waterproofing tailgate gaps

Kevin108

Explorer
Maybe you should consider building a low-profile false floor so your gear is resting about the true bed surface? It might be as simple as adding one of the rubber bed mats.

rayra

Expedition Leader
no no no, you need to stop the patch on a patch on a patch solutions and go right after the source. Jack that cap up and put a better proper thicker seal all around the outermost area of the bed lip where the cap makes contact. One person with a couple 2x4 chunks can do the job. Unbolt it, lift it from inside, on your back, insert the 2x4 pieces vertically to support the shell on one side while you set the new seal, then do the other side / front. measure your headroom, make the 2x4s ~3-4" taller.

Then the seal you linked earlier will take care of the rest.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Rayra is correct. Or go back to the guys who installed the shell and have them do it right. I have had the same shell on my GMC for about 18 years and it is still watertight on the original rail seal. When I bought the shell, I installed plastic rail caps to protect the paint, and the bulb seal on the shell is compressed against the rail caps.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I agree with the "make the seal right" motion. My 06 Sierra has 0 leaks with my Leer shell. Had it parked and driven between 3 days of non-stop rain when camping and had no leaks at all.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Already took care of it myself, the retard who installed it let a piece of the foam strip fold over. That was only causing a very tiny leak, the other leaks were from holes in the bed which are just there by design, has nothing to do with the cap attachment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94