Front Mud Flap Installation on 2016 G550

greynolds

Observer
I just installed front mud flaps that I purchased a few weeks ago from Four By Four Club on my 2016 G550 and was hoping someone can confirm that I installed them correctly (or not). They didn't come with any installation instructions and all they offer on the web site is that each side takes about 10 minutes to install and no drilling or modification is required (which suggests that it should be easy). I took a look underneath with the flap and included mounting clamp in hand and there was only 1 way that seemed obvious to install them. Here's a photo showing the driver's side flap installed:

FrontMudFlap.jpg

Here's a photo showing how I installed it from the underside. The clamp is holding the bar from the mud flap against a channel that is located on the inside side of the running boards:

FrontMudFlapMount.jpg

The mounting seems to be pretty solid and took less than 10 minutes, but I'm not sure if they're mounted quite right as they don't seem to be quite as tight to the running boards as the shot shows on the Four By Four Club website (though the angle of the photos is different):

W463249FlapsF3.jpg

I installed the rear mud flaps a few days ago (also purchased from Four By Four Club). That turned out to be a bit of a PITA because when I removed the bolts they're supposed to piggyback with, the rear bumper shifted, so I had to use a jack with a pad to force the bumper back up to get the holes lined up again. Otherwise, they were fairly easy to install.

ILIAN

Adventurer
They look quite short. As far as the angle you can bend the holding tab to match the angle on the end of the running boards and move them back about 1/2". That should get them pretty flush.

greynolds

Observer
They look quite short. As far as the angle you can bend the holding tab to match the angle on the end of the running boards and move them back about 1/2". That should get them pretty flush.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'll give bending the tabs a try. Based on the pictures Four By Four Club, they're supposed to be fairly short with the running boards, probably because they're intended to work with or without the running boards. I'm pretty sure I've got the clamps installed correctly - it's the only remotely obvious way to attach them.

Edit: How's your bumper project coming along? Sorry we weren't able to meet up while I still had the 2014.

Last edited:

greynolds

Observer
I just took one off and bent the tab. The fit is better, but they still don't integrate nicely with the running boards. I suspect these would fit/look fine without running boards, but they just don't look right with running boards, so I've removed both for now while I contemplate if there's another way to tweak the mounts so they will look better.

Canada G

Observer
if you dont use the running boards then you better use an other set of mudflaps (oem mercedes) they have them also at four by four. and it is a perfect fit.

greynolds

Observer
if you dont use the running boards then you better use an other set of mudflaps (oem mercedes) they have them also at four by four. and it is a perfect fit.
The flaps I bought claim they fit with and without the running boards. The other front mudflaps that they sell, sold individually for left and right, are listed for 1990-2000 models. In any event, I need to keep the running boards installed as some of my passengers can't get in and out without them, so if it comes down to mudflaps or running boards, the running boards win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94