Road navigation software

allyncooper

Observer
Pretty much a newbie here in the nav world so bare with me.

Just bought a 9" android tablet for semi-permanent "carputer" install in truck. Didn't have integral GPS so I bought a GlobalSat USB dongle, installed software and seems to be OK. Planning on install of Back Country Nav for my offroad needs (I know I've got a learning curve on that - this forum helps a lot so thanks to all !). Looking for a decent road nav app also, which I assume I'll need in addition to BCN since I want that function also. Would appreciate some recommendations or direction here on what forum memebers use for that. TIA.

tarditi

Explorer
Turn-by-turn directions needed on road?

Phone: I use google maps and locus pro on-road and BackCountry Nav Pro off-highway.

My garmin also has topo maps stored.

Last edited:

ZMagic97

Explorer
I will second Google for tablet use. Mine died so I went Garmin: I'll admit I like the Garmin better.

dlh62c

Explorer
I will second Google for tablet use. Mine died so I went Garmin: I'll admit I like the Garmin better.

You can't beat a device that shows you where your at, where your going and if you have tracking turned on and displayed, where you've been, all at the same time.

MOguy

Explorer
I have been using HERE for turn by turn. it has been working great for me and it is a free app. You need WIFI to down load it originally but after that it works of GPS only if you want. I have used Garmin and Tom Tom type GPS for on road turn by turn and HERE is easier to use and works just as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz