Toyo 285/70/R19.5 M608z

Mr Rehab

Traveller
I got 80,0000km from the Toyos on our 2010 NPS and though there was some chipping not as much as your photo. Mostly on road stuff in Australia and up through Asia but also plenty on gravel roads through the Kimberley, Gulf road etc.
Very little visible wear up to 20,000km then pronounced heel-toe wear on the inside front tyres, particulary front right, so trying to keep even wear across the tyres was an issue.

Changed to Hankook DH05 which are more road orientated after getting sticker shock at the price of new Michelin XDE (in Europe).

Truck weighs 5800kg and used mostly 65/75psi on road and about 10psi lower on gravel, down to 40/45psi for slower tracks. Advice from tyre workshops was for higher pressures on highway eg 80+ psi.

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I use a set of calipers to measure my tyre wear and adjust pressure to suit for even wear, but this is to run on bitumen. Then I monitor my tyre temps using a "TYRE DOG" setup and if temps climb too much it is either slow down or more pressure (which then becomes counter to what you want as you are trying to keep even wear). Load certainly has an effect on both.

On dirt I knock 10psi straight out. When the road gets rougher let more pressure out and travel slower. There is a balance there some where and you need to find it.

No tyre manufacturer can supply you with tyre pressures to suit your vehicle as there are too many variables but they can supply you with a guide.

Rim diameter certainly has an effect on tyre choice but to say that there is not a lot of tyres in Australia that can handle 6 tonne and go offroad - well.

Dan.

gait

Explorer
around 4/5 - 5 tonne, I vary the pressure with my speed and road. 60 psi for 100km/hr good highway, often as low as 40 psi on potholed corrugated you name it gravel at less than 60 km/hr and as low as 10 km/hr. I look at temperature, they get hot if too low pressure at highway speeds. Too high pressure they are uncomfortable.

I got about 60,00 km our of first set, second set still going with about 45,000 km. Some chipping but not significant. Main issue with current set is feathering due to parabolics. "I must rotate them".

Chiming in late here, but I get about 60,000km out of mine in mainly off-road use. I tend to do lots of sand but the gibb,pdr etc are all regular. I go much much lower than atw and Tokyo recommend, xcept on pure highway runs.

I've had some chipping on rocky hill climbs like your picture but not in "normal" use. My main damage is from side wall penetration when aired down on the canning

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Chiming in late here, but I get about 60,000km out of mine in mainly off-road use. I tend to do lots of sand but the gibb,pdr etc are all regular. I go much much lower than atw and Tokyo recommend, xcept on pure highway runs.

I've had some chipping on rocky hill climbs like your picture but not in "normal" use. My main damage is from side wall penetration when aired down on the canning

Since mine chipped so badly in the middle and not on the sides I'm wondering if I was running them at higher pressure than needed. (I follow the Toyo RV tire pressure tables for M608Z)

So next question --- what can you safely air down to and not lose the bead?

Bris31

Adventurer
I haven't tried it yet but in theory I liked the chalk method to calculate the right tyre pressure for the weight of your truck - though it should be good for bitumen at least. This has been mentioned in this forum somewhere but can't find it now. But this is to draw a line across the tyre with a chalk and drive the truck 50m forward and then backward. Analyse the chalk line and if it is worn off in the center of tyre, reduce the pressure slightly and run again until chalk wears off evenly. Finally add 10% for highway run. It would be bit tedious method as it needs some more pressure adjustment to keep balance for all 4 tyres.

DIPA

HI all
I have used 285/70/19.5s for some 10 years now on a truck that grosses close to 6 tons when we leave home on a trip and as we prefer to head for roads and tracks that few others use we keep our highway running to a minimum so that we don't hold up road trains who are working not like us holidaying and as others have said when we hit the dirt surfaces we air down.
Re pressures as this size is a tyre built for truck use at maximum weights they are rated at close to 3 tonne per single tire at 110psi so as I.m grossing around 1.5 tons per tyre i throw the pressure charts away and run at 70psi on the rears and 65 fronts a more comfortable ride and a reasonable milage until we hit the dirt then its 50 rears and 45 fronts and as other have said lock the front diff in although if the surface of the road is good I have travelled in 2wd with no problems.
I have run a number of different brands Michys that don't justify their cost in both milage and wall durability,Toyos have done a reasonable job no chipping to date but they are a little vulnerable in the walls the best in both mileage and durability have been Hankook AH11 a highway pattern which have done 3 part Canning trips plus other tracks some 60thou of which 40 would have been dirt but not a good tire for wet off highway conditions [I try to avoid the rain but if its not possible find a campsite and settle in for a while,when your retired its a lot easier to do]. but very strong in the walls and give reasonable milage.The Canning has a lot of sand but a fair mixture of rocky outcrops and and sensible driving is required also the pressures were reduced to 22fronts and 28rears and low speeds for the sand hills.

Having been in the road transport industry I expected to get 100000kms per tyre operating at maximum pressures in all highway conditions but off highway is a lot different and reduced pressures result in lower milages probably by as much as 50% so i.m not to phased by tyres that we use giving less mileage.
At present new Hankooks on the front and Toyos on the rear and parked in the shed as this year has been canned due to some medical issues but they won't wear out in the shed.

Cheers Dave

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Nice write up Dave, would have to agree with what you have said re tyre pressures. I have not tried the low pressures you have used on the Canning, but it's good to know some one (like yourself) has. Thanks again get well soon mate
Regards
Steve

Reddogtheo

Observer
Hi Steve , had the same problem with 19.5s on my Oka in a previous time found some semi aggressive tread in a Double coin tyres , after 20k hardly any wear yet found sidewall to stiff and when deflated did not ballon so no good for beach driving.
Had to bite the bullet and buy 16s to get a better tyre range most oaks run michellim 37s. At present on fg637 running Interco 295/75r16 have done 20k they are wearing with no chips or nicks, very soft compound and will only get 50k out of set will try 255/100r16 next as I feel I could do with lower rpm after a turbo is installed.

Mick

DIPA

Hi Steve
Don't be frightened by low pressures just remember low pressure low speed as heat build up is your tyres enemy and possible delamination as a result as for how low you can go based purely on my own experiences 15psi no problems in sand bog conditions but immediate increase in pressure when the terrain is better, I did take a punt one night a couple of centuries ago when I bogged a road train on a desert oil rig track and all else had failed so I reduced pressures on the drive axles to 8psi the result was 8 tyres spun off the beads and a lot of blaspheming but thats life.

Cheers Dave

Karl of Oz

Observer
Steve, what pressures were you running (generally) back and front, tar and off road?

I have seen very similar on my Landcruiser (BF Goodrich) and have similar experiences to that described by Dan. I run less pressure these days and it seems better.

Goldanfish

Observer
Toyo 19.5 singles.

Just been up & back to the tip. Cape York via Peninsula Dev. Road plus a few side diversions.
Toyo's have done approx 65- 70 thou. K's and I ran them on the corrugations 33 psi front and 58 rear over the 800 hundred odd k's up & back .Springs are ATW parabolics with big Koni shocks front & rear. Travelling weight 6.5 Tonne loaded. All worked pretty good.

Last edited:

fg4oz

Adventurer
Better late than never, just clocked 100,000km with my toyo, running Atw parabolic, still plenty of meat left. Do rotate with 2 spares I have. 80% road 15% dirt/off-road, 5% sand. Flat bed truck carrying excavator/slide on most days, very rarely unloaded. Normally 5-5.5ton. Purchased in 2012. Vary pressure occasionally but not religiously. Have done big 10 hour days on highway at 100-105kph, have done plenty of rocky and corrugated roads. Generally pretty happy with these supplied by Atw. Didn't find the tyres too good in mud, but never been stuck at Fraser, Moreton or any other beach. No signs of chunks missing like in your pictures. Have found the rear shackles are copping a hiding. Have replaced twice in 100,000km. Still pretty happy. Driving out central qld recently and ended up sideways after a freshly graded dirt road was a bit wet, once I locked in 4wd and with the front diff upgrade, the old girl was very solid.
Ben.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Steve, what pressures were you running (generally) back and front, tar and off road?

I have seen very similar on my Landcruiser (BF Goodrich) and have similar experiences to that described by Dan. I run less pressure these days and it seems better.
Pressure front/back

Depends on road type, tar = 55/70
General dirt = 45/60
Road like Connie sue highway = 35/45

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke