Looking for battery options now that Diehard Platinums are discontinued

tip

Adventurer
Wasn't really sure where to ask this, but figured there's more traffic here than the 12V forum.

The battery on my 96 4Runner is in need of a replacement. I had always planned on getting a Diehard Platinum but it looks like they're discontinued now. I'm leaning toward an Optima red top, as I've had two in the last 5-6 years with no issues (though I am aware of the more recent Optima issues).

Short of shelling out the $250+ for an Odyssey (which really is overkill for my mostly stock rig), what else should I be looking at? I did a lot of searching around online but most threads are from 4+ years ago or before the Odyssey/Diehard deal went south.

zelatore

Explorer
I recently made the change from a Platinum (Odyssey) to a Northstar, both group 31. Happy with it so far.

Honestly if you're running stock and don't have a lot of demand I'd say there's little need for an 'exotic' battery. For a little cost savings, assuming you are planning to go AGM, I'd look at the Dekka Intimidator. It's sold under many brands.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Still a few DHPs floating around. I had a 31M that stopped holding a strong charge. Found another one a few towns away and Sears swapped it, no questions asked. Tough warranty to beat.

bkg

Explorer
The optima's of 20 years ago are not the optima's of today. The red top I bought in ~96 survived multiple full drains, being frozen, heavy winch use... Nary a problem. Optima's I've purchased since ~04.. All sucked. I think I warrantied 2 and gave up on two or three more...

MandAtaco

Observer
I wouldn't waste a dime on another red top. the last 2 I had didn't last at all.

I've been running an Oriley's AGM for the last year and few months and so far so good. I did a lot of research before I bought it and couldn't find anything but good reviews.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Any of the AGM batteries made by Northstar or East Penn Mfg. There are a lot of rebadged/rebranded AGM batteries, but only a few actual manufacturers providing them to all those brands.

Found this informative listing of who makes what automotive battery on IH8MUD from 2012.

Sears Diehard...
Lead Acid - Johnson Controls
Platinum AGM - Odyssey/Enersys (Discontinued)
Advanced Gold AGM - East Penn

Interstate - Johnson Controls

Walmart Everstart- Johnson Controls (Exide Contract Cancelled)

Autozone Duralast...
AGM - East Penn

Pep Boys (including Bosch) - As of Aug 2012 Exide

NAPA...
AGM - East Penn.

Optima - Johnson Controls

Odyssey - Enersys Inc (Johnson Controls was in talks to purchase them during last quarter of 2015)

Varta AGM - (Fall 2012) Johnson Controls in a new US plant

Costco - Johnson Controls

Northstar - Northstar (also distributed by Batteries Plus as the X2Power and Exide under the Northstar label)

Batteries Plus X2 Power - Northstar

Duracell - East Penn (Deka)

Rayovac at Batteries Plus... (Discontinued?)
AGM - East Penn

Deka - East Penn

This guy did a lot of digging - Battery Information | IH8MUD Forum

Optima has apparently just gone downhill. And while Odyssey is still great their parent company EnerSys Inc was in talks with Johnson Controls who has owned Optima for some time. What that means for their quality control I have no idea.

I got a Diehard Advanced Gold Group 34. 775CCA, 120min reserve, 41lbs, 3yr warranty, and only $160. Not a huge jump over the OEM's 710CCA Group 27 Panasonic but I don't need a big reserve capacity.

Length/Width fits great in the FJC, but it's not tall enough for an exact fit to the OE battery tie-downs and needs a spacer underneath or some creative spacing up top.

DieHard%20Advanced%20Gold%20G34R%20FJC%20Front_zpscf95pdln.jpg~original

Another guy on the Blue Room likes his Battery Plus X2Power AGM battery, model SLI27FAGMDP made by Northstar. 930CCA, 67lbs, 60-month warranty, $305, don't know the reserve capacity.

B%202.jpg

:beer:

Last edited:

tip

Adventurer
Thanks for the great info so far, still sorting through the choices.

FWIW, my local Toyota dealer has their OEM True-Start 24F at $108. Part # 00544-24F60-575, 24 month free replacement, 60 month prorated warranty, 575CCA, 130 RC

Not bad for 100 bucks....

I used to use the Optima yellow top in all my trucks, but then the quality dropped and I had few bad ones. Since then I have been running lead acid batteries. I have an Interstate battery in my crawler, which sees heavy winching from time to time, and it has held up fine. I know it's not very wise to use a lead acid battery in a truck that gets bounced around, but until I find another brand that is as good as Optima used to be (without costing 2x the price) I will stick with the auto parts store variety.

It seems there have been many Odyssey recommendations here. I had one about ten years ago and it was garbage. Are you guys saying they're better now?

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I'm working through the same question, but in the context of house battery only. If I stay with AGM, I'm strongly considering this VMAX Charge Tank which is group 31 and 125AH. I've been hard pressed to find a higher capacity battery in this form factor. Note, this battery is not to be used as a starting battery. I don't know anyone who has one, but they have solid reviews on Amazon and emails communications directly with the company have been good. They have a deal where first order is 10% off and free shipping.

I'm also considering LiFePO4 and have been looking at 80ah and 100ah deep cycle batteries from StarkPower. Pretty much choking on the price as well as gambling on the newer tech involved with these beasts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke