2013 Silverado 1500 Build Thread

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Hi, I am a long time lurker, new member to the forum. Over summer 2015, I acquired a 2013 Silverado LT 1500 4x4 with the 5.3.
This is what it looked like when I got it
20150807_104747_zpsgea32zfe.jpg

After a level and 33" BFG K02's
20150902_135346_zpsh2oqwrom.jpg

Behind the grill 20" light bar
20160205_223046_zpsg9zv9vkh.jpg

Trip to Zion's national park
b21f5aef-1512-4f4e-8027-46e753d33b45_zpsoczqy6of.jpg

I have been steadily doing mods, including Bilstein 5100's on all sides, and some other minor aesthetic changes.
I am hopefully going to be putting this bumper on that I designed, sooner or later.
Bumper_zpsfgxwhliz.jpg

I would love some feedback!

jimi breeze

jimi breeze
I like the look of the bumper design. I have a 2010 which I replaced both bumpers with steel units. The weight difference was close to 150 lbs. I couldn't believe how light weight the stockers were but for MPG sake I understand why.
Feedback - what do you plan to do with the truck? After all it is just a domestic 4x4 pickup which is designed to carry a payload. It is capable of traversing some surprising terrain though. I've had my truck through sand, rocks, mud, tight trails, all types of terrain. It can do what you want it to but just be wary of its limitations.
I chose a pickup because I wanted a topper to sleep in. The idea was get there and quickly set up/break down camp.

So I guess what I'm saying is that our trucks (every vehicle for that matter) are built for specific purpose. You won't us crawling over trails that a Jeep Rubicon or Land Rover 90 will but can get to where we need to. Have fun with your project if you have any questions message me.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
Thank you for the imput! I really like your truck, and I have very similar goals. I am planning to make it into a capable overlander, but nothing near a rock crawler. Probably end goal being 35" tires and a full 3" lift (with fiberglass fenders)
I hope to have some rock sliders and the bumper fabricated soon, but I am looking for another project/ improvement. What is the next thing that should be on my list?

fiddypal

Adventurer
Does your current topper sit at cab height or slightly higher like the one in the first pic? Wish i had that extra headroom, mine is a cap height.

pawleyk

Running from Monday..
Thank you for the imput! I really like your truck, and I have very similar goals. I am planning to make it into a capable overlander, but nothing near a rock crawler. Probably end goal being 35" tires and a full 3" lift (with fiberglass fenders)
I hope to have some rock sliders and the bumper fabricated soon, but I am looking for another project/ improvement. What is the next thing that should be on my list?

In my experience with bumpers and other steel add-ons, heavy doesn't mean better. You can build a VERY strong steel (or aluminum) bumper by doing a little amateur engineering. I had a TrailReady bumper on my Chevy for about 8 years, but it weighed almost 150lbs. I built my own front bumper that does everything the TrailReady did, but is under 60lbs..

Don't forget to budget a re-gear into your build if you decide to go for the 35's. I'm guessing your 1500 is fairly high geared and the extra weight and diameter of the big tires will really drag it down and tax your transmission.

Beautiful truck, I'm glad to see more and more full size American trucks (especially Chevy's!) being considered for overland builds. They really make a great platform.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
I have an intake ordered, but I am in the market for an exhaust. Is the MagnaFlow offroad a good one for the money?

Funny enough, I actually sold that topper, because I no longer have a place to store it, and I no longer have one. The extra room was nice, but there was a noticeable drag on the truck above 75mph.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Good to know... i got this primarily for a cross country trip so MPG is something i need to pay attention to.

OR2BAJA

Observer
I have an intake ordered, but I am in the market for an exhaust. Is the MagnaFlow offroad a good one for the money?

Funny enough, I actually sold that topper, because I no longer have a place to store it, and I no longer have one. The extra room was nice, but there was a noticeable drag on the truck above 75mph.

I am diesel guy but magna flow is a main stream name and well respected. Make sure to get stainless.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
UPDATE
Got the Airaid MIT installed, and the throttle response is significantly improved. I cant rally say anything about power increases, but it definitely sounds better at higher RPM as well.
Started my rock sliders as well, added a kickout at the end of them after reading about their benefits on a long wheelbase vehicle.
20160323_202703_zpsvb5vjbb4.jpg

herm

Adventurer
i love the sliders. I wish there were more options for us 1/2 ton gm guys. very hard to find a nice, simple bumper/sliders/etc for the chevy, even harder for the GMC.

Barb The Yeti

Observer
No doubt. I was looking for good rock sliders for ages, but all I ended up finding is body mounted steps. I decided to just make my own!

ZMagic97

Explorer

I find that interesting...both mine have no noticeable differences with or without shells at 80MPP+. Maybe it was due to the extra height of the one you had?

Overado

Observer
UPDATE
Got the Airaid MIT installed, and the throttle response is significantly improved. I cant rally say anything about power increases, but it definitely sounds better at higher RPM as well.
Started my rock sliders as well, added a kickout at the end of them after reading about their benefits on a long wheelbase vehicle.
20160323_202703_zpsvb5vjbb4.jpg

Love the sliders I have been gearing up to tack some up myself Yours look killer!
How much material did you buy? I see you used 2" I have been trying to figure out how much tubing I will need for my 2011 Silverado double cab like yours.

wrmmt

Adventurer
Looking awesome! Nice to see another '13 silverado build up here! Can't wait to see how those sliders turn out, trying to decide if I want to go that route with mine or not, will have to wait a little at least. Intake probably the next thing for mine, how do you like the AIRAID so far?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior