Nitro Gear - Project "Big Dog Burban"

nitro-gear

Supporting Sponsor - Differential & Axle Parts
After our last blog on the Nitro Suburban build we found ourselves at Easter Jeep Safari thinking about what would be next on the agenda, but delayed (and not in a bad way) as we wheeled, tested product, and worked the big vendor show in Moab. Since returning to the shop we have been busy sorting out the details on what seems to be an ever increasing scope of projects within the bigger build.

Suspension. After initially installing a set of shock hoops up front for the Prodigy coilovers we concluded we needed to build a different set that would put the top mounts further up in the wheelwells in order to increase the uptravel at the lowest possible ride height we could get. That meant cutting the old (but new) shock hoops off the frame and starting over. A lot of work, but required if we wanted to get the front suspension to operate as intended. Our friends over at Build It Offroad bent up the new ones and they've since been hard welded into the frame. We've yet to finalize the bumpstop location, but have picked up 5 more inches of articulation at this point up front. With all 4 tires still on the ground we can now lift a front tire 43 inches vertically.

VBNvXdLl.jpg

fe14xfOl.jpg

RVOwGBjl.jpg

NaRmEKxl.jpg

Out back we're still developing the precise locations of the shocks, but did decide we're going to box much of the frame as part of that mounting process as the open C-channel simply doesn't look beefy enough to work well and we don't want a broken chassis down the road. That decision will add more fab time to the project, but should give us more flexibility to get the shock mounts exactly where they need to be when we get there again.

pD4iZ73l.jpg

4rEAS4ul.jpg

UMEcvJSl.jpg

DrLBXccl.jpg

HY7n4hEl.jpg

KrCPeEDl.jpg

nitro-gear

Steering– Another area that has seen a lot of trial and error. The goal is to have hydro assist using a steering box as the valve assembly to drive the piston. That means we have a mechanical linkage between the box and the knuckles that needs to clear everything under full flex in all positions. Packaging all this has been challenging to say the least and we're still finalizing the details, but it's getting close. We're expecting more components for our combination to arrive in the next few days.

Rear steer– Yes, we're keeping the OE system intact, but with a huge upgrade with custom links using 1 ton tie rods and extreme duty machined fasteners to connect to the cylinder. The original components we're about 1/2″ diameter rods and we knew we'd bend them the first time we smacked a sidewall offroad. Fingers crossed the steering ram itself holds up ok, but only one way to find that out.

DnPsXQkl.jpg

CyiOS6Xl.jpg

G35A3otl.jpg

Body Mods- With all the front fiberglass painted we've final fitted the fiberglass fenders and hood and fabricated some additional linkage components to allow us to open the 2012 style hood once the grill and headlights are installed. We've also opened up the rear wheelwells for additional tire clearance and repainted the rear flares, though not yet mounted them. The rear Mercenary Offroad bumper is fully mocked up, with the front one still waiting it's turn for installation. Both bumpers are killer and we can't wait to see how that setup looks after powder coating.

SUBaZagl.jpg

9hFtFuzl.jpg

xYblTVPl.jpg

LWv5N7ll.jpg

6fQwdqdl.jpg

tvphoNKl.jpg

vLMh4hUl.jpg

nitro-gear

Drivetrain- The fresh trans and T-case are now bolted to the motor and in the tunnel. We've run into a few issues with the power steering pump setup and other accessories up front as well, but have been working through those. The cause has been a switch from the truck type LS intake manifold to a car style. What seemed a minor change has created a bunch of small problems that have required custom (expensive:) brackets to make everything work.

CQDenvrl.jpg

3K0dMiPl.jpg

Where it stands- At this point we are making progress everyday, but this is a big project. We still have the fuel system to install/build, finish the suspension with correct length coilovers , install airbumps once the rest of the suspension is done, box the frame as earlier mentioned, finish the Mercenary Offroad front winch bumper and Warn winch and wire up the standalone computer to make this beast run. Those are the big details for now and hopefully on our next update we will have most of these things finished and be onto the small stuff. Stay tuned.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Now that is one solid `Burb´!! Wow, :Wow1:talk about flex! That truck should be able to anywhere. Great work guys and a great thread!:wings:

nitro-gear

Me Too! Really cool seeing a major:Wow1:build on a GM product as opposed to a Fruad or a Dodge like so many others. Although I have seen some cool Dodge builds too. I am looking forward to seeing what you are doing with this rig. Is it going to be a crawler or some other specific purpose rig?:drool:

"Expediton crawler" is what I have heard Jeremy refer to it so far. So basically if it fits, he will take it there.

I'm in! Lots of cool ideas.
Any reason for the 4 link vs. the newer Power Wagon 2 link track bar design reminiscent of the old Ford Mono-Beam front end design?
Rear steer will be cool, it should make it act like the WB is 10 inches shorter in the tight stuff.

4 link, for geometry and strength. Yes the rear steer will be great on the tight trails in the PNW.

Are you worried about the rear axle being able to handle the strain?

A few years ago one of the magazines built an Avalanche with rear steer and big tires. They had issues with that axle as I recall.

I love the look of the big dog burb

We upgraded the rod ends, and links. Hopefully the ram holds up, but if it doesn't we can always upgrade that as well!

nitro-gear

Me Too! Really cool seeing a major:Wow1:build on a GM product as opposed to a Fruad or a Dodge like so many others. Although I have seen some cool Dodge builds too. I am looking forward to seeing what you are doing with this rig. Is it going to be a crawler or some other specific purpose rig?:drool:

Sorry, missed this earlier. We chose to go with a Dodge axle since the ABS components/rings/sensors are identical to OE Chevy parts so those electronics will still function as they should.

nitro-gear

This week saw the steering finalized (we think) with a Howe double ended hydraulic ram combined with a steering box and mechanical linkage. The steering box is plumbed to control the ram leaving a mechanical back up and steering feel connection between the wheels and the steering wheel, but with similar power to a full hydro setup. The idea here is the best of both worlds offering huge strength in the linkage and easy steering at the same time. We still need to get everything plumbed, but the layout looks good at this point.

dTWFGKOl.jpg

0lytjCjl.jpg

bgIzUNml.jpg

The frame. If you saw the video we posted on FB last week you will be aware we had decided to box the frame front to back. This meant cutting steel after making templates and then fitting and welding them in place. We opted to box the frame for additional strength and to improve our mounting options for the rear bypass shocks as we felt the stock frame configuration was going to lead to a location compromise. Our lead fabricator has the new box frame plates welded in and is beginning the process of grinding the welds smooth for a SEMA show level finish.

kFDJ1Znl.jpg

gmi8Go7l.jpg

NkATxEil.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow :Wow1::Wow1:you guys are really giving this rig the Rolls Royce treatment. I love the look of the work you have done. Excellent idea about having the mechanical linkage as a back-up if the hydraulics fail for the rear steer. This truck is going to a best when its done!:drool:

nitro-gear

Here's a couple teaser shots of the sliders we are working on for the Burb!

nFPoWLpl.jpg

UJx7I9Jl.jpg

BuWOoT9l.jpg

G5WWyd8l.jpg

justcuz

Explorer
Sliders are very unique. Boxed frame and Subutban body will make a very solid structure. Keep up the good work, can't wait for the next report.

norcal4x4

Do you have to custom order the rock krawler sas kit? I saw tons of info on it years ago then it all just dissapeared.

nitro-gear

It’s been a while since we updated the progress on our Suburban and mostly that’s the result of us trying to work through the small details that take a long time, but don’t exactly scream progress on a big project like this. That said we are getting closer to seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel finally.

BxQ8lEil.jpg

CS5zg2Tl.jpg

Ride Height- It took us a couple tries to get the correct length Prodigy coilovers and spring rates up front along with reworking the shock towers until we were happy with ride height. We’ve also done a lot of trimming of the wheelwells both front and rear to gain more clearance for the big Nitto 40’s in an effort to keep as much uptravel as possible.

g14ShTql.jpg

WpmG6hel.jpg

RCLfyA8l.jpg

iiVv6n9l.jpg

bGcX0nYl.jpg

ZyXeeyBl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94