Photography tips for beginners

Eric K

Observer
1. start slow. jumping to full manual will probably just frustrate a beginner. I say shoot on full auto and work on framing the picture and what angle you want it from. then move to aperture priority, then move to full auto. All your pictures might not be as good as they could be during that time, but you won't burn out either.

2. Filters: polarizer, graduated neutral density filter (use this to keep from burning out the big white fluffy clouds when you want some details in the land)

3. RTFM (Read the ********** Manual). I can't stress this enough. Learn how your camera works, how to change the autofocus settings, the exposure settings...pretty much everything on your camera. It's long and boring, but read it.

donaldj

Observer
Ignore 99% of "You need to buy..." suggestions.

Look at hundreds and thousands of professionally taken photos and figure out WHY you find them compelling. Subject matter, composition, etc. Determine WHY the photographer used that method as opposed to others.

True story 1: A lady I know wanted to know what camera to buy "to take really good pictures". She then showed me horrible photos of her current camera, a semi-decent DSLR. She went on to say she tries really hard to get the person's face right in the middle square, and the photos come out boring. Now, the photos were fine, technically, meaning all the pixels and everything else were properly exposing and rendering this craptastic image. But somehow it was the camera's fault. I then had to go into Composition 101 to get her to understand that you don't put a face dead center with a person against a blank wall and expect some high adventure action shot out of it....

True story 2: I was working part time as a photojournalist but am an engineer by day. We had a guy working in a lab that specializes in getting good photos of various product abnormalities for failure investigation. This guy knew every spec for every camera out there. When he would spy me in the cafeteria, he's try to diminish my activities by spouting off lots of camera details. I patiently told him "I don't know about a lot of the stats on various cameras. I know what mine does, and I use it to take pictures when hiking, backpacking, and for my part time job." Well, I didn't give him the 'victory' he seemed to need, so he came in the next week with some absolutely awful images, and some of mine off the web, to compare. After about 10 minutes of explaining why his shots were superior (everyone was looking at mine), I had had enough and said "Because you had to explain that your shot as good means your shot was not good."

The purpose of this is NOT to be arrogant, even though I admit I'm a bit of an ***. The purpose is to invest in your SKILL and not in some magical gear.

1. Look at hundreds and thousands of images. What do you like? What don't you? If you were 'compelled' by it, why?
  2. Invest in yourself first. Take a few intro classes at the community college.
  3. DO NOT join a 'camera club'. You will be beholden to their standards and not necessarily your own.
  4. Look at all forms of art as well as photos. Understand what compels people and evokes emotion. Understand you're going for a response, not just 'documentation'.

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Ignore 99% of "You need to buy..." suggestions.

Look at hundreds and thousands of professionally taken photos and figure out WHY you find them compelling. Subject matter, composition, etc. Determine WHY the photographer used that method as opposed to others.

True story 1: A lady I know wanted to know what camera to buy "to take really good pictures". She then showed me horrible photos of her current camera, a semi-decent DSLR. She went on to say she tries really hard to get the person's face right in the middle square, and the photos come out boring. Now, the photos were fine, technically, meaning all the pixels and everything else were properly exposing and rendering this craptastic image. But somehow it was the camera's fault. I then had to go into Composition 101 to get her to understand that you don't put a face dead center with a person against a blank wall and expect some high adventure action shot out of it....

True story 2: I was working part time as a photojournalist but am an engineer by day. We had a guy working in a lab that specializes in getting good photos of various product abnormalities for failure investigation. This guy knew every spec for every camera out there. When he would spy me in the cafeteria, he's try to diminish my activities by spouting off lots of camera details. I patiently told him "I don't know about a lot of the stats on various cameras. I know what mine does, and I use it to take pictures when hiking, backpacking, and for my part time job." Well, I didn't give him the 'victory' he seemed to need, so he came in the next week with some absolutely awful images, and some of mine off the web, to compare. After about 10 minutes of explaining why his shots were superior (everyone was looking at mine), I had had enough and said "Because you had to explain that your shot as good means your shot was not good."

The purpose of this is NOT to be arrogant, even though I admit I'm a bit of an ***. The purpose is to invest in your SKILL and not in some magical gear.

1. Look at hundreds and thousands of images. What do you like? What don't you? If you were 'compelled' by it, why?
  2. Invest in yourself first. Take a few intro classes at the community college.
  3. DO NOT join a 'camera club'. You will be beholden to their standards and not necessarily your own.
  4. Look at all forms of art as well as photos. Understand what compels people and evokes emotion. Understand you're going for a response, not just 'documentation'.

I agree with this 100%!! I go to the State Fair and will spend as much time looking at the submissions for the photo competition as the rest of the family does looking at everything else. And there are some really, really good pictures there. Don't try to figure out why some won awards; there's a lot of subjectivity there.

I'll add one more item to the list. Find someone who takes great photos and ask them to mentor you. So long as you're not competing with them professionally, they'll likely be more than happy to oblige.

Then go take pictures. Lots of them. Various angles, exposures, settings, etc. In my learning days we were limited to 36 shots per roll, then you had to develop them, then you had to pick out which ones were enlarged, etc. With today's tech there's no excuse not to be taking a ga-gillion pix to get practice. Your only investment after the camera is the time to go do it.

Download the pix to a laptop / tablet and get your mentor to look at them. Go in with an open mind and don't be defensive.

Last edited:

Kerensky97

Xterra101
All good tips but many of these seem more than "beginner" tips, good for people with nice DSLRs. But what about people using their cellphones on the trail because their first hobby is 4WD and they just want a good pic of their campsite for the to put online?

The two things I'd say to focus on most are image composition, and good exposure.

1. Learn the what the "rules of thirds" and use it. It doesn't work in every situation but unless you have a decade of photography experience it will probably be the best option. And it's 1000 times better than taking picture the same way you "head-shot" enemies in video games. You're not a sniper, you're trying to take the "feeling" of the scene before you and cram it inside a little rectangle.

2. Try to compose an interesting foreground, mid-ground, and background subject in your picture. Move up and down, side to side until you can setup the picture to have layers of interest. It's amazing what a little bush hanging on the edge of a cliff adds to the view from the overlook.

3. Try to avoid blown out highlights like the plague. Better to have deep black foreboding canyons than a radioactive glowing white sky. If your smartphone has an HDR mode use it to get the dark canyons and the sunny sky. Smartphone HDR is pretty mild and just increases your exposure range. More advanced cameras and post processing can HDR to ridiculous levels, avoid that as much as the blow out skies.

4. If you can, try to take pictures with the sun over your shoulder. Imagine the sun is a tall guy standing a few steps to the left or right of you looking down at a 45 degree angle or less. The shadows are much nice than if the sun is directly overhead or directly behind you.

5. For every interesting photo op you see take 3 pictures. One normal as it caught your eye. One with a different or interesting perspective. One that is "artsy/weird" and over the top. Then when you get home choose the one you like most and DELETE the other 2.

kpredator

Adventurer
ok my 2c

first. have a camera with you.we keep a point and shoot in each vehicle.its funny how many good images we have gotten by just being somewhat prepared.
some of our best images have been while on the way to work.
I leave my dslr and 200-400 in the house and use it on trips ,photography drives.

use your camera year round.i find if I don't use it often I start loosing my familiarity with my camera.

realize to take good images and it takes time and effort.

its not the camera but YOU

have fun
kp

haven

Expedition Leader
It seems to me that someone new to photography is unlikely to have a DSLR, or even a point and shoot camera. Face it: these days, a beginner to photography will be using a cell phone camera.

My advice: Join a photography club. Almost all welcome beginners. Many have a cell phone subgroup. Most have opportunities to see how different types of gear work in different environments. Some have loaner equipment. If you don't feel welcome, then look for another club in your area.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I have only been at it with a DSLR since 2012 but I was told I did quite well learning. I was lucky enough to have a few pro friends I could ask questions. A couple I was able to go out shooting with. It has since turned and I am getting asked questions from others now (I must be doing something right!). It may sound dumb but when I find something I want to know more about, I turn to youtube. It has helped me with taking portrait photos when I was repeatedly bugged to do it (not my forte but I pulled it off!). Other times for just figuring out what some setting may do. Many times for getting better with Lightroom.

Not sure if they were mentioned but a lens protector can save you from having to buy a new Tokina wide angle when you accidently hit it . . .

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Not sure if they were mentioned but a lens protector can save you from having to buy a new Tokina wide angle when you accidently hit it . . .

Along that same thought, if you tend to keep your lens cap off, for whatever reason, a light neutral-density or "daylight" filter affords some good protection, too. In fact, a lot of photographers keep an ND filter on because they're easier to clean and if scratched, a whole lot cheaper to replace!

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I agree with this 100%!! I go to the State Fair and will spend as much time looking at the submissions for the photo competition as the rest of the family does looking at everything else. And there are some really, really good pictures there. Don't try to figure out why some won awards; there's a lot of subjectivity there.

I'll add one more item to the list. Find someone who takes great photos and ask them to mentor you. So long as you're not competing with them professionally, they'll likely be more than happy to oblige.

Then go take pictures. Lots of them. Various angles, exposures, settings, etc. In my learning days we were limited to 36 shots per roll, then you had to develop them, then you had to pick out which ones were enlarged, etc. With today's tech there's no excuse not to be taking a ga-gillion pix to get practice. Your only investment after the camera is the time to go do it.

Download the pix to a laptop / tablet and get your mentor to look at them. Go in with an open mind and don't be defensive.

I agree with what you posted here, especially the "Find someone who takes great photos" part. The best thing I did was hit up a friend who is a pro for feedback. He taught me a lot, but nothing more important than "Take a shot, then take three steps to the left and right and shoot another" and also "the difference between pros and amateurs is that we both shoot 100 pictures, I keep one, you keep 99."

CrimAvalanche

Photography, like any other profession, needs patience and hard work. We live in an age so advanced that we keep seeing new inventions every day. The photography world, too, is advancing day after day and one needs to keep ones self updated, otherwise one would be left behind. You say you're an amateur photographer, I say you're a Pre-Professional.

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
My best recent tip after traveling full time now for 7 months with a lot of great gear? Don't regret the photo opps you missed. Don't be shy, make that u-turn, slam on the brakes (after checking your rear view haha),

Go get the shot, don't be kicking yourself 5 seconds or 5 days later that you didn't take the time to stop and shoot :)

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My best recent tip after traveling full time now for 7 months with a lot of great gear? Don't regret the photo opps you missed. Don't be shy, make that u-turn, slam on the brakes (after checking your rear view haha),

Go get the shot, don't be kicking yourself 5 seconds or 5 days later that you didn't take the time to stop and shoot :)

I can second that! I have been scouting Michigan's Thumb region for some old abandoned houses to shoot. I made the mistake of blowing by a couple "I'll get them next time." One was a fine example and I have no idea where it was now!

Brewtus

Adventurer

Couldn't agree more. Last weekend I was travelling down the Oregon Coast and missed perhaps the greatest coastal sunset I've ever seen because I drove past the beach access road and thought, "no I don't want to turn around, I'll just go to the next one...." There wasn't a next one. :(

I might also add to that, go out on a trip for the sole purpose of photography. It's a lot easier to justify stopping on the trail for an hour if your goal is to film, rather than getting to a planned campsite.

And lastly two seemingly conflicting suggestions with respect to cinematography: Have visions for your signature shots. The greatest shots I've gotten have come because I had a score and sequence in my mind that I was searching for while on the trail. However, every shot doesn't have to be that master shot, and just because it's B-roll footage doesn't mean it's not just as important to your story telling. Your B-roll sets the tone and location and preps your audience for the master shot. Always be prepared to film your B-roll and look for those shots even when you're not in the most photogenic of places. Find the shot, it won't always present itself.

haven

Expedition Leader
One thing beginners don't always grasp is that pros often take *lots* of photos, and choose the ones they like the best afterwards. And then they manipulate the image post-production to achieve the final result.

Back in the day, I remember a pro reporting after a long weekend trip, "Great trip! I shot 100 rolls." (Standard length 35mm film = 36 exposures per roll.)

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
One thing beginners don't always grasp is that pros often take *lots* of photos, and choose the ones they like the best afterwards. And then they manipulate the image post-production to achieve the final result.

Back in the day, I remember a pro reporting after a long weekend trip, "Great trip! I shot 100 rolls." (Standard length 35mm film = 36 exposures per roll.)

I am far from a pro. I got my DSLR in 2011. I used to "spray and pray" back then. I figured out all I was doing was making more work for myself. I will take several of the same thing still but not to the degree I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles