4x4 Trails Apps

capnjackcanon

Observer
Hey folks, I'm deployed for a year at the moment in Afghanistan. In my down time I am trying to write/co-write an app for 4x4 overlanding.

I would like to be able to open up an app on my phone/tablet and be able to have a google maps like map show me what 4x4 trails are near me and then show me the trail and give me turn by turn to reach the trail. I think a tool like this would make it easier to find trail heads for drivers and also make it so that it's easier to tread lightly and stay on established trails.

My main question to the group here is, what apps are out there already like this, and what do they do well, or not well.

The first goal of my app is to make it easier for folks to get into 4 wheeling, but the second will be as a way to generate donations to a veteran's charity. The goal is to basically to offer free mapping that is community based and community enhanced, but then when you choose to download an offline map, or extra layers it will give the user an option to donate to a local veteran charity based off of geo-location. IE if you are in Arizona and want the offline Arizona maps a prompt will come up offering you the chance to donate to XXXX Arizona Veterans Fund. No one will be required to donate to receive the service, because after all it's a community based app/system but the opportunity to donate will come up every time you download a new map.

Alright I've rambled enough here, any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

1Louder

Explorer
Stick with GAIA. Get them to set up a subset of verifiable 4x4 trails. It would be a ton of work to verify trails are actually open and legal to use vs what is displayed on a electronic topo map. You would have to get the paper maps that the government publishes, attempt to draw routes, and then keep all of that data up to date. Even in AZ that would be difficult. It would be nice if the government could get out of the Stone Age and publish this information electronically in a shareable format. Then all providers of mapping could use the data.

There are plenty of sites that share tracks but it is up to the individual to verify if they are still legal. As for making donations you of course would have to go through the process of becoming a 501c, I think, and then promote your message. I think you would be better of charging for the app and donating the amount you see fit.

You need to build an app that disables vehicles which don't tread lightly! Not a lot can be done to prevent people from violating the rules other than more and more areas getting closed.

Forget attempting to build an app. Just build a web site with downloadable GPX files that people can use in the app of their choice. That would be way more useful since I know loyal users of many different apps that will never change. It's the track data they need. Not another app. Easy to take donations from a web site as well.

Last edited:

biff

Observer
Forget attempting to build an app. Just build a web site with downloadable GPX files that people can use in the app of their choice. That would be way more useful since I know loyal users of many different apps that will never change. It's the track data they need. Not another app. Easy to take donations from a web site as well.

This.
From a development stand point, I assure you this will be much easier.

smlobx

Wanderer
I don't have much to contribute to the app question (I use Ioverlander) but let me thank you for your service.
My son recently came back from the sandbox...

Last edited:

Tazman

Adventurer
I don't have any experience with the App development but wanted to thank you for your service. Watch your six and keep safe. Hopefully you get lots of 4x action in HVs.

Best wishes for a safe return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior