Dual Band Radio Opinions

wirenut

Adventurer
The Yaesu lacks lighted buttons. That's about the only negative I can find with it. The Icom would be my pick of the three you mention. I really like the Kenwood except for one fatal flaw (for me). When in cross band repeat mode there is a time out timer set a 3 minutes and it can't be changed. So, if you're monitoring a repeater thru the mobile and the guys are long winded and not letting the squelch tail drop eventually the Kenwood will time out and stop transmitting too you. For me that's a deal breaker because I monitor a lot and there are some windbags. Also, in a public service type event with an emergency net going on I could see it being a problem. For just out camping or trail communication it would probably be fine.
The other problem is that I've owned many Icoms and Yaesus over my 23 years as a ham. I've had very few problems out of any of them. I've only owned 2 Kenwoods and both were very problematic.

fogo

I didn't realize the FT-8800 was being discontinued. I had one of those things on my wishlist for a while, and finally ordered one when I saw the price dropped about a month ago. Guess that explains the great pricing.

I've only been using it for a month now, but I've been very happy with it so far.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
The Yaesu lacks lighted buttons. That's about the only negative I can find with it. .

I had seen a number of people complain about this on reviews, but it hasn't bothered me. I know where the buttons I use the most are, it's not like I am programming memories or trying to set up crossband repeat while I am driving. Been using mine in a dusty hot Jeep for almost 2yrs now with no problem.

mjac

Adventurer
I am just diving in and have lic to get but I have found a Yaesu 7900 for $274.95 and a Yaesu 8800 for $285.95. Each with all the bells an whistles shipped tmd.
Get one? Which one?

Last edited:

wirenut

Adventurer
The 7900 is a great rig but it only does 1 band at a time. The 8800 will let you listen to 2 frequencies at once. Also, it will allow you to do cross-band repeat. Some people don't have a need for this feature. Others, like me, find it very convenient for extending the range of an HT. I use cross-band a lot.
The 7900 does have lighted buttons and a nicer display I think. If you only need 1 band at a time get that one. For my use, I'd get the 8800.

mjac

Adventurer
Well, the 8800 I had my eye on has vanished. That said and while I may or may not use xband for now, I am looking at a Icon 2730 A Deluxe for 330.00 shipped.
Thoughts? Durable?

Frdmskr

Adventurer
What do you want to do with the radio? Talk car to car? Beacon to map areas? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjac

Adventurer
Talk vehicle to vehicle on trail rides. Monitor 2 frequencies at once. I live in very rural area part time and would like to monitor weather and emergency broadcast. Cell phone is very sketchy and sat TV is often out. Do cross-band repeat perhaps in the future. Extending the range of an HT.
Lighted buttons and a nicer display for my tired old eyes.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Well, the 8800 I had my eye on has vanished. That said and while I may or may not use xband for now, I am looking at a Icon 2730 A Deluxe for 330.00 shipped.
Thoughts? Durable?

You won't be disappointed with Icom. Tried and true supplier. Icom is usually my go-to for mobile and Yaesu for HTs.

texascrane

Adventurer
Thoughts? Durable?

Just be aware that Icom doesn't include any mounts with the 2730.

tgreening

Expedition Leader

Most of the time the big outlets like AES or HRO will have a deal going where they toss in brackets, mounts, remote mounting kits, etc. I've bought numerous Icom mobile and never once had to pay extra for the radio mount.

mjac

Adventurer

Yeah, I know.
A poster somewhere said that, selling a mobile radio without a mount was like selling a car without tires. I am calling bs on diverse pricing policy!
However the deluxe package does include a head mount. Woopie. All it is an adapter, as far as I can tell, that lets you use their proprietary suction cup mount. The suction cup mount is an optional extra of course.
I will probably go with the Icom, but I sure hate their nickle and dime marketing.
Rant over.

mjac

Adventurer
Most of the time the big outlets like AES or HRO will have a deal going where they toss in brackets, mounts, remote mounting kits, etc. I've bought numerous Icom mobile and never once had to pay extra for the radio mount.

R and L Electronics has been very helpful and competitive with pricing other ancillary items.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Talk vehicle to vehicle on trail rides. Monitor 2 frequencies at once. I live in very rural area part time and would like to monitor weather and emergency broadcast. Cell phone is very sketchy and sat TV is often out. Do cross-band repeat perhaps in the future. Extending the range of an HT.
Lighted buttons and a nicer display for my tired old eyes.

Considered getting a general ticket? Might suggest not just V/UHF but HF rigs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles