'14 Silverado 1500 - Working Dog / Cross Country Cruiser Build

fiddypal

Adventurer
So.... don't beat me up on vehicle choice as i am new to trucks in general, but here is my build thread for a 2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with 5.8ft bed (wish the damn bed was bigger :( )

My main uses are driving my dog around with me, camping trips, and doing a cross country trip from MA to Cali across the norther part of the US then follow the southern part home.

Here are some pics of my current build progress.

I have removed the back seats and put in a carpeted subfloor made from 1/2" plywood with some supports underneath. Then i bought some hog panel from tractor supply and made a dog crate that fits behind my seat. On the other side of this, i will be installing a dometic fridge (CF50) and later an inverter.

I happened to have an empty battery tray in the engine bay of my truck so i got another group 48 battery from sears (die hard AGM) and and in the process of hooking that up to an isolator to charge when the truck is running, but not draw from my main battery when its off. This will power the fridge and anything else i decide to hookup in the cab. Sears markets this battery as "deep cycle" but i know its not a true deep cycle or the best battery for this application. It's got a 2 or 3 year warranty so not too worried about abusing it, i will just stop at a sears and pop a new one in along the way until i have money and time to design a better setup.

Using 0/1 gauge wire between the batteries, and running 4 gauge into the cab to power distribution blocks that have 4x 8 gauge terminals for me to add things.

Getting a cab height cap installed tomorrow (another thing i wish was bigger, but that damn short bed limits my cap options). Once this is on i can start building a bed and storage in the back bed. Already have a 2" gel infused memory foam mattress topper i plan to use back there with some teton sports sleeping pads underneath. My cap also has a roof rack on it so thinking about adding a solar panel up there and more batteries in the bed.

Attachments

• 20160303_124558_resized.jpg
    20160303_124558_resized.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160103_161651_resized.jpg
    20160103_161651_resized.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160108_195805_resized.jpg
    20160108_195805_resized.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160301_170902_resized.jpg
    20160301_170902_resized.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160303_124501_resized.jpg
    20160303_124501_resized.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20160303_124523_resized.jpg
    20160303_124523_resized.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20160303_124537_resized.jpg
    20160303_124537_resized.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160303_124605_resized.jpg
    20160303_124605_resized.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 54
  • 20160303_124624_resized.jpg
    20160303_124624_resized.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20160303_124635_resized.jpg
    20160303_124635_resized.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 53

fiddypal

Adventurer
Some more pics of parts and install progress

The small block plastic block is a custom 3d printed bracket for the dometic fridge to bolt it down in the truck. Also made some similar brackets to hold the dog cage down, i have since added a roof and am working on a door for the dog cage.

4F9waep.jpg

3VOWCcg.jpg

nUsGigL.jpg

J5eEyFs.jpg

mWIFHnM.jpg

eZ48IuX.jpg

xcMWS9g.jpg

Rc5VeQk.jpg

fiddypal

Adventurer
Here are the brackets holding down the crate and the door i was working on. Not sure if i am going to use this rigged up thing, or just create a whole new door panel with the crate bolted to that, i really just need to get the window covered to keep him boxed in (in the event of a crash).

8LWg0oa.jpg

2jqsKha.jpg

ovCNoOe.jpg

rkj__

Adventurer
I got a puppy at the start of the year. So far, I have not had her in my truck a whole lot. But, I can see myself maybe doing something for the back of my truck to contain her in the future. Where did you buy the carpet from?

fiddypal

Adventurer
Cheapest outdoor carpet they had at home depot in stock. The lady cutting it was not that great at math so i ended up getting 2-3xmore than what i paid for :)

Def. go for the hog panel over a store bought dog crate, they are a frigin rip off! The store bought ones usually run 100+ USD and are made of much thinner gauge metal. All you need is a dremel or grinder to cut the 16ft panel into sections, then some vice grips to bend the ends around each other, and you have a folding dog crate for about 25 USD.

L57

Thank you for sharing your Silverado build. I have a new 2015 Silverado with crew cab and trying to workout space for two Golden Retrievers (95 lbs and a pup who will out grow him). Planning on long-distance travel with them and your ideas are great. I have made a journey to Alaska/Yukon with two Goldens before but more room is needed for this new generation. Keep up the good work!

fiddypal

Adventurer
Thanks man! The entire back area would surely be enough for 2 full size goldens. My shepherd is still a pup and about 90lbs but getting close to full size I don't see him putting on much more weight. Going to start looking into fans and what to put on top of the cage for hot days and a deep water bowl to hang on the inside corner of his cage area.

rkj__

Adventurer
Cheapest outdoor carpet they had at home depot in stock.

Oh, great idea, thanks. I know other people who have done similar products try and find "automotive carpet" but often have a hard time finding it, or find it too expensive. Outdoor carpet is just fine.

fiddypal

Adventurer
My thoughts exactly, plus I got lucky and it closely matches the truck carpet :)

Mine is just stapled down because inevitably the dog will ruin it and at that point I can just rip it off and staple a new sheet down. I was going to glue it to the backboard wall I carpeted too but got lazy and stapled that too since it looks the same and will hold up just fine.

Any suggestions for a car vaccuum? Or is it advisable to just use the ones at gas stations along the way of your journeym

fiddypal

Adventurer
I dont exactly have a ton of free time, i am getting married and that's our honeymoon :)

I still have not planned one leg of the trip, so open to any and all suggestions from seasoned travelers. We want to see Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. and a few other famous places. Need to do alot of hiking and whatnot to keep the dog active.

We just got back from EU and with all the **** going on over there with migrants and the cheap gas here in USA we were foolish not to explore our backyard while things were in our favor. I doubt we will ever see gas this cheap again unless its rendered obsolete by a new engery breakthrough which is highly unlikely. Pretty much all past vacations were tropical islands so we are sick of doing that, figured we would check all of USA off our list so we can focus on EU and the rest of the world later when things are hopefully more peaceful.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Any suggestions for a car vaccuum? Or is it advisable to just use the ones at gas stations along the way of your journeym

You'll probably be stopping by a car wash on occasion during your trip. Spend a few quarters in those vacuums so you aren't taking up space (and money) on a vacuum of your own that probably won't work as well.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Cap installed and looks great, you really have to look hard to tell the paint is not the same! Will upload Pics soon, then I might start my isolator install when I get home and will take more pics of the process.

fiddypal

Adventurer
20160312_183118.jpg
20160312_180504.jpg
20160312_180509.jpg

Can't even tell the color differece unless you look hard. Bed build starts soon! Got the 15amp auto reset fuse for the fridge and some 12 v 10awg quick connects.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Looking good! I'm really happy I ended up getting the 6.5' bed, although 5'8" would also be great. Sometimes I wish GM would pull a Dodge move and make a crew cab 8' bed half ton. Or even a double cab 8' bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne