2013 Silverado 1500 Build Thread

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Thank you! I used around 45 feet of 1/8" wall tubing (including 8x 11" standoffs from the frame)

It was definitely the extra hump that was giving drag. I have driven normal campers before that couldn't really notice. I was fairly surprised that I could feel the drag, but it was a significant difference when I removed the topper.

I am loving the Airaid so far. I cant yet comment on the MPG gains that some claim, but I can feel additional throttle response and early torque. It also sounds MUCH better at higher RPM's, but isn't noticeable at all below 2500 RPM's.

UPDATE
Spot welded the bumper, I am pleased with how it is turning out
20160325_170855_zpsiz6y3aht.jpg

Overado

Observer
Thank you! I used around 45 feet of 1/8" wall tubing (including 8x 11" standoffs from the frame)

Sweet man thanks for the info on the sliders, I am going to the shop tomorrow to get some tubing. makes my math easier! bumper looks great too can't wait to see everything on!

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Sliders are looking good! I'm interested to hear more about the kick out in the back, I thought it was a step. Can't wait to see them installed.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Cool looking build. I like all the custom fabrication. I cant wait to see everything installed. Cheers, Chilli..:)

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Took the bumper to get powder coated today!
20160330_125829_zps1t3nnica.jpg

I am having some difficulty figuring out how exactly to mount the rock sliders though. Anyone on here have experience installing custom sliders?

deadly99

Explorer
I drilled into my frame, placed the new holes near the stock holes so I could get a nut in there. Was a pita trying not to drop the nut. Took a few tries and a magnet for retrieval of failed attempts.

I would have just welded them to the frame but I wanted to be able to remove them every few years to have them sandblasted and re powder coated (rust removal).

mccustomize

Explorer
I welded plates to my frame, then welded the sliders to those, however if you wanted them to be removable you could always sleeve the 2" with 1.5" and bolt them together, welding just the plate and part of the legs to the truck.

justcuz

Explorer
Truck looks good, really like your back bumper design.
If I recall correctly Hot Rod Magazine did an LS engine intake comparison of intake manifolds from different aftermarket manufacturers vs. stock GM intakes.
Few if any as I recall were better than the stock truck manifold.
Pretty much the same with cams, one GM cam was better than the LM7 truck cam for power below 4400 rpm, but everything else including aftermarket all build power above 4500 rpm.
About all you can do to improve on them is less restrictive intake and less restrictive after cat exhaust.

mccustomize

Explorer
Truck looks good, really like your back bumper design.
If I recall correctly Hot Rod Magazine did an LS engine intake comparison of intake manifolds from different aftermarket manufacturers vs. stock GM intakes.
Few if any as I recall were better than the stock truck manifold.
Pretty much the same with cams, one GM cam was better than the LM7 truck cam for power below 4400 rpm, but everything else including aftermarket all build power above 4500 rpm.
About all you can do to improve on them is less restrictive intake and less restrictive after cat exhaust.

Correct, there is no need to swap that fantastic truck intake he has, the 07+ is a huge upgrade on my truck, the intake and TB are worth 25+ RWHP on a naturally aspirated engine.

Hurry up and get those bumpers and sliders on!

Barb The Yeti

Observer
I did brackets like this

1.jpg

Thanks for the pic! I am planning on doing something like that.

I am possibly planning on a front bumper, but I haven't really figured how much more difficult than a rear it would be.

The rear bumper is at the powder coater right now, and should be on the truck by Wednesday. I am hoping I can finish the rock sliders soon, but its proving difficult to find good mounting points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne