Nitro Gear - Project "Big Dog Burban"

nitro-gear

Supporting Sponsor - Differential & Axle Parts
[SUB]​[/SUB]What to do when you have an aging Suburban at home that has lost much of it’s luster, owes you nothing and really isn’t worth much with over 200K on the odometer but you still like the rig?

Time to re-purpose it. That’s exactly what we’re doing here. Take a well used 2004 Suburban, tear out the drivetrain and suspension and start over. 40″ Nitto Mud Grapplers, well over 500hp LS power, Custom Rock Krawler solid axle conversion, and Prodigy Shocks, lockers, updated trans and T-case, extensive body modifications, paint and interior upgrades.

Check out the first details below as we are just getting rolling on this huge project. You can follow along with the project on the Nitro Gear blog here.

MRwAgZYl.jpg

mnALRsUl.jpg

F70sxY6l.jpg

So far we’ve torn the drivetrain out of the Chevy and swapped an AAM 9.25″ Dodge Axle under the front end complete with an ARB Air Locker and Nitro Ring and Pinion. That combo is mocked up to the 4 link Rock Krawler suspension conversion and Prodigy Shocks. We’re still working out the ride height with the goal to set it as low as possible and still have a very functional suspension controlling the Nitto 40″ Tires on DV8 Beadlock wheels.

O5ooDTIl.jpg

co3GrDGl.jpg

aMJaqB5l.jpg

WRtpGS0l.jpg

nitro-gear

Supporting Sponsor - Differential & Axle Parts
Massive bodywork changes are needed to give us the clearance required for the big Nitto's. Specifically a Mcneil Racing Fiberglass front clip is being installed along with newer style Spyder Lights projector light assemblies. The racing parts have required a lot of custom brackets and adding the newer front fascia meant building a custom sheetmetal duct/mount assembly to align the newer somewhat longer nose. Our in house fabricator made patterns then cut and welded the sheetmetal panels finally bolting them into place.

lAO33URl.jpg

2ZXbMGwl.jpg

tgG8ZdGl.jpg

0S3ZkjOl.jpg

The Suburban itself has one particularly rare option which we intend to keep. It has a factory dana 60 rear steer axle. Not many Suburban's were built this way and given the long wheelbase the rear steer is incredibly helpful during tight maneuvers. Unlike from the factory we'll be setting the rear steer up for manual control and building lock out pins into the knuckles for highway use. We're rebuilding the axle using Nitro Gears and a new Auburn Ected electric locker featuring 4 pinions and extremely strong aircraft grade alloy internals. Rear suspension consists of custom Atlas Springs and another pair of Prodigy Shocks will eventually be installed along with appropriate bump stops.

ooiLXzFl.jpg

kIlkFczl.jpg

imiMcIAl.jpg

6rdwRR6l.jpg

wZqDlrql.jpg

Follow along with the Nitro Gear Blog for all the latest updates!

njtacoma

Explorer
Are you worried about the rear axle being able to handle the strain?

A few years ago one of the magazines built an Avalanche with rear steer and big tires. They had issues with that axle as I recall.

I love the look of the big dog burb

justcuz

Explorer
I'm in! Lots of cool ideas.
Any reason for the 4 link vs. the newer Power Wagon 2 link track bar design reminiscent of the old Ford Mono-Beam front end design?
Rear steer will be cool, it should make it act like the WB is 10 inches shorter in the tight stuff.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Wow, I need to get me one of them money cannons that you guys seem to have. Just aim it at the truck and pull the lanyard! :sombrero:
moneycannon_zpscc7718bd.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Very cool! interested to see what you do with the rear steer.

Me Too! Really cool seeing a major:Wow1:build on a GM product as opposed to a Fruad or a Dodge like so many others. Although I have seen some cool Dodge builds too. I am looking forward to seeing what you are doing with this rig. Is it going to be a crawler or some other specific purpose rig?:drool:

Anak

Stranger
I am happy to see you guys are working to keep the rear steer. I saw the lights on the roof in the very first pic and thought "Oh no. There goes another one."

They are indeed rare.

And yes, I need one of those money cannons too.

thethePete

Explorer
What was the reasoning behind going with a Dodge front axle instead of a Ford D60? (Just curious, and did you go with any of the known good aftermarket goodies to fix up the weak points on that axle?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
What was the reasoning behind going with a Dodge front axle instead of a Ford D60? (Just curious, and did you go with any of the known good aftermarket goodies to fix up the weak points on that axle?

By going with a Dodge axel you stay away from that Fraud jinx effect..:wings:

thethePete

Explorer
Yes, because this needs to turn into a brand bashing exercise. I asked a legitimate question. The AAM axle has notoriously weak steering components and the d60 is a common front axle swap. I was curious if they had it laying around or if they used it for a specific reason.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

justcuz

Explorer
Most likely availability and mounting points.
I know earlier Ford Dana 60 front axles are hard to get now even in the ball joint version.
Later ones from Super Duty trucks are popular for swaps now as are the AAM's.
I was under the impression the Dodge steering issues were related to the Dodge linkage and frame mounts.
Looks like they are building their own, I see what looks to be a Heim or urethane panhard bar mount on the frame.
I did notice some plate reinforcing of the C's and what may be the beginnings of a lower truss off the backside of the lower C.
None of the manufacturers build their own big axles any longer. In the US it's either AAM or Dana Corp.
Even the GM 14 bolt is made by AAM now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz