Showing off my Galaxy Tab 3 install

rayra

Expedition Leader
This is pretty much a land speed record for me, only 16 days from concept to completion. Usually it takes me months to get around to finishing such a thing. Another thanks to cyclic for sparking the ideas.

tabletbracket13_zpsdta0mgly.jpg
tabletbracket16_zps7hvawa6y.jpg

Mr welder

Is your galaxy tab 3 on a cellular network to have GPS signal or is it built in ? Thinking of a similar setup for my 91 K5. Thanks.

cyclic

Adventurer
It's a Sprint one I got in the pawn shop. No cell service active, uses built in GPS (and Wi-Fi) even with no cell service. Even without service it likes to have the Sprint "card" installed just to keep the tablet happy.
The GPS is totally separate from the phone signal so no issues there.
Just an FYI, my local Walmart has the Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch on sale for $104 stupid low price and is better than the Tab 3 in every way. If I wasn't doing rims and tires right now, I get one myself.

Mr welder

Awsome ! Thanks for the info, Amazon has the tab 4 for cheap also. Do you use a micro SD card to load your maps? I'm looking to try to do a portion of the Kentucky Adventure Tour listed in another thread here, the map is in a gpx file. Thanks for you help !

cyclic

Adventurer
Right now I'm using Navmii, and yes the map is on my memory card. You pick what maps to load in the software (from Navmii). You can also submit map info and changes online, so it does get up dated.
I have great internet and wifi at home so I can just access it in the driveway or bring it inside to do what ever I need.
I look at the navigation as a bonus, this is primarily destined to be my radio/entertainment system.

Mr welder

Had a day off today so stopped at Verizon where I have my cell service, they offer their own tablet which can be added to my plan for only $49. I would have access to map updates anywhere I have cell coverage. May go that route because it's only $49. Thanks again for your help and pics of your mount.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Is your galaxy tab 3 on a cellular network to have GPS signal or is it built in ? Thinking of a similar setup for my 91 K5. Thanks.

The Tab 3 has built-in GPS. No data connection necessary for outstanding navigation capabilities that will embarrass most any dedicated GPS for a fraction of the cost.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Yep, I'm getting 50' accuracy poking around town out of my Tab 3 Lite. It really is a good deal for an offline nav solution. Paid $80 for a refurb unit and everything else is free so far.

Also re memory storage, the Application Manager in Android Jelly Bean 4.4.2 will let you shunt around various apps between internal memory and external / added microSD. I got a 32Gb card for mine for $10 at Walmart the other day. Normal is only $13-16 anyway. So you can relocate apps to clear some space, if your free app or trialware demands internal space only. Backcountry Navigator does this. The paid verison will let you load up maps on the microSD, but you have to tweak some settings to get it to work.

Mr welder

Going to go with the galaxy tab 4, the Verizon tablet won't let you store apps and such on a sd card. It's more money but I only want to bug it once. Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions !

cyclic

Adventurer
So, still waiting for some misc parts to come in. But got most of the amplifier block done. It includes the Bluetooth receiver, the four channel Alpine ktp-445 amp, fues block and relay, and a powered USB hub which can put out up to 10 amps total.
It will be mounted on the transmission hump in front of the transfer case shifter.

IMAG07491_zpsafjsz2mo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior