of the blocks that came with the kit.

No, I did not take any good measurements.

I also plan to eventually do the 2500 spring packs others on here have done.

I am going to run this set up until this time next year before I upgrade the springs, just to make sure this isn't already good enough.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Rear Sway Bar

Received the Rear sway bar. Appears to be Hellwig, with custom end links for the 1500 AWD. Made by Boulder 4x4 Vans. Looks like a nice kit. Requires 2-holes to be drilled on each side of the lower chassis to install the end link brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpg
    IMG_4416.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4415.jpg
    IMG_4415.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 108

86cj

Explorer
Glad to see another AWD van on here, don't see many cool blue vans.

Thanks for posting the rear sway bar info, can't wait to hear how it well works. I think the factory felt it was not needed due to the bumpstops touching so much as part of their design, and acting like a sway bar. When we lifted our vans off the bump stops front and rear we gained some wheel travel along with a very slight sway, I noticed it when stock before the lift and really light (no interior) it went away loaded then and now.
The 2900lb HD 3/4 ton Sub rear springs help the lightly loaded issue, a rear sway bar could still help get rid of it and have perfectly balanced Van loaded and empty. The Hummer H-3 guys complained about a slight sway when the front was lifted off the bumpstops when cranking the torsion bars, Trail Duty has some longer front bumpstops for the issue, they might fit our vans. I bought some new stock Z-71 front bumpstops for my van but have not installed them yet, I am not sure if they are longer or harder or will feel better but they were cheap. I bought them when ordering new front upper shock bushings at the dealer they work better than the ones that came with the front Bilstien's. The 3/4 and 1 ton vans use a bigger front sway bar but I have not looked at one to see if it will fit our suspension design, anybody else?

https://www.trailduty.com/product_info.php?products_id=764

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
I do agree, there is now, and even when stock, NOT a TON of Body roll like one might imagine. So, I am not expecting a dramatic improvement.

weather is looking clear this weekend for some pleasant install time.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
front mud flaps

I bought a front and rear set of GM factory splash guards back when we got the van.

I only installed the rear ones because they installed with existing holes and easy plastic push rivets. Plus the rear wells have plenty of space.

The front ones required some holes to be drilled, plus I wasn't sure if they would conflict with the Toyos I knew I wanted.

Also, 3 of the 4 holes to drill go into a plastic/fiber portion of the body that I originally thought was metal, so that was a relief. I avoid drilling factory metal if I can help it. The only metal that got drilled was a 1/16" hole through the inner fender well. I believe some people cut this entire section out for clearance with wider tires anyway. I painted the section that got drilled before the screw was installed.

These guards are slightly long when the van had no lift, but are good now.

Attachments

• IMG_4465.jpg
    IMG_4465.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4466.jpg
    IMG_4466.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4467.jpg
    IMG_4467.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 101

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Got some roof racks.

The only thing they would most likely be used for will be surfboards AND to mount an awning.

We have a Fiamma 10' x 8' awning. I just got the stock basic wall mounting kit that comes with it without paying extra.

I had hoped to mount the awning all by itself, But The actual van mounting kits all require drilling into the body (I avoid drilling holes in the body of my vehicles whenever possible). And I don't like the yakima rack bar mount type kit they have.

I plan to chop down the tall sides off these racks to stay out of harms way for fragile surfboards, but maybe keep the passenger side slightly high depending on how I custom mount the Fiamma awning onto the racks.

These racks were less than $60 shipped off ebay. they were about $100 on most websites. They "Bully" type. Most are white, but I found a couple for sale already black.

The mounting clip was yellow zinc, so I painted that part black satin.

I like how they came out on the lowest setting. Many of the roof racks out there sit pretty high.

Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_4983.jpg
    IMG_4983.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4982.jpg
    IMG_4982.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4997.jpg
    IMG_4997.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Accrete

Explorer
...NOT a TON of Body roll like one might imagine...
Greetings and welcome to the AWD clan : )
As others have said, thanks for the nice write up on the rear stabilizer and shock mods. That is on my list of to do's on ours, just cuz I gotta have something to do right?

In context of awnings... I will say that we saw a big difference after removing the F45 (same size you noted) off the upper fiberglass roof. It is a revelation as to the amount of sway an extra ~80lbs (specs from the Fiamma site) up that high can add into the mix when cornering these rigs.

Hope you have some great adventures!
Thom

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
Did a Dual Battery Mock-up.

I bought a tray intended for a jeep, and cut of some of the obtrusive parts, and panted it.

I just set it on top of the existing battery stage. In the one picture you can barely see the bolt going through the dual tray is the bolt used to hold down the single stock battery.

Based on all measurements, there appears to be NO obstructions to be able to fit 2 batteries.

It may be possible to mount the dual tray to the existing platform, and then make a bracket for the side, and a bracket to tie to the front of frame.

Otherwise, I may still just remote mount the second battery.

Attachments

• IMG_4748.jpg
    IMG_4748.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4746.jpg
    IMG_4746.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4747.jpg
    IMG_4747.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 154

Forum statistics

Threads