Showing off my Galaxy Tab 3 install

cyclic

Adventurer
I drive an older 1988 Suburban, and am slowly upgrading systems and parts to modern stuff.

I picked up a Galaxy Tab 3 for cheap, and decided to mount it in the burb as both navigation and head unit.

The beast in question.....................

0cpm_zpsn9teoluv.jpg

I used a Ram Mount tablet mount and a Blackhawk quick connect holster base as the basis of it.

IMAG07031_zpsz6nae5pv.jpg

IMAG07051_zps0rbup2ia.jpg

Made an aluminum mounting plate for the dash and mounted it with 3M automotive tape.

IMAG07101_zpsspc1ufd6.jpg

IMAG07121_zpsabmy0oxr.jpg

With it mounted and set in both vertical and horizontal mode. It clears the a/c vent with no issues in either position. I will be mostly keeping it in the horizontal position. I'll be using Bluetooth to run the audio portion of the truck.

IMAG07161_zpslqeakhtr.jpg

IMAG07151_zpsk8da5tvn.jpg

BCobe

Adventurer
I just picked a tab 3 also. What map a program are you going to run?

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

97GreenMeanie

I have a few programs on my Tab 3 7.0 4G LTE for navigation.
Offline Maps
US Topo Maps (free and Pro versions)
Navmii USA
obviously Google Maps

Haven't thoroughly tested them all as of yet.
Realistically Google Maps has worked fine for me when I have cell coverage.
It even shows traffic and accidents, cops (via Waze), etc..

cyclic

Adventurer
I'm piddling with Navmii right now, needs a few changes to make me totally happy. But seems to fit the bill nicely.

Biggest complaints are:
1) Can't lock map to north up, the second you touch the mapping it starts doing the auto rotation thing. Which is fine for the navigate by GPS only people, but I'm a little old school and am firmly rooted in paper maps and actual navigation, I do not need or want it rotating to direction of travel.
2) The Navmii buttons could use a sizing selection, if it's used dash mounted and not handheld, the buttons/controls are small. Also would like the GPS in map speedo to be size selectable, again small for my use.
3) I like having the integrated music player, but could use better execution and/or more of an on screen widget type access. Right now you hit a button to bring up the player and once it sits for a second it goes back to the back ground.

I'll primarily use it for a media device, but the map display and speedo are very helpful.

rayra

Expedition Leader
That mounting plate is a neat solution. No holes, removable / reversible. Custom fit. I think I'm going to use something like it to mount a Galaxy 7" tablet like a 'HUD', above the stereo in my Suburban.

eta

you set off a chain of ideas in my head and a little over an hour later, I've made this mockup.

popupvideo04_zpshpkudtii.jpg

popupvideo03_zpskyd3bqak.jpg

Like yours, a non-permanent mounting, mine will sit atop my dash like yours, but over the radio in my 'o2 Suburban. And also like yours, easy to make from flat stock, plastic, kydex or aluminum. And the mounting plate itself will be the holder and sized to fit snug to the tablet. Maybe some thin rubber or dense foam in the side 'jaws' and on the bottom. I've been looking to get a Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7". When not in place, the bracket is small and will be under my dash carpet and it's visible portion doesn't give much away. The tablet would just slide down into it, like toast into a toaster. The side jaws shouldn't obscure any buttons or ports. But still hold it firmly for all but the worst sort of accelerations.

Thanks for the inspiration.

eta

I think it will work pretty well. Doesn't stick up very much, the width lines up nicely with the dash components. It will sit right above the future in-dash stereo display, which I think will look pretty neat, two similar-sized touchscreen displays. Planning a double-din Pioneer AVH270BT

tabletmockup01_zpsqj0ftvqb.jpg
tabletmockup02_zpsykdwfile.jpg

how the two devices will look together

tabletmockup03_zpsthppww18.jpg

Last edited:

cyclic

Adventurer
Excellent. My wife has a 2004 Avalanche, but as of now she doesn't want one in her truck. We'll see how much she likes mine.

More stuff came in today.......................

Logitech Bluetooth stand alone receiver
Alpine KTP-445U four channel amp
Manual volume knob
Switch housing to replace radio built

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

rayra

Expedition Leader
So you're turning the tablet into a radio, am I understanding that correctly? I have a '85 C-10, same exact dash layout as you, right down to the dual fuel tank switch. Your design is a neat solution for that dash type, can't really cram anything into the factory radio space and the shin area gets real crowded real fast if you start adding other equipment under the stock radio location. I long considered building a central console to hold everything, as I did with an old mini-truck many years ago. But like so much else never got around to it. Now I've leapfrogged all that into this Suburban 'project' vehicle And there's lots of room for all sorts of things. And I wound up building a center console from scratch, anyway, to hold a CB and HAM radios.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...wer-lines-under-vehicle?p=1844473#post1844473

That same sort of console could be built to cradle a larger tablet mounting. But I felt it was too far out of the line of sight to be wise. Up high on the dash, I can risk some looks while driving down the road. Down low, it's just begging for a terrible accident.

cyclic

Adventurer
Still messing with the stereo part.................

Here's a couple pics of parts in progress;
First up is the Bluetooth receiver from Logitech, gives me a line level signal from any Bluetooth source.
IMAG07241_zps6sgtpao0.jpg

Next is my dash radio replacement;
First switch is momentary for a set of air horns, then three light switches, a power switch for the new radio/amp system, finally is a line level volume control.
IMAG07231_zps0yoeoe2w.jpg

Finishing it out is a small console the fits in front of the transfer shifter;
I had to shorten it and cut it down to fit right, still needs painting. You can see the Alpine KTP-445U amp, it will fit inside the console along with a USB power supply and small fuse block. All controlled with a relay and switched at the panel. The oval opening area will be covered with an aluminum panel and possibly a remote face for my Kenwood Ham radio (TMV-71A).

IMAG07251_zpsxx2onvci.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Nice. Nice to see another person here willing to fabricate stuff.

I also was farting around the other day with a switch panel. I pulled out the defunct analog OnStar controls from that location and fabricated a new faceplate to fill the location. The switches look a little off-center because I located them based on the 2003-2006 dash bezel (pictured earlier), which has some of the panels in slightly different locations. I'm swapping the stereo chassis in the dash and the bezel, so I can mount the double-din steroe / entertainment unit. The 2000-2002 can only accept 1-1/2 DIN sizes. The factory air control section shifts downward in the replacement chassis.

bondjamesbond_zpsmtge6qkb.jpg

Eventually it will be light switches on the top row, L-C-R, grill lights, roof lights, backup lights in the rear roof rack fairings. Bottom row will have a master power for the HAM / CB radio stack and their cooling fan, probably at the bottom right. Bottom left and center TBD.

I stuck the labels on there to amuse myself (and alarm my passengers), after seeing the last Bond movie.

cruzerDave

Observer
Can the tablet stay on continuously while plugged in, without slowly draining?

I've had problems with phones like the original Note5, even with cellular off and using a factory 2A car charger, not able to run GPS and screen continuously - very annoying. I am about to make a Tab3 the center of my nav system and would like to know this is possible... thx

cyclic

Adventurer
I'm running power to mine with ignition switched lead. Then an app/program that basically puts the tablet in sleep mode when not receiving power (can manually bring it up). So when I turn the key on the tablet comes up and also charges, and when the key is turned off the tablet goes to sleep. I also have the option of a constant powered plug to run it, but mostly will remain in the vehicle switched on and off mode.

You can find higher output power/chargers pretty easy, definitely think about a 2 to 3 amp one.

cruzerDave

Observer
Thanks @cyclic - what amperage are you providing, and you can confirm it provides enough power so that the tablet doesn't gradually run down? Last time I tried a 2.1A for my Note5 (factory max amperage) it couldn't keep up even with cellular radios off

Also, that program sounds great for this application - what is it called??

cyclic

Adventurer
Here is the hub I'll be using:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016RVSLV0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2DF64X6FBAVJ3&coliid=I1S5EERB1UZSK2&psc=1
Good up to 10 amps, plus once I upgrade to a Tab A or Tab 4, I can add a USB tuner to do fm radio and TV directly to the tablet with no net connection. Also would allow external USB drives and storage for external music input to the tablet.

The ones for software I know of are either Autosleeper Auto power ON-OFF, tasker or llama. For a bunch of info for using a tablet as a head unit/media center check out mp3car.com in the android tablet sub section.

theksmith

Explorer
Thanks @cyclic - what amperage are you providing, and you can confirm it provides enough power so that the tablet doesn't gradually run down? Last time I tried a 2.1A for my Note5 (factory max amperage) it couldn't keep up even with cellular radios off

Also, that program sounds great for this application - what is it called??

after about 6 months of use, my Sony 10.1" tablet had the same issue with any charger (even factory). however, it would only discharge while plugged in *if* i had the screen at full brightness and everything else on too - like bluetooth, gps, cell data, etc... changing it to be 94% brightness during the day allowed it to still charge and made hardly any actual difference in daytime readability. i use the app Lux Auto Brightness to have 2 different automatic profiles for day and night (and the switch to day/night profile happens automatically based on your location and time of day as well).

so you might try adjusting the brightness down a few notches, even to 90%, and see if a quality charger doesn't then work to keep it topped off during heavy use.

and for what it's worth, i've had good luck with Anker brand chargers (both car and home).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94