Picked up a pop up trailer

AaronK

Explorer
1990 Starcraft. Not exactly an "expedition" trailer but it'll serve our needs well.
864d52cb848e63fe3e8e750f5d704468.jpg

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

AaronK

Explorer
I just got a chance to get into mine this weekend. Looking at suspension options. It is currently set up in an axle-over-spring configuration (leaf springs). Flipping it to a spring over axle configuration looks like it would raise the frame about 4″. I’ll have to look into wheel/tire options. Trailers are pretty new to me and I don’t know how big of a wheel I can get with the same bolt pattern. I’d like to avoid swapping hubs.

Interior is in pretty good shape. All the upholstery and cabinets are intact. Still working on figuring out all the wiring. Logically, you’d have a large gauge positive and negative at the battery box and everything on the trailer would be bussed off that. Apparently Starcraft didn’t think that way and all the different systems (lights, furnace, and fridge) all have their own leads to the battery with ring connectors. Near as I can tell, it’s the factory wiring. No biggie, just some of the quirks we’re working through.

Discovered that the battery rack on the tongue isn’t big enough for the Group 31 box I bought. That’ll be getting refabbed soon.

Here’s some pictures of it popped.
IMG_20160320_101958_zps9dy0utbj.jpg

IMG_20160320_102344_zps3qb2aum6.jpg

IMG_20160320_102351_zpsiobwxhf4.jpg

Our dog, Dax, has claimed her bed
IMG_20160319_195000_zpsqrrj9yok.jpg

Waygoner

Observer
We camped out of tent trailer for close to 10 years. Did the axle flip and put on some larger tires/wheels. Walmart has tires/wheels already mounted that you can bolt on and go. It worked well and handled some mildly rough trails with no problem.

AaronK

Explorer
That's my longer term plan. Gonna see how big of a tire/wheel I can get for the stock hole spacing.

DanCooper

Adventurer
May I suggest you look closely at the frame and consider strengthening it where appropriate? Also, make sure the material used in the frame is sufficiently strong to stand up to your intended use. I drug a similar trailer from Fairbanks to Tacoma in 1979 when there was still about 400 miles of gravel on the Alaska Highway. At the east end of Kluane Lake, I noticed the trailer was tilted. Upon inspection, the cross frame member to which the front spring shackles were welded had torn loose from the side frame members, allowing the axle to move to the rear about 4 inches, in turn letting the right tire scrape on the wheel well and lose its air. I was able to get it into Haines Junction and $1,000 of welding later, got the frame sturdy enough to continue the trip. You may also want to upgrade the axle and springs at sometime depending on where you want to use the trailer. Hopefully, the data plate on the trailer has info on the axle and springs, but if not, the manufacturer's website should have that information.

It's a lot less expensive to beef up the frame in your driveway/garage/shop than it is halfway between the middle and the edge of nowhere.

Best wishes for a lot of happy times in that trailer. I sure enjoyed mine . . .

AaronK

Explorer
Good ideas. Axle has already been swapped. Factory was a torsion bar setup. It now has leaves. Not sure how much the axle is rated for. I'll crawl under and look for a tag when the ground dries out.
I don't intend to take it on anything hardcore. Mild forest service at worst.

HOBBE$

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Purchased this 2004 Starcraft 10RT this Spring. Upgraded 12v system with dual 6v batteries wired in a series with a portable 80w, 15amp solar panel. Very pleased thus far!:safari-rig::smiley_drive:

Pictures are of our first trip May 20-22, 2016. Pike NF road 307 North side of Rampart Reservoir! Great view of Pikes Peak. Short hike to the reservoir! Nice trail around the lake!

Working on adding a 12v auxiliary outlet, usb and volt meter.

photo 2.jpgphoto 6.jpgphoto 1.jpg2004 Starcraft 10rt Interior.jpe6V Battery Tray 1.JPGBattery Tray 1.jpg2004 Starcraft 10rt M.jpgz4audc3.jpgSD532014.jpg

MtnRunner

Nice looking setup, makes me lean back towards just buying something like that instead of going through with my off road trailer build. Depending on what I can find locally, and for what price, I'm debating finding something similar or building an off road trailer in the off season. I have to weigh the personal satisfaction of building my own and durability vs the ease/quickness of purchasing something already done, all while keeping it affordable! Especially since it's something I'll realistically only use a few times a year.
The ongoing struggle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior