For Sale, Action Mobil on a Pinzgauer 6x6

LukeH

Adventurer
Hi, sadly I can't keep my Pinzgauer. We're a family of four and it's excellent for two, and ok for two and a half :)

So here goes:
Base vehicle: Pinzgauer 712 6x6 built in 1981 so the second generation galvanized body. 2.5 litre petrol aircooled engine runs like a Swiss watch. Auxiliary tank down the centre "trough" (I've never run it dry, but over 300 litres), enlarged main tank. Brand new batteries, long range travel kit includes axle boot, filters, gearbox additives and a new clutch plate. Good Nokian snow tyres all round, two spare tyres unused, a full set of snow chains.
At 80 kph on the freeway uses 14l/100km, at 95kph uses 19l/100km!!! This vehicle has no power steering and drum brakes; you need strong arms do direct it on tar and a heavy foot to stop it. On gravel and other loose surfaces it's astonishing how easy it is to steer.

Camper body: Hard sided lifting roof body built by Action Mobil. Button operated hydraulic ram lifts the roof. Slatted double bed over cab 140cm wide, storage next to the bed. Kitchen with two burner hob and plenty of cupboards. Under counter compressor fridge.
3 seat dinette which can also be converted into a single bed.
Heated by a Webasto Thermo Top through radiators dotted about the cabin. The Webasto has the altitude kit and works fantastically even at 4000m in the Altiplano!
Wet "room" is the entrance way, with slatted floor and drain direct into the grey water tank. Drop down sink, mixer tap with shower head and porta potti on a roll out dolly.
Seitz double glazed windows all round and a large roof hatch which will have a brand new piano hinge very soon.
I collect it from the valet tomorrow so will be able to post some pics of the interior, here are some exterior pics:
DSC_0507.jpg
DSC_0508.jpg
DSC_0509.jpg
DSC_0510.jpg
The vehicle is in Glastonbury, Somerset, UK. It will be UK registered shortly.
Considering the age of the base vehicle import to the US shouldn't be a problem, there are many more experienced than I on this subject. I can deliver it to a port of choice at buyer's expense; it fits neatly onto a 20 foot flat rack and has travelled all over by container ship.
The price at the moment is 15000 pounds sterling. This will probably increase as I fix the various bits and bobs that I have never needed to do before but that a new owner might prefer fixed.
Contact me through the forum or directly on 00447484842021.
I look forward to hearing from you

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Today's winner of the most interesting thing we could spend money on.

I'd like to see the interior layout as well. Thanks.

LukeH

Adventurer
As promised, interior photos

2 1/2 seat dinette
DSC_0556.jpg
decent kitchen
DSC_0553.jpg
Proper slatted double bed with heating running under the mattress (I have the mattress, i just took it out to clean underneath
DSC_0550.jpg
Wet zone in the entrance way, drop down sink, hot/cold mixer tap with shower head and pull out porta potti (not shown)
DSC_0552.jpg
Lots and lots of internal storage under floor, next to bed, under seats, under kitchen, all over the place
DSC_0557.jpg

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Does this have a crawl thru from the cab? Can't really figure it out from the photos...

Thanks

LukeH

Adventurer
Does this have a crawl thru from the cab? Can't really figure it out from the photos...

Thanks

Unfortunately not. It's one of the shortfalls. On the positive side, you learn to get organised. When you close up the back, prepare to drive off and realise you've left your whatever in the back, or vice versa in the evening you quickly learn to be more organised :)

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hey this spare tire is actually that, a spare tire!

I really like the Pinz and this one is unique and wonderful. I have heard concerns of Pinz power, or lack there of, what has been your experience with the added weight of the cabin? Thanks!

The Yak

Observer
Interesting. I have seen several conversions on Pinzgauers but I cannot recall ever seeing this Action Mobil body on a Pinz before.

Am I correct in thinking that this AM/Pinz conversion is rare, possibly unique?

LukeH

Adventurer
Interesting. I have seen several conversions on Pinzgauers but I cannot recall ever seeing this Action Mobil body on a Pinz before.

Am I correct in thinking that this AM/Pinz conversion is rare, possibly unique?

Yup.
very special, this body was originally intended for a G-wagon. The original purchaser wanted better off-road capacity so he went for the Pinz.

LukeH

Adventurer
Hey this spare tire is actually that, a spare tire!

I really like the Pinz and this one is unique and wonderful. I have heard concerns of Pinz power, or lack there of, what has been your experience with the added weight of the cabin? Thanks!
There's a spare wheel on the roof and indeed a spare tyre hanging on the latter.
Europeans and Americans have different standards for "enough" power when designing vehicles :)
The max rated weight of the Pinz is 3900 kg. 100 hp is enough to get you into trouble, gearing, tyre deflation and skill is enough to pull you out.
The petrol engine has very little torque at idle; before I owned a Pinz I looked at the youtube videos asking why they revved so much, now I know.
5th gear takes you from 40 km/h to 90 so the engine is very very versatile and I've grown to like it.
If you are a big block/auto/heavy right foot driver the Pinz is definitely not for you; it won't roar out of obstacles bouncing all over the place on fully inflated spinning tyres.
If you gear down, air down and lock all the diffs it'll crawl you out of many,many difficult spots with that aircooled cooling fan whining like a jet engine (tyre choice also important in the sloppy stuff of course)
On the motorway it holds 90km/h with the hgvs no trouble. It will happily cruise at 100 km/h but for 10 km/h you use 5l/100km more!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior