Garmin 64 handheld help

Lilbluerunner

Adventurer
Ok I bought a Garmin 64 handheld for overland use. just taking the Jeep out into the national forest and to Utah mostly. i am finding the instructions sent with the device to be severely lacking. I have a couple of overland routes that I loaded in AR that I would like to check out but am having issues. I tried to plot a course from my home near KC to the trailhead and it gives me an error of too many waypoints or no roads available?

Is there another map that I need to download for this to work? it only shows major highways in my area and doesn't show streets in my town at all. I have used the Nuvi line of Garmin GPS and it was much easier to use but it was for street maps only.

help a GPS newb out! lol

dlh62c

Explorer
I have a 62s myself, I tend to remember that the GPS was shipped with only a world basemap. Some packages come with a Topo mapset, but the unit cost is higher.

Have you downloaded and installed Garmin Basecamp on your computer?

When Basecamp launches and your 64 is connected to the computer via a USB cable, Basecamp will load the mapset that's on the GPS. You can use Basecamp to plan routes, tracks and place waypoints that can be sent, Exported, to the GPS for use.

Garmin's Basecamp

I downloaded and used an OSM mapset for Missouri for awhile.

Free mapsets can be downloaded from the following sites.
travel internationally.

Free TOPO Maps can be found here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Lilbluerunner

Adventurer
I have a 62s myself, I tend to remember that the GPS was shipped with only a world basemap. Some packages come with a Topo mapset, but the unit cost is higher.

Have you downloaded and installed Garmin Basecamp on your computer?

When Basecamp launches and your 64 is connected to the computer via a USB cable, Basecamp will load the mapset that's on the GPS. You can use Basecamp to plan routes, tracks and place waypoints that can be sent, Exported, to the GPS for use.

Garmin's Basecamp

I downloaded and used an OSM mapset for Missouri for awhile.

Free mapsets can be downloaded from the following sites.
travel internationally.

Free TOPO Maps can be found here.

Hope this helps.

Maybe that is what the problem is. They only load a base map so you will have to buy more specific maps for where you want to go.

Lilbluerunner

Adventurer
Yes i have BaseCamp installed on my PC. I still couldn't figure it out.

I am gonna send the unit back and try using Backcountry Navigator on my phone. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab3 that I can use but it is the 10.1" version and I think it will be too big for using in a Wrangler.

Brandr

Thank you all for the info in this thread. I'm looking for my first GPS purchase, and have narrowed it down to the Garmin 64 series. I was about to start a new thread but you folks answered my questions before I could write them down.

To the OP,
I hope the previous posts were helpful to you. Good luck and have a great weekend.

Respectfully,
Brandr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94